Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'Day all,
Getting into videoing my rides and was after some advice.
Firstly, I'm attempting to mount my video camera to the side of an old helmet in an aluminium container I'm manufacturing. Can anyone offer any advice on things to consider and traps to look for? I'm trying to make a 2 piece container lined with foam to protect the camera and dustproof it also.
Secondly, when (and if) I get the video, what are some good editing programs to use? I want to be able to add music, put in effects (slow motion, negative/positive, pixellate etc.), add still photos and set up a DVD with chapters.
Thanks!

·
Its only 1" on the map!
1,161 Posts
Boatrace said:
G'Day all,
Getting into videoing my rides and was after some advice.
Firstly, I'm attempting to mount my video camera to the side of an old helmet in an aluminium container I'm manufacturing. Can anyone offer any advice on things to consider and traps to look for? I'm trying to make a 2 piece container lined with foam to protect the camera and dustproof it also.
Secondly, when (and if) I get the video, what are some good editing programs to use? I want to be able to add music, put in effects (slow motion, negative/positive, pixellate etc.), add still photos and set up a DVD with chapters.
Thanks!
Here is my Video How to Guide.
http://www.mountainbikebill.com/HowToVideo.htm

·
DIRTYAMERICAN
334 Posts
You can buy a cheap helmet cam for under $100 --Tony Hawk cam or atc-1000. You don't want all your video to be helmet cam...you want multiple angles or else it gets boring. I use Windows Movie Maker for the main project but Adobe After Affects for specific functions. I used to use more than that but I keep it simple now.

The best advice I can give you is make the music go with the video..crappy vids just look like video with music as some background audio stimuli. Make everything work together...scene changes with the changes in the music and stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. There's certainly a lot to chew through! I've gone with an Aluminium box which I've bent into shape and lined with foam to offer protection. Would there be any advantages of mounting the camer on the side or top of the helmet? I've noticed a lot of the cameras are side mounted and was wondering what the advantage would be...
As for the editing software, there's an amazing variety out there also! Keep the suggestions comingas I greatly appreciate it!

·
MTB parts whore
78 Posts
I've tried using the ATC-1000 for a helmet cam while MTBing. It works okay out in the open in bright light. But as soon as you hit the trees and it darkens up, it gets all blurry even with minor bumps. It's even worse when you go from light to dark and back alot because it does not adjust to the new light very quickly.

·
MTB parts whore
78 Posts
The frame rate is fixed and is specified to be 15fps. Maybe they will upgrade this, but I don't think it will help.

I typically would use the maximum resolution, which is spec'd to be 640x480. Again, I don't think changing this will help much. There are two lower resolution settings available.

Looking at the video, it sems to be an issue with the aperature response time and resolution. You can see the aperature change in chunks, rather than smoothly like in a normal camcorder. And it can take a half second or so to change and by that time I may have ridden through a light/dark patch and back and the camera just won't pick up that transitional moment. The video will be either blacked or whited out.

I'm not sure what is causing the blurriness in low light scenarios. I would think that it could be fixed with a higher quality video sensor which requires less light to work. Then the aperature wouldn't have to open so much to let in more light and things might not blur out. Again, it's fine as long as there are no sudden movements, but sudden movements happen constantly while MTBing.

I have also used it on my motorcycle at the racetrack and other than some minor electrical interference, it works great. The lighting doesn't change that quickly or radically, so the camera doesn't have to work too hard to keep up. The only light changes comes from directional changes relative to the sun and those are usually minimal. In this scenario, there is good lighting and the camera is stable, so I get good video.

I can send you some sample video if you'd like... the file would be at least 10MB though. Let me know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dking, sorry about the delay in reply - long story but not able to get to a computer! That's be great to see the vid but I think my email inbox would self destruct after about 2Mb. Is there anyway you could post it somewhere for me to view and / or download?

·
When in doubt, go faster
2,122 Posts
The best wat is to mount two camcorders on each side of a MX helmet. cam# one gets the wide shot, and cam# two gets a bit of a zoomed up shot that you only use once or twice.

·
Registered
143 Posts
mtbbill said:
Love your videos, bro.

After seeing a lot of your footage, it made me want to buy my own helmet cam in Feb this year. I also got mine from helmetcamera.com.

I've just got a basic setup, using a Sony Camcorder in my backpack, the helmetcam on top, and a microphone strapped to my chest. At first, I just brought the footage back for some simple editting using Windows Movie Maker, but now I'm getting into Power Director.

Here's my setup details, with pics:

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Need Some Help

Guys:

I have the little blue Samsung camcorder/helmet cam, a Power Mac G4, Quicktime Pro, IMovie, (iLife) and what not.
I'm just starting to tape stuff from Diablo and can't really do much with the footage because I don't know the programs that well. I can't even e-mail the 5 minute clip I have to anyone because it's such a huge file. :mad:
Anyone know of any books I can read up on to use this stuff to the full capability it has?

Thanks in advance,
KAT

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.