Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Giant boulder. Factory and instead of upgrading to a new bike, I upgraded this one, I rode it factory for one summer and could see that having 7 speeds was a drag on hills.
so i spent the money and got a 9speed cassett, new shifters and Rear derailleur.
My thought is for what i have in this bike I could have bought a better bike for about the same money. with those features already on it. I also would like to upgrade the shocks.
I ride all mountain,

·
Registered
365 Posts
Do yourself a favor and save up for something in the "sport" or "performance" section of the website. Many times, if you price it out, a complete bike may cost less than the components alone because of the bulk purchasing power of bike companies. That's just my thoughts and I'm by no means an expert so take it for what it's worth.

p.s. if you are an all mountain kind of rider it might be worth considering something with rear suspension as well. Maybe the Yukon FX??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My thought was when I bought this bike it was a better bike than my walmart bike with no suspension, plus my first time rididng in years. i didnt have much $$$ at the time and still don't. I hope after i get the front shocks upgraded that i can ride this bike for several more years with little reget. and maybe in that amount of time i can get the money to jump up to the next level.

·
Registered
71 Posts
the bolder has rim brakes, right? If it does, I doubt you could upgrade the fork to anything substantially better without also upgrading to disc... If I were you, I'd ride the bolder and make the most of it, or try and sell for a couple hundred bucks and fork over the cash to get something with a better OE fork. You would probably get more aggressive gearing that way, as I think the bolder has more casual road type gearing on the cranks.

·
Registered
365 Posts
SkaPig said:
the bolder has rim brakes, right? If it does, I doubt you could upgrade the fork to anything substantially better without also upgrading to disc... If I were you, I'd ride the bolder and make the most of it, or try and sell for a couple hundred bucks and fork over the cash to get something with a better OE fork. You would probably get more aggressive gearing that way, as I think the bolder has more casual road type gearing on the cranks.
Good point....I didn't even think about that. A lot of budget entry level bikes are getting mechanical disk brakes now so I didn't consider a fork designed around rim brakes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.