Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the time of my writing this, several major quakes have hit Japan in the same area.
Two of them were 7.9.
One of them was 8.8.
Following were a 6.4 and 7.2.

This has generated a Tsunami that hit Japan within minutes.
It is quite possible that this Tsunami will hit the West Coast of the US, Canada, Hawaii and other Pacific locals in a few hours.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ericmopar said:
At the time of my writing this, several major quakes have hit Japan in the same area.
Two of them were 7.9.
One of them was 8.8.
Following were a 6.4 and 7.2.

This has generated a Tsunami that hit Japan within minutes.
It is quite possible that this Tsunami will hit the West Coast of the US, Canada, Hawaii and other Pacific locals in a few hours.
Link?

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a link. They had so many large quakes in such a short time, that only the largest one is showing right now. Clicking on an earthquake on the map will zoom in and bring up info and links.
CNN, Fox, etc are showing live coverage of the Tsunamis hitting the coastal cities and towns. It's Indonesia all over again.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
I'm in Pacifica, just south of San Francisco... There's a tsunami warning for a tsunami, but there's really nothing going on, at all. School was closed because it's a designated tsunami evacuation center, and all beach access is closed, but there was maybe a two-foot surge earlier, that's it. It's basically a low tide that you would see during the full moon.

·
Registered
415 Posts
At least one person killed in Crescent City, CA from Tsunami hitting CA coast.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The whole thing has been sureal to me. I was looking at the USGS Earthquake Hazards Program homepage when the first one hit last night. Then the second 7.9 hit and I thought it was a computer glitch. I looked at the data, which was different depths etc and realized that two 7.9 quakes had hit back to back. Then, the 8.9 hit and two other aftershocks.
At that point I couldn't keep up with what I was reading.
When I realized the quakes were on a subduction zone fault (The Japan Trench) I realized a large Tsunami had probably been generated close to the coast, so I went into my living room and turned on the TV.
I tuned in just in time to see the wave making landfall. It looked fake somehow, like movie special effects. A black death rolling like a cloud on the ground...
The disturbing parts for me, were seeing people in their cars and trucks trying to outrun the thing and being "swallowed" for lack of a better word.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ericmopar said:
The whole thing has been sureal to me. I was looking at the USGS Earthquake Hazards Program homepage when the first one hit last night. Then the second 7.9 hit and I thought it was a computer glitch. I looked at the data, which was different depths etc and realized that two 7.9 quakes had hit back to back. Then, the 8.9 hit and two other aftershocks.
At that point I couldn't keep up with what I was reading.
When I realized the quakes were on a subduction zone fault (The Japan Trench) I realized a large Tsunami had probably been generated close to the coast, so I went into my living room and turned on the TV.
I tuned in just in time to see the wave making landfall. It looked fake somehow, like movie special effects. A black death rolling like a cloud on the ground...
The disturbing parts for me, were seeing people in their cars and trucks trying to outrun the thing and being "swallowed" for lack of a better word.
When I first posted here I went looking at my usual news outlets and didn't see any news on it so I went to bed.

Got up this morning and, "W.T.F.:eekster: :eekster: ?!!"

·
Drinking the Slick_Juice
1,809 Posts
A guy at work today told me after hearing about the quakes that its what Japan deserves after bombing pearl harbor . i was like, WTF?

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nuck_chorris said:
A guy at work today told me after hearing about the quakes that its what Japan deserves after bombing pearl harbor . i was like, WTF?
And what will be his excuse when it happens to the US? Sooner or later...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.