Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching for trails in my local area, Peterborough NH, I've 'ridden' a few class vi roads that are in a very bad state of repair, but with a little TLC could be made much more rideable.

What are the rules/considerations when it comes to doing any sort of 'maintenance' on a class VI? In most instances I think it would be easier to cut a trail on the 'verge' of the old roadway, because the roadways themselves have been turned into rivers and are just massive rock gardens.

Appreciate your inputs.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My local trail group in Vermont looked into this issue a bit. I'm sure it varies by state to state and possibly town to town, but the class IV roadway itself remains a public right-of-way. While the town has no obligation to maintain it, it also can't really stop a concerned citizen from using it, moving a downed log or two, or perhaps doing a bit of clipping of shrubbery along the way. The land on either side of the right of way is almost always private, however, so any trail cutting there would be up to the landowner(s) in question.

I agree though, it's amazing how many old roads were cut straight down the fall line and are basically river beds now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
State to state it gets confusing VT = class IV, NH = class VI!

Normally the class VI 'roads' are lined with collapsed stone walls, so I'm assuming anything between those walls is part of the right of way, and often seems to have enough space to clear a trail that would be at least rideable.

I think for the most part they are in such poor condition now, and so lightly trafficked that no one would bat an eyelid if someone were to 'tidy' them up a little.

·
Registered
81 Posts
VTvolk. What town are you in and what specific guidelines did your town give you? We are dealing with that in Richmond right now with some landowners at the end of the class IV road piling up debris and not allowing us to try and open/maintain it. The town manager now wants it to to in front of the selectboard. But our argument is that it is already a public right of way and our official town trail committee should be allowed to clear a pedestrian path without involving the selectboard.

·
2,603 Posts
VTvolk. What town are you in and what specific guidelines did your town give you? We are dealing with that in Richmond right now with some landowners at the end of the class IV road piling up debris and not allowing us to try and open/maintain it. The town manager now wants it to to in front of the selectboard. But our argument is that it is already a public right of way and our official town trail committee should be allowed to clear a pedestrian path without involving the selectboard.
Class IV roads are public property so I don't think they have a leg to stand on.

A few of my gravel routes have class IV sections that go around people's properties and I've never run into any problems. One particular class IV I ride in E. Montpelier isn't passable for vehicles but is popular with walkers and bikers. The owners of the large farm around it appear to be okay with it.

Which road in Richmond?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm in Lincoln, and we had a similar issue a few years back with a landowner who had purchased a big beautiful property blocking a class IV road that ran adjacent to it with rocks so jeeps couldn't get through. It's a very popular route with bikepackers and moto riders. The select board sent the town highway crew up to remove the rocks and I believe politely informed the landowner that they had no right to block the right-of-way any more than they would have a right to block any other public road. We're a tiny town, so this all happened in a low-key, non-dramatic way. Several select board members are advocates for multi-use trails, including using Class IV roads for walking/riding/skiing, etc., so that undoubtedly helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We have a ton of class VI we use over in Greenfield, Bennington, Francestown, etc. that we use to string together between MTB trails. The GTA (Greenfield Trail Assoc) commonly use these trails. If you are looking just for class VI for gravel rides, that is more limiting. Most of the trails are on private land so there are not published trail maps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have a ton of class VI we use over in Greenfield, Bennington, Francestown, etc. that we use to string together between MTB trails. The GTA (Greenfield Trail Assoc) commonly use these trails. If you are looking just for class VI for gravel rides, that is more limiting. Most of the trails are on private land so there are not published trail maps.
I found out about GTA too late for this year, but I'm looking forward to joining some rides next year.

There are number of class VI roads that I've 'ridden' (hike-a-biked) that would be great with a bit of TLC, a couple of examples (as named on Komoot):

1. Peavey Rd which runs between the corner Gulf and Slip Roads, and Mountain Road
2.Nelson Rd which runs between Jaquith and Nubanusit past Cobb Hill.

Given they are rights of way is there anything that prevents me spending a day with a chainsaw, hoe and shovel clearing a trail along the edge of these 'roads'?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts