Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running standard tires and rims in a tubeless conversion for a year or so, and could not be more pleased with the reliability. I have not had one tire problem on the trail in spite of many miles in very thorny and rocky terrain.

There is no doubt, success with tubless conversion depends on the integrity of the sealant in the tires. Assuming you have an effective sealant, maintaining the viscosity of the mix in the tire has got to be the key to success or failure. It seems there is somewhat of a consensus here that maybe fresh Stan's is a bit thinner than optimum, and something like the Slime formulations are somewhat too thick for optimum results. From the moment of inflation, I guess sealants slowly evaporate their base fluid content that sets their viscosity, and gradually become unusable because they get so thick they will not flow freely.

Still, when sealants thicken in the tire, there should be no loss of latex base and filler materials. It appears to me that the addition of the liquid base alone (water, window wash fluid, antifreeze, whatever) can very effectively restore the sealant to original condition. Adding liquid alone followed by a short ride seems to find and thin all the thickened sealant dispersed in the tire.

To me, this makes much more sence that adding additional sealant to a tire with thickened product inside. Old, thick sealant disolved with new added sealant should result in a thicker overall combination, and I think old sealant should be cleaned out if much new sealant is added. From a weight buildup standpoint, adding liquid should only amount to replacing evaporated medium, while adding sealant amounts to adding accumulating latex and fillers.

For me, the biggest problem is monitoring the condition of the sealant. My method is to deflate tire, rotate valve stem of the flattened tire to bottom, and extract a small amount of sealant from the stem. From there, I try to decide what maintenence liquid to add if any. With a little experience, this is working pretty well for me, and I am pretty satisfied with both the maintained condition of the sealants, and the performance results I'm getting.

I am pretty interested in other thoughts on this approach.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
This subject is also of import to me.

Crossmax xl and Panaracer firexc

I have had good sucess in the past 3 months.

I ride a lot of scree within about a month i seem to get a flat. Usually a gouge out of the sidewall near the knobs. (learn to ride better).

But when I get a flat there is no free stans left in the tire. So I guess I just get lots of flats a run out of Stans.

So I order the refill kit etc.

But I am still wondering how to tell when to add new??

I dont get exactly what you do. Do you push the valve stem down to suck up what ever is in the bottom of the tire. No I guess you push the tire up to the valve stem.

So you dont break either the bead or the valve stem seal.

I am just going to try weighing the tire 2 oz of Stans is 56 grams.

This is pretty had to see on a 1800 gram wheelset??

·
EDR
10,441 Posts
First of all let me preface this by saying that I use Slime. The hot climate of Phoenix seems to keep slime usable for quite some time and it is sooooooo much cheaper than Stan's. I get 32oz bottles for $13 at Autozone.

Secondly, I just pop the tire off the bead to check the sealant. If it's dried I pull off the tire, clean it and add fresh Slime. Maybe I'm oversimplizing the whole scenario but I don't get what the big issue is with checking sealant and adding more (or whatever solution you want) as needed. The whole process takes me about 15 minutes every few months or so.

·
EDR
10,441 Posts
jeffscott said:
Well for me with running out of sealant every 4 weeks it....
maybe this is why I don't use Stan's. Every month for real? That sucks. I'm good for several months with my set up. I had the great luck running Aireon sealant also (the white stuff only Specialized dealers sell).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.