Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I think we should go back
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys usually do to your casset,chain,deraillers,chain rings after a run that gets your bike muddy or snowy or wet? i HATE rusty chains and cassets and dont want to ruin the ones on my new bike.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If you have decent chain lube, there shouldn't be water in the chain, so you just need to use a paper towel to wipe the worst of it off the outside, if you want to) and let the rest drip or evaporate in a warm place.

If you chain isn't protected by a decent lube, you'll want to dry it as best you can using a hair dryer or the like, to prevent rust on the inside. You can also spray on moisture displacers such as WD-40, or LPS-1.

Drivetrain maintainance for wet riding is best done as a preventative, using good chain lubes that keep water out. This works better with less effort than trying to deal with it afterwards.

On my road bike, I never do anything after coming back from wet snowy rides, including exposure to road salt, and never have any problems.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
pretty much as mentioned above.
If muddy I like to clean it asap preferably while still wet as it will mostly rinse off. then towel dry and re lube anything that needs it . I've had good results with the pink bike cleaners (finish line and muck off) they are supposed to have something that leaves behind a coating that eliminates spot surface rust (like inside bolt heads) I was told its silicone but I cant confirm, I will confirm that it works well
My routine is , hose the bike, spray the pink, scrub with soft brush, rinse and dry. Takes maybe 5 mins. tops

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.