Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220512386128

What do I need now? I bought it because I assume Yeti, being a small company who value their "tribe" supports older frames and I won't have any problem getting a swingarm for this front triangle.

How much can I expect to spend for the swingarm and supporting bolts, etc? What is a good shock to put on here? How about fork?

I expect to use this bike as a heavier play bike, I'm very happy with my Titus Motolite for trail riding. The way I see this I would build it up to do mostly lift assisted stuff at Mt. Snow and similar places in New England, but I would still like to build a capable climber for any potential AM uses where I want something burlier than the ML, say if I decide to vaca out west somewhere.

David B.

·
ARC Driver
257 Posts
I really wanted to get this but there is a lot of work ahead to make this a complete frameset. Yeti does offer a complete rebuild kit for the ASX, expect to pay up to 250 for bushings/bearings/links. You will also need a rear shock and probably what will be your most expensive part - the rear triangle - which I heard could run up to $400.

Here is the best advice I can give you..... BEFORE YOU BUY ONE SINGLE PART FOR THAT FRAME- call Yeti, give them the serial number and find out what year that frame actually is (I know the seller said it was an 04 but I don’t think Yeti made an orange ASX past 03). The vast majority of ASX owners are confused about the year of their bike - this is actually a huge problem that doesn't affect anyone untill you buy a bike that someone who says is an 04 and then buy a bunch of parts that don't fit your bike – this happens all the time - the ASX has had some very minor changes between 03-07 and although they look the same, many frame parts are not compatible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
so u bought that frame. i was also looking into it. i have a small and wanted to try a medium. i guess i was to late. the bike is an 04. i have the same bike, 04 and orange. u can tell its an 04 because of the cable routing for the rear derail. 04s and above use a single cable housing for the rear derail. 03s use 2 pieces of cable housing, the cable will be exposed on the downtube. u will love the bike. i have an ASR that rarely gets used cause of the ASX . it will feel heavy coming from a lightweight bike but the way it handles turns drops, jumps, and downhills is amazing. but before u invest any money find parts first. u can sometimes find parts cheap.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx for the reply Yeti05. I definitely hope to be able to do this as a budget build, ebay, etc.

My plans are to start by confirming with Yeti that this is an 04 frame. You definitely sound like you know what you're talking about, but until I have the frame in my hands I'm not doing anything.

Assuming it is an '04, I'll get the dogbone kit Yeti sells for $250 and set out in search of a rear triangle. I saw a crash replacement price of $219 with Yeti, not sure if they'll go with that price for a guy who bought a used frame or not. But finding a used one in good shape would be even better.

Next is a used DHX 5.0 or something similar. I found an air version on ebay with a $129 buy it now, but I'd really like to go all the way to coil springs for this bike. Does the 2004 ASX take a 8.5 x 2.5 shock, btw?

Once I have that, I'll have basically a complete frame. I pretty much know what to expect to pay for X-9 level build kits. I'll go with the best 7" coil fork I can find for a good price. The only place I expect to spend serious coin is on the wheels, I'll build them with King hubs and Mavic 821 rims. That way if I get hooked on the DH stuff I'll have a wheelset that is worth moving to a different bike should I decide to do so. Plus, even if this bike stays my DH sled forever, well, it's the wheels that are in contact with the ground, at least if everything is going right, correct?

Once I get the frame in my hands I'll be back here looking for all sorts of tips.

David B.

·
www.yetifan.com
720 Posts
I guess you sorted out what you wan, but if not, here is a list of parts required.

1x rear end- all AS-X rear ends will fit from 03-07
1x Master rebuild kit- if you get the 07 short link, you need the 07 bearing kit.
1x Shock. Should be 220mm for your model. I am sure the stroke is 2.5".

An easy way to see if your frame is 03 or later- establish the size of the frame, and measure from the seat tube to the hole in the shock mount.

That is the only major difference between 03-07 AS-X. The very first batch of 03 frames had a shorter shock, there are some other subtle differences, but none of them will affect you.

I think your frame is an 04 version, you can see the front shock mount sits the same distance away from the headtube. But please double check.

these should be the parts you need..........

Master Rebuild kit- $140

Rate link kit - $200

a rear end and a shock.

Andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.