Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Canberra Life

Ssssh - don't tell too many people!
Got to love a place that takes 15mins to get to work by car or 20mins by bike!
Am really enjoying the lifrstyle here - not to mention Majura, Kowen (Mont 24hr location) and Sparrow Hill - all within a 30 min drive!
Glad you enjoyed Majura - did you get to zoom down any of the gullies? First time I did some of the big ones I was really relieved to survive - now they are old hat and it's really funny to see other 1st timers expressions as they try them!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tegski said:
Ssssh - don't tell too many people!
Got to love a place that takes 15mins to get to work by car or 20mins by bike!
Am really enjoying the lifrstyle here - not to mention Majura, Kowen (Mont 24hr location) and Sparrow Hill - all within a 30 min drive!
Glad you enjoyed Majura - did you get to zoom down any of the gullies? First time I did some of the big ones I was really relieved to survive - now they are old hat and it's really funny to see other 1st timers expressions as they try them!
hey tegski, my bro rides there alot and he is a member of CORC

gullies are scary... but yeah, i rode them... with much trepidation... but really i shoulda attacked them

i suppose in sydney, you would've faceplanted because the gully wouldn't be anywhere near that smooth

unfortunately, it is a 3hr drive for me... lucky my bro lives there and shows me around

you lucky bugger!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Visit your rellies!

Now you don't have any excuse to visit - just pack the bike!
I too am a member of CORC - is your brother racing in Tumut this w/e?
I am going there to try the new tracks that the Forrestry workers have made - sounds good..5km laps for 3hrs. 70% singletrack!
When are you moving here!!!
Actually I do know some of the good tracks around Sydney - used to live in Glenbrook and started riding there - lots of fun in the mtns. I don't miss the grinding sound of all the sand in the drivetrain though!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, my bro's name is Ray.. He rides a Silver Santa Cruz Superlight

He is racing in Tumult this weekend...

Get him on MTBR! :p

Glenbrook is a great place to ride. The Oakes is a fave, especially the singletrack at the end.... but not in the same league as the freeride opportunities like Majura... Look fwd to trying other forests in Canberra

·
Registered
147 Posts
Racing in Tumut

No chance of seeing you brother as there were 200+ at Tumut - took all by suprise!
Interesting with lots of local young racers - yell track and they stop for you...in the middle of the track! Lots of fun was had by all I think...funny racing and coming up to a bike with kickstand still attached!
Hope your brother had as much fun as I did...3hr race coming up at Majura you know - see CORC website.

wotzapollohimalaya said:
yeah, my bro's name is Ray.. He rides a Silver Santa Cruz Superlight

He is racing in Tumult this weekend...

Get him on MTBR! :p

Glenbrook is a great place to ride. The Oakes is a fave, especially the singletrack at the end.... but not in the same league as the freeride opportunities like Majura... Look fwd to trying other forests in Canberra

·
Registered
547 Posts
I saw the see saw up there the other day. Unfortunately I was going in the wrong direction in 29 x 30 and wheezing too much to use it.

Anybody racing sparrow hill this sunday ? 'twill be my first race in four years. Is sport class C sandbagging for a reasonably fit XC/commuter? I have no idea about the standards of the classes...

- Joel

·
Registered
147 Posts
Race on Sunday

Sport C is a good place to start - see how you go. If you are too good...compare your times to the other classes' lap times. Depends how far you want to race too, as the lower classes have less distance to race.
Will be there in the Masters! and I will have fun again - hope you do too!

·
Registered
547 Posts
thanks for the advice, I look forward to it. I'll need to buy a license I suppose ...

I'll be riding a black hardtail with middleburn cranks and a king rear hub - just listen as I wheeze over the line !

good luck in masters too - how long have you been racing?

- Joel

·
Registered
147 Posts
Day licences available no probs, but make sure you leave time to register as there have been heaps of people turning up lately.
I'll be on a black NRS2 - trying out the DIY tubeless!
I raced a bit last year, but am trying to do all of the local races this year to see if I can get better....did you get into the Mont? That's really fun - even to watch.
I'll look out for you on Sun.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm not sure about the mont - I generally run the trials events held in conunction with that event. I'll remember to turn up early. I guess that means I won't be watching the individual TT in le tour the night before ? shame - I'm looking forward to seeing how Cadel holds onto his top ten spot !

- Joel

·
Registered
147 Posts
tomacropod said:
I'm not sure about the mont - I generally run the trials events held in conunction with that event. I'll remember to turn up early. I guess that means I won't be watching the individual TT in le tour the night before ? shame - I'm looking forward to seeing how Cadel holds onto his top ten spot !

Don't get there too early!!
Re the TT - bed at 1.30am and then up for a race - sounds reasonable (for a fanatic!!) Even die hard MTBers watch that other stuff for this 3 weeks...

·
Registered
547 Posts
I might have to compromise and record it. NO SPOILERS ON SUNDAY MORNING !! That's post ride watching :)

As for early, I don't seem to kick in until 45 mins into a ride, I'd better get a warmup lap done. What's a reasonable warm up lap time for sparrow hill?

- Joel

·
Registered
147 Posts
Not really sure this time as the last time I raced at Sparrow Hill it was set up as a 20km loop and one lap was my race...normally 3 laps for the masters etc up to 5 for those silly fast pros! So if it is normal - I guess 20 mins or so.
Better not listen to the radio...even the normal sports reports have been covering the TDF - incroyable!

·
Registered
547 Posts
watching the tdf tape now - I came 9th today ! Sport class C men. I thought I was doing two laps - Mal (of * Adjusted) said that was all my class did ! Last time I listen to him :) Therefore I stopped after two laps but everyone else kept going. I lost a few places I think. Nevermind I had a great time - that track is awesome fun - I only used 42/21 and 42/18 - so fast !

I learned that lots of people shift way too much. Wasting all their energy backing off, shifting, putting the power back, backing off, shifting up etc etc. Just crank over that rise !

anyway thanks tegski for your advice, I'll be trying to get out to the other races now I think - I'll have to get another job perhaps...I currently find it very difficult to get weekend shifts off...

- Joel

·
Registered
147 Posts
Glad you had a good race! I too had fun in the Masters - 10th! Much faster than my last race.
I just watched the TDF summary - had to feel sorry for R - he looked really stuffed and was suffering after all of his falls. I guess he will be glad after tomorrow!
Hate to tell you, but I was suprised how relatively flat the course was...no major uphill sections (maybe I'm just getting fitter!) If you get to race at Majura some of the sections are horrible as they are technical, windy and very steep - fun for young and old!!
I kept a look out for your bike, but as you saw, quite a few racers...looking at the results, we probably finished within a minute of each other!
Keep cranking the pedals.

·
Registered
547 Posts
TDF - final stage - 3 laps to go of the Champs - clock is stopped and results are set EXCEPT for the green jersey competition. Hushovt, O'grady and McEwen battling it out and what does SBS do ?! SWITCHES TO THE F***ING CRICKET !!!!

That smug derelict shane warne prancing up and down when I want a completely different bunch of smug metros prancing up and down !

edit: OK so they flick back to le tour to show Vinokourov and McGee dashing for the line in a sprint from Concorde - Vino gets it but second is nice for McGee? Not sure of final green jersey standings as... the cricket is back !

- Joel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.