Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a Race Face Turbine Crank with a 189 spindle, has anyone tried a 174 spindle? Seems I have room to do it but would need a chainring that is reverse and some spacers. But before I start ordering want to know if anyone has tried it, thanks.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Currently have a Race Face Turbine Crank with a 189 spindle, has anyone tried a 174 spindle? Seems I have room to do it but would need a chainring that is reverse and some spacers. But before I start ordering want to know if anyone has tried it, thanks.
When I bought mine in 2016, it had a Race Face Turbine crank and I swapped the 189m spindle with a 169mm. I just had to flip the chainring so it is offset outward and pull the 10mm spacers out from each side. I have no idea why it doesn't come from the factory this way. 169mm is perfect for the Turbines, I'd go that route.

If you actually find a 174mm spindle, let me know. I now have Next SLs on the bike and the q-factor is narrower than the Turbines. The cranks are within 2 mm of each stay, with careful addition of .5mm spacers on each side it rarely brushes against them. 174mm would be perfect for the Next SLs, but I haven't ever seen 174mm available.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Arm&Hammer: If brentos’ post above has you thinking about trying to replace your 189mm spindle with a 169mm version, please check your personal messages. With Covid, the RaceFace fat spindles are hard to find, and I have a 169mm RaceFace spindle that I’d trade for your 189mm spindle. Thanks.

·
Banned
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I bought mine in 2016, it had a Race Face Turbine crank and I swapped the 189m spindle with a 169mm. I just had to flip the chainring so it is offset outward and pull the 10mm spacers out from each side. I have no idea why it doesn't come from the factory this way. 169mm is perfect for the Turbines, I'd go that route.

If you actually find a 174mm spindle, let me know. I now have Next SLs on the bike and the q-factor is narrower than the Turbines. The cranks are within 2 mm of each stay, with careful addition of .5mm spacers on each side it rarely brushes against them. 174mm would be perfect for the Next SLs, but I haven't ever seen 174mm available.
Thanks for this advice. Just installed the 169 with Turbines is perfect, I did have to add an additional 2mm spacer each side though.

Big shout out to FitmanNJ!

·
Registered
849 Posts

How about 178mm? https://neutrinocomponents.com/index.php?id_product=36&controller=product&id_lang=1

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Good find! Is that fully compatible w/ the Race Face cranks/bottom brackets? The end to end length looks good, but the arm interface and bearing seats are the same?

Interesting too, I just saw they make crank arms. I've been looking to get a shorter set of cranks for my son's XS Farley, these look perfect. Do you have any experience with the company? The SRAM direct mount may be a bit limiting on Q-Factor vs. chainline though.

Thank you!

Edit: Looks like that spindle is 6-lobe, where the RaceFace is 8 lobe. Still interested in feedback though, as I'd like to get a crankset for my son's fat bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.