Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

I recently bought a Specialized Rockhopper Disk 2005 (UK). I use this bike for commuting to work everyday as well as XC on the weekend. I recently weighed my bike and found out it weighs 32lbs! It’s a 17” frame. I'm also bit of a light rider at 136lbs. I've got about £500 ($900) to spend at the moment on making the bike lighter. I'd also like to through making the bike lighter get some better quality components.

The spec of my bike is below –

FRAME A1 Premium Aluminium, disc only, double butted front triangle with 3-D box gusset, reinforced disc mount, externally machined HT, forged alloy drop outs with eyelets and replaceable derailleur hanger

FORK Manitou Axle Elite, 100mm, Fluid Flow damping with adjustable rebound, alloy steerer , Black Nitride coated 28.6mm Cr-Mo stanchions, Mag Disc Only lowers

HEADSET 1 1/8” threadless, black steel cups, loose ball bearings with seals

STEM Alloy 10 degree rise, forged and TIG-welded, 13/15”: 75mm, 17/19”: 90mm, 21/23”: 105mm

HANDLEBARS Alloy, 38mm rise, 9 degree sweep

TAPE / GRIPS Specialized double density Kraton

FRONT BRAKE Shimano M-525 full hydraulic disc, Post mount, 6” rotor

REAR BRAKE Shimano M-525 full hydraulic disc, 6” rotor

BRAKE LEVERS Shimano M-525 full hydraulic disc

FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano M-510 Deore, 34.9mm clamp, bottom pull

REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano M-570 LX

SHIFT LEVERS Shimano SL-M510 Deore

CASSETTE Shimano HG-50, 9-speed, 11x34t

CHAIN Shimano HG-53

CRANKSET Shimano Deore, Hollowtech arms, 13/15”:170, 17-23”:175mm

CHAINRINGS 44s/32s/22s

BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano, BB-UN25 68x118mm

PEDALS Shimano Clipless M540

RIMS Mavic XM-117 disc, 26”, 32h

FRONT HUB Specialized, Disc 32 hole with alloy QR

REAR HUB Shimano M-475 Disc, 32 hole, loose ball bearings, alloy Q/R

SPOKES 1.8mm (15g) black stainless, brass nipples, L260/R263mm front, L261/R260mm rear

FRONT TIRE Specialized Crossroads Armadillo 26 x 1.95”, wire bead

REAR TIRE Specialized Crossroads Armadillo 26 x 1.95”, wire bead

TUBES Specialized, schraeder valve

SADDLE Selle Italia SLR (135g)

SEAT POST Alloy 30.9mmx350/400mm, micro adjust

SEAT BINDER Alloy QR, 36mm I.D.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I have already done my research and found out that wheels and tires are good place to upgrade to loose weight. Also I weighed my bike on my bathroom scales so I'm not sure how accurate that is. Hopefully its incorrect and my bike is a little lighter! :) My Dad works for the Postal industry and he said I should weigh my bike there as they have good scales. I have already picked out a few new bike parts I'd like some advice on.

Nokian NBX Lite 2.0 Kevlar (Fold Up)
Conti Supersonic Tubes
XT Disk Hubs, Mavic 717 Rims, DT Rev Spokes

TiTec Pork Rinds
Syntace F99
Syntace Duraflite 7075

Rock Shox Reba Race 06

Thanks

Danny

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
One thing I may recommend is that since you weigh only 136 lbs, you could consider getting a SID. A SID will prolly cost similar to a reba race and be a half pound lighter and prolly will suit your needs just fine. The manitou you've got probably weighs in upwards of the 5 lbs range im guessing, so a huge weight savings there since the SID weighs about 3 lbs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did have a little look at the SID. I wasn't sure if it's durabell enough for my riding style. I don't do any jumps just XC fairly technical. Can the SID stand up to this? I would be looking at the 06 model as well.

Danny

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
If you are keen to save weight and be a weight weenie....Id say...go to argos and get a kitchen scale...and pull it to bits and weigh everything.

Construct a spreadsheet in excel if you have excel. use http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php for comparison purposes. I did one for my last bike, I had a Pounds(money)/lb ratio aswell to try and help show what was the best value to weight saving.

Nerdy, but very helpful I found.

Stu

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
dangillow said:
I did have a little look at the SID. I wasn't sure if it's durabell enough for my riding style. I don't do any jumps just XC fairly technical. Can the SID stand up to this? I would be looking at the 06 model as well.

Danny
y mate who is a fair bit heavier than you and like technical xc has been using a pair for 5 years....they are a little flexy though, but under your weight they will probably be fine. You could keep it britsih and get some pace forks hehe, light (altough not SID light) but stiffer. probably more money than the lower end sids though.

Stu

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stuart B, I've already got a Excel spreadsheet going! :) I've also been using that weight weenie site for bike part listings. Although I am struggling to find the weight of my current wheel set and my proposed new wheel set. I think I might take a good look into the SID.

Danny

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
add cassette (xt or ultegra if you can handle the higher gears) and seatpost (use or thompson, trim them or spend more for lighter). xt hub is kinda heavy, american classic has been good to me so far.

manitou black or minute 2's are being blown out, find a 100mm version. sid is 80mm, dunno how that would affect your handling; what is the head angle spec'd at?

cheap fishing scale:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00030AH32/103-3844847-1631003?v=glance

i believe they have a metric version as well. or get a dual scale from a local sporting goods store. digital ones should be accurate to an ounce, +- an ounce.

sette stems from pricepoint are light and cheap. performance handlebars too.

rear derailler, old style xt's are being blown out, shimano 105's too, but require 27 tooth max cassette.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
drunkle said:
add cassette (xt or ultegra if you can handle the higher gears) and seatpost (use or thompson, trim them or spend more for lighter). xt hub is kinda heavy, american classic has been good to me so far.

manitou black or minute 2's are being blown out, find a 100mm version. sid is 80mm, dunno how that would affect your handling; what is the head angle spec'd at?

cheap fishing scale:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00030AH32/103-3844847-1631003?v=glance

i believe they have a metric version as well. or get a dual scale from a local sporting goods store. digital ones should be accurate to an ounce, +- an ounce.

sette stems from pricepoint are light and cheap. performance handlebars too.

rear derailler, old style xt's are being blown out, shimano 105's too, but require 27 tooth max cassette.
The head angle on my rockhopper is 70.0°. Would a 80mm SID work well on my bike? Or would it mess to much with the geometry? I might go down a ask my lbs about that one. But I can see the SID working for me. It would be a good weight saving.

Danny

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
should be fine, drop your head angle down to around 71 which is "race geometry". code speak for "twitchy". add a longer stem or wide risers and should be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts