Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
A Man Of The Truth
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Maverick ML7 running some old but rock solid Rolf Dolomite wheels. And I have these bontrager low profile tread tires that grip EVERYTHING and are super fast. So it really is a kick ass, awesome mountain bike. But one day a week I usually do a long distance road ride at nice. But I have no interest in riding a road bike. Besides I'm doing 2.5 to 5' drops the whole time. I know where all the best staircases and loading docks are along the routes I go. But I still had the idea that if I got a fat set of slicks, i'd be better off. But I have no interest in swapping tires twice a week. So I bought me a set of $100 wheels. And I bought a new 6" disc (I already had an unused spare) and I bought a cheap 9 speed cassette. So I stuck it all together with the idea of being able to toss back and forth between my road wheels and mountain wheels. The widest tires I could find were 2.0's but I swear they are 1.5's, they looks significantly narrower than my 2.2 mountain tires. Which means my bike looks ridiculous but who really gives a **** about that. More important issues include the cassette. When I got into my higher, faster gears, it rumbles in a way that I can only describe as, it feels like the pulleys on the derailer are being pushed hard up into the cassette. I haven't had time to put the bike up on a stand yet to see what's really going on. This is also my second set of cheap wheels. The first set from another company were so shitty, they were covered in scratches, and the bearing in the hub were so shitty, i could barely hold the axle still in my hands if i spun the wheel. By comparison, if I spin my Rolf wheels off the bike, just holding the skewers in my hands, the axle won't move at all, and the wheels will spin on their bearings with just that tiny bit of friction on the axle. SO anyway, yeah I got a second set of new wheels and there wasn't much difference. I figured I'd just toss em on and deal with it since I don't want to spend a lot of money on nice road wheels. I'm wondering if the bearing will loosen up at all as they get used? I'm also hoping that my 5 foot concrete to concrete drops don't make quick work of these cheap wheels. In the end, I'm just hoping that this whole endeavor wasn't a big waste of time and money. But if I ever buy slicks/new slick again, they need to be at least 2.5's :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts