Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i am looking to turn an old(90's) schwinn 27 speed in a single speed. but the last thing i rode with 1 gear was a bmx about 15 years ago. so, with that said, i have no idea about the conversion. i was just looking for the simplest and cheapest route. this is not a top end bike at all and just want to convert for some cruising and experience. i saw some kits on jenson and ebay, but dont wanna make a dumb purchase. i think i want a 36/18 or somewhere in that neighborhood. so any tips on kits, parts or even ratios would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hey, the faq on this page, all the other conversion threads at this page, dirt rag's page, and nemba's page (www.nemba.org) should get you started . . . i just converted and finally ifnished and went for my first ride around the neighborhood half an hour ago . . . basically all you'll really need to get that you don't have right now is some spacers to take up the space of the six gears you'll be pulling off. then you can take off your big and little rings and just run your middle ring and use youre old derailleur as a tensioner (instructions on this abound on this site and others) and go ride. or . . . i bought an ss specific chainring, basguard, tensioner (surly singletor) and spacer kit (all told about $130) and did it thtat way. also having a new wheel built with a white indistries eno eccentric hub ($130 for hub plus prob another 100 for rims, spokes, labor, etc.) will remove need for tensioner. also see thread about vertical dropouts and possibiity that with yr chainstays yo udon't need a tensioner. good luck

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
another linky

one of KB's rants from many years ago... 'how to build a 'single speed' from the reject pyle.... of course his reject pile is pretty sweet!
http://www.bontrager.com/keith/

bhhad25 said:
i am looking to turn an old(90's) schwinn 27 speed in a single speed. but the last thing i rode with 1 gear was a bmx about 15 years ago. so, with that said, i have no idea about the conversion. i was just looking for the simplest and cheapest route. this is not a top end bike at all and just want to convert for some cruising and experience. i saw some kits on jenson and ebay, but dont wanna make a dumb purchase. i think i want a 36/18 or somewhere in that neighborhood. so any tips on kits, parts or even ratios would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.