Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my 26er Cdale trail 4 sl is a lrg...im 5.10......Today I rode a 29er superfly in size 15.5 with a 120mm stem at the bike shop just for fun and it felt really good....other lrg 29ers ive rode just felt too big and bulky but this one felt really good...is this even possible??? lol being a small frame?

Jeremy Reed

Jeremy Reed

·
Registered
310 Posts
Kinda? Looking at the geometry the ett on the SF is longer than I'd expect for a small frame. With that long a stem...it could work for you. I'm the same height as you and generally fall between medium and large. I'd try to ride the same bike in medium with a shorter stem and see how that hits you.

My Paradox has a short ett for me at 23.2 but I run a setback post so I can run a shorter stem. Wider bars can give you a little more cockpit room also. That said I'd be hesitant to go with a small, a 120mm stem is pretty long by today's standards and might be counter to the frames optimal design.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Owner said of i woild have needed a 120 tonget mh length right he wouldnt have done it fue to like said above,the geometry would be wrong.so I was mistaken it was a 100 and like I said the bike felt good for a 29...almost like I was riding my 26..weird

Jeremy Reed

·
Super Moderator
4,968 Posts
At 5'10" a 15.4" Superfly should be way to small unless your body has very odd proportions.

The ETT of your current 'dale is 24.2", the ETT fo a 15.5" 'fly is 22.4", almost 2" shorter. If you're looking for a bike with similar length of ETT then you need a 18.5" 'fly.

Anyone using long stems to fix short top tubes needs to re-do bicycle fit school 101 IMO.

Just my 2c

·
Super Moderator
4,968 Posts
One last thing to consider:

The Trail is a good entry level bike, it is supposed to put the rider in a more upright riding position, also I find Cannondales have slightly shorter top tubes than other comparative bikes.

The Superfly is a good XC race bike, it is supposed to stretch the rider out and put them in a more aggressive riding position.

That may be why the 15.5" may feel good right now, it's putting you in a similar upright position to the Cannondale.

At the end of the day while shops and internet forums can give you all the advice in the world it finally does come down to how you feel on the bike. If it feels good for you then it feels good for you.

Enjoy what you ride, and ride the heck out of it... DB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, I have basically the same proportions as you, 5'10" with 29" inseam, and I went from a 18" Rocky Mountain, to a 15.5 Specialized Rockhopper 29er.

I totally understand how a medium sized 29er feels to big, the first time I ever rode one, I told the guy I felt like I was a kid riding my dad's bike...

Everyone said that the 15.5" would be to small, but reading up on the geometry, the ETT length was 1-2MM longer than the Rocky Mountain I had, and I find the bike very comfortable.

If your able to take the bike on a decent test ride, (not just in circles in a parking lot) I'd say give it a try.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.