Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

As a Jersey resident I still haven't been up to Diablo (Im at the other end of the state) & probably won't get there for another month or so...life has just been very hectic.

Anyhow, I would like to make it up there a couple times before the end of the season, but I'm not sure if my bike can handle it, so I could use a little advice here.

I'm about 220 or so w/ gear & not very experienced w/ jumping & drops so I'd likely be taking it fairly easy & would be going w/ another beginner.

My bike:
Here's the most recent pic, although some things have changed & I have some parts ready to go on:

'04 Haro X2
Fork - Marz EXR Pro - 120mm
Rear Shock - Fox Vanilla R - 6" Travel
Brakes - Hayes Mags
Wheels - Sun Hill Rod, standard QR, Blue Groove & Nevegal tires both 2.35
Crankset - FSA Alpha Drive w/ Bash - (have Hussefelts to replace these)
Front D - Sram XGen, Rear D - Sram X.9, X.9 Triggers
Bars/Stem - Husselfelt DH & Generic 31.8 50mm Stem

Biggest concern is the fork/wheels. I'd like to budget about $500 +/- for fork/wheels.

I could pick up a used Jr. T pretty cheap, but that would be way overkill for the rest of the local trails I ride plus would suck going uphill. I was thinking about a Pike (although this will be a bit hard to swing money-wise) or maybe Flick as I'd be able to use them at local spots. The wheels as well would likely have to go, atleast the front to a 20mm, so I'm thinking Outlaws or maybe find a used front wheel.

What are your thoughts? Anything else I should be concerned about? Any reccomendations on tires? Should I even bother or would I have more fun on one of their rentals?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thx,

Mark

·
I like air!
915 Posts
The fork really only the weak point for Diablo. You could upgrade it for Diablo but then it would be overkill for most trail riding.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Not a bad set up for the tame stuff, but more travel in the fork will save you in narly-ness.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know plenty of guys who take haros to DIABLO exactly like that one, but with some upgrades. These guys will do anything at DIABLO. I would get a new fork and some rims like you had said. I would get a hevier front rim. for for I would maybe go dual crown, but a longer single crown would also work.
These forks would be good for you price range.
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13...Accessories/2005-Marzocchi-Z.1-Freeride-3.htm
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/12...-59-Forks/Accessories/2004-Marzocchi-Jr-T.htm
My friend got this fork for his haro.
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13...cessories/2004-Rock-Shox-Boxxer-Team-Fork.htm
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13...59-Forks/Accessories/2005-Marzocchi-888VF.htm
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK605A31-Manitou+Sherman+Slider+Plus+05.aspx
http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/Items.asp?Cc=FK-ROC

·
#1 Latex Salesman
1,869 Posts
hey Mark...since it's your first time to Diablo you should take that bike as is. And shoot me an email before you go. I live about half way, we could meet up and I'll be happy to show you around. There are plenty of trails you can hit on that bike. You might want to walk a few sections, but it's definitely worth it. You can always decide to rent after a few runs if you like.

I'd put the $500 toward lift passes, rentals and gas rather than building this bike to be OK at Diablo, OK on the trails, but great at neither. A few visits to Diablo and you'll want to buy a new DH rig anyway.

ps - I'd also put some of that $500 toward an inexpensive full face helmet for now. yeah, you can rent all the gear, but a rental helmet in August...not good.

·
Registered
55 Posts
While you'd definitely have more fun on a rental, at 90 bucks for the day it gets really expensive if you're gonna go 2-3 times.
You *could* ride your bike as is, but you'll definitely be wishing you had a stiffer/longer travel fork. It sucks to use a long travel DC fork for trail riding though. One of the options you have is to get a DC fork and new front wheel and swap it only for DH riding. Kind of a pain, but may be worth it, if you do good amount of pedaling/climbing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
RTM said:
hey Mark...since it's your first time to Diablo you should take that bike as is. And shoot me an email before you go. I live about half way, we could meet up and I'll be happy to show you around. There are plenty of trails you can hit on that bike. You might want to walk a few sections, but it's definitely worth it. You can always decide to rent after a few runs if you like.

I'd put the $500 toward lift passes, rentals and gas rather than building this bike to be OK at Diablo, OK on the trails, but great at neither. A few visits to Diablo and you'll want to buy a new DH rig anyway.

ps - I'd also put some of that $500 toward an inexpensive full face helmet for now. yeah, you can rent all the gear, but a rental helmet in August...not good.
Agree with the whole post!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good points Rob! :thumbsup: I will get in touch with you when we finally go.

I was wondering about a rental FF or buying my own. The latter might be the better option. The fork & front wheel on this bike has to go regardless, I hate it...way too flexy. I'll keep in mind what you said before blowing a bunch of coin. Driving the Jeep up there will likely cost an arm & a leg. :madman:

·
Lez go.
217 Posts
Before I got a DH setup, I made it through a couple of seasons at Diablo on a similar bike but with a Marz Z-1 FR 150mm and some good mavic rims. Sure, you can still do most everything if you get a better fork, but coming from someone who rode that way for two seasons I would definitely say keep your current setup as is for whatever else you ride during the week and put that $500 toward a DH rig. There's just no comparison. If you're on a budget, a good way to go (as I did) is find a used frame from someone who only went DH'ing a couple of times (there are plenty out there) and pick up a FR/DH build kit for around $1K. Wheelworld ususally has some good deals.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Don't buy a used wheel. Wheels are one of the worst things you can buy used.

Anyway, I really want to get up there as well, give me a shout if you would want to carpool. Max-a-mil was saying his schedule in August has some more freetime so maybe a big group could head up there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts