Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a website that I can download the info from my Garmin 205 to and then print out a map. Does any such site exist?

Joey

·
since 4/10/2009
33,461 Posts
For printing...your choices are few. Mapmyride.com has something with their premium membership that lets you print 'cue sheets' but I don't have a premium membership there and don't know if those are any good for mtb.

You're better off using standalone software for printing. I like NG Topo! for printing, since it gives coordinates in the margins, grid lines, a declination chart, an elevation profile, and the map imagery looks nicer than many others. But it has its drawbacks. While you can download tracks from your GPS to the software, you cannot load a track from the software to the GPS. Why...I have no idea.

If you have other tasks in mind, it's probable that there is a software package that provides the tasks you want. They may not all be in the same software package, though. I really like Topofusion for easy viewing on multiple different basemap types and the 'network' algorithm. Plus it also does geotagging of photos and several other things. But from what I've been able to figure out, it doesn't print as well as NG Topo!.

The online services out there are plentiful. But they're more geared towards sharing your ride online easily. The maps work great in trip reports on your blog or in some forums (they work in this one). Some of them work okay for tracking your fitness if you use a HRM or anything like that, too. But with fitness, some are much better than others. For sharing, most of them offer the same basic set of features. Trimble Outdoors seems to offer the best trip report sharing options of the bunch, but that site really doesn't pay attention to any of the fitness data you might be collecting.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Topofusion

joeywv said:
I am looking for a website that I can download the info from my Garmin 205 to and then print out a map. Does any such site exist? Joey
Topofusion will put it on a topo map: http://www.topofusion.com/
It will also geotag photos and link to them on the map. My Garmin 705 software will display the ride on Google Earth, which you can screen capture.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...

What I am wanting to do is map out some road rides and mtb rides in my local area. Then print them off so I can give them to folks looking for a places to ride. Nothing fancy just something cheap and simple.

So what standalone software system would do me the most good?

Joey

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Topofusion

joeywv said:
So what standalone software system would do me the most good?
Joey
Two of us have suggested Topofusion, why not give the trial version a try? The image below was created with TF. There are also ways to put your ride on interactive Google Maps, so you get streets, and even directions. Something this: https://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/map/

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
I will third the TopoFusion recommendation, try it!

Here is a trail network done with TopoFusion.

·
since 4/10/2009
33,461 Posts
That mappingsupport site is quite streamlined. The Google Maps plugin I use on my site chokes on larger .gpx files, so I wonder how this would work for them...I'll have to play with it. I am beginning to see more people add MyTopo map data to the Google Maps API, and I'm wondering how one might go about that. It certainly interests me, and makes me wonder whether I can add that data to the plugin I do use (one thing I like about the plugin I use is that it displays graphs of ride stats on .gpx files, but unfortunately not for .kml files).

Topofusion is pretty inexpensive for the full version compared to many mapping utilities. It's going for about $65 right now (from Geoman) and that gets you high quality imagery for the entire US. Not sure about other countries. For Topo!, I see that there is a relatively new web-based version where you pay for the imagery you download, but it seems to be free to use otherwise. It might be worth checking out, too. Just go here.

Regardless, you can try free versions of many programs before you buy them. I recommend trying whatever you can to decide which you would like to purchase. You can ask all the questions you want in here, but you won't really figure out what you want/need until you use some different programs and decide for yourself.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Try this

I just learned of this program this morning and I have not read more than the first few pages of instructions. However if you have a gpx file on the web just paste the following into your web browser, and then paste the URL of your gpx file after it. I see we are in the same boat in some ways. Perhaps that's why we are a bit cranky sometimes, and we spend so much time here. I'd give anything to get on a trainer or just ride my bike around the block. Good luck!

"http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?q="

E.g., "http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/Maps/Melones.gpx"

·
since 4/10/2009
33,461 Posts
Wherewolf said:
I just learned of this program this morning and I have not read more than the first few pages of instructions. However if you have a gpx file on the web just paste the following into your web browser, and then paste the URL of your gpx file after it. I see we are in the same boat in some ways. Perhaps that's why we are a bit cranky sometimes, and we spend so much time here. I'd give anything to get on a trainer or just ride my bike around the block. Good luck!

"http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?q="

E.g., "http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/Maps/Melones.gpx"
Oh, I know I get cranky because I'm missing out on stuff. someone else (on my cancer discussion) referred to it as "cancertankerous". I like that term.

I glazed over the instructions to get a basic idea of what it could do. Looks like it can do most of the things relative to sharing, anyway, that most of the other websites can do. Just that you put your files elsewhere in order to refer to them in the code you use. Looks like you can use files with geotagged photos and make trip reports, which is pretty cool.

I found out (with lots of trial and error) with the Google Maps plugin I use that it has a really hard time parsing large .gpx files. That was the problem I was having with my Photofusioned .gpx files. It's not that they were somehow screwed up by Topofusion, but rather they were too big for the code I've been using. When I have a chance to sit down and play with it, I'll try it with some of the same large .gpx files and see if this website can handle them better. If it does, I may use it instead of the plugin I have been using. It'll make my website lighter, I think. I'll suffer through the loss of ride stats, I suppose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts