Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have tips on maintaining your fitness while on vacation where you can't ride?

My race series starts in a little less than two months. My training has been going well and I'm setting new PRs on some of my favorite mtb routes. But I've got to head out of town on two different trips and won't have much time to train for almost a full two weeks. It is a family vacation. I will have access to spin bikes for short periods of time (apparently only when they hold formal classes) and treadmills and other fitness equipment. My plan was to try to get in 45 minutes to an hour every day of some type of cardio, on a spine bike whenever possible, and include sone 4 and 5 intensity in there as much as possible since my volume will be way down.

Anyone dealt with this before and have some suggestions?

I'll have a full month of training between I get back and my first race of the season. I'm just hoping to maintain my fitness and pick up where I left off when I get back.

·
Registered
738 Posts
search 'crash training'

I would crash train right before the trip and use the trip as recovery, pretty much doing what you plan after the initial recovery period.

I did this just before a one week trip and it worked out pretty well, although i slept alot the first couple days.

·
Registered
907 Posts
My attempts at staying fit while traveling/ family vacation:
Finding stairs to climb with a weighted backpack
Hikes/ longer walks to places
Running (I've kept running 1-2x a week this summer, which makes it easy to do while on vacation, running shoes pack easier than a bike)
Making the week before a hard training week and use it for recovery.

But then again I'm a hack racer, so my tips may not be that valid.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Dont over/under eat your fitness away.

If you knew about a vacation ahead of time you should have planned it into your training as some sort of recovery period.

Run hills, stairs, or whatever else you can do to keep your legs and lungs in shape.

Do bodyweight intervals of pushups, pull-ups, body rows, handstand pushups, etc. Do 10 rounds of 10 reps or something of the nature.

·
Resident Lurker
24 Posts
It's one of the more demasculating things to do, but I always take a pilates dvd with me when i travel. It maintains your core which is vital to power and often overlooked by cyclists. I agree with everyone else, running and plyometrics are always easy to do.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
strandog said:
It's one of the more demasculating things to do, but I always take a pilates dvd with me when i travel. It maintains your core which is vital to power and often overlooked by cyclists. I agree with everyone else, running and plyometrics are always easy to do.
Sorry your man card has been withdrawn.

You can get it back by putting a lift kit in your truck.

·
Registered
94 Posts
strandog said:
=)... edit "pilates dvd" to "core workout dvd" and we'll pretend it never happened

·
Resident Lurker
24 Posts
LMN said:
Sorry your man card has been withdrawn.

You can get it back by putting a lift kit in your truck.
Can't I just get a set of those rubber nuts...or some stickers. Both add a few HP right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts