Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as you might have figured from other threads, I'm stil deciding what to do about the dork for the dobermann. I've been doing some research on the DJ2, and the threads and stuff I've read point to the DJ2 being a fairly capable fork aside from DJs and Street.

I've got the 2004 DJ2, and its got 110mm travel, armed with a shock pump and different oil weights/volumes can I add some plushness for the fork when I want to take it on the occasional lift?

I like the stiffness for the jumps and park, but when I'm lift riding I'd hate to have a fork that just bounced me around everywhere. It'd be really nice if I could get the fork to a point where It can smooth out some of the roughness from trails, I don't need a perfect fork, just one thats capable.

Think its possible with the fork?

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
I think you'll find the damping is lacking, and on any stutter bumps or rough stuff (any type of lift riding), the forks damping will lag and won't be able to catch up. Plushness wouldn't really matter.
you can still ride it, but just about as far from an ideal trail fork as you can get.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BikeSATORI said:
I think you'll find the damping is lacking, and on any stutter bumps or rough stuff (any type of lift riding), the forks damping will lag and won't be able to catch up. Plushness wouldn't really matter.
you can still ride it, but just about as far from an ideal trail fork as you can get.
yeaa, but I'm still thinking about the 80mm Gold Label for more of an ideal park fork, would that be any better when I took it to the trails?

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
Lickqid said:
yeaa, but I'm still thinking about the 80mm Gold Label for more of an ideal park fork, would that be any better when I took it to the trails?
I couldn't tell you how it does as a trail fork, I have no clue...
It's just hard to have a bike that you plan on riding street/park with, but then you also want to ride lift serviced trails with it too...
street/park you want super stiff, steeep geometry that is quick, not to mention tires with super low rolling resistance and high psi
lift service trails you want slacker geo., bit longer wheelbase, more stability, and plush/good damping susp. and knobby tires for max grip and med. psi... opposites of street/park/dj
and any compromise inbetween right now is just basically mediocre IMO.

I'd say pick up the GL and make your dobermann a solid park specific bike as it's main purpose... But, if you don't have another bike, it'll just be a challenge to ride the slippery bronco down some gnarly steeps and still hang on, haha... :D

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BikeSATORI said:
I couldn't tell you how it does as a trail fork, I have no clue...
It's just hard to have a bike that you plan on riding street/park with, but then you also want to ride lift serviced trails with it too...
street/park you want super stiff, steeep geometry that is quick, not to mention tires with super low rolling resistance and high psi
lift service trails you want slacker geo., bit longer wheelbase, more stability, and plush/good damping susp. and knobby tires for max grip and med. psi... opposites of street/park/dj
and any compromise inbetween right now is just basically mediocre IMO.

I'd say pick up the GL and make your dobermann a solid park specific bike as it's main purpose... But, if you don't have another bike, it'll just be a challenge to ride the slippery bronco down some gnarly steeps and still hang on, haha... :D
yea, I'd love to get the GL, but thats a big investment when I've got a perfectly capable fork for street/park already. I can deal with the weight I've decided, but If the height starts bugging me I might just email Brand at NemPro, he told me he could ship me out a travel reduction kit for the DJ2, it might be just what I need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.