Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a MAG21 on a bike I plan on riding. Any tips on how to get the rigidity to the very maximum of what it can be?
I am using a heavy-duty brake brace by Westpine, a brake booster, and a White Industries front hub. I know, I know, tighten the quick release down nice and tight.
Any other possibilities? I am open to replacing any of the parts I have mentioned if it brings substantial gains in rigidity.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
uphiller said:
I am running a MAG21 on a bike I plan on riding. Any tips on how to get the rigidity to the very maximum of what it can be?
I am using a heavy-duty brake brace by Westpine, a brake booster, and a White Industries front hub. I know, I know, tighten the quick release down nice and tight.
Any other possibilities? I am open to replacing any of the parts I have mentioned if it brings substantial gains in rigidity.
There was a VeloNews tech feature years and years ago that tested various after market braces and what-not. Ultimate "stiffness" for a Mag type fork was achieved with TIGHT Shimano type quick-releases. A White Tracker hub with a TIGHT Shimano QR gives will give you the stiffest Mag fork.

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
Make sure the one you have has steel stanchions. That'll help.

Clark Kent made an aftermarket 2nd brace that bolts to the back of the fork, but good luck finding one!

In my experience, the stock arch was always the stiffest...

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
Yep, Cro-Mo stanchions and an aluminum brace will result in the stiffest setup. The Mag 21SL featured a nearly identical looking brace made from magnesium. It was certainly lighter, but less rigid.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about QR's that aren't QR's, like the Control Tech Control Stix, which presumably allow you to tighten down even more?
In reality, it seems like the most rigid suspension hub would be a Shimano hub, with a solid axle and axle nuts tightened way the heck down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.