Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been reading the various threads on bearings, pivots and shock mounts for the 575, knowing that one day I would tearing into mine. I had done some quick maintenance on the easy shock mount bolts over the last year (to make sure they didn't get frozen), but finally was forced to go for the main pivot last night. A muddy weekend ride required the judicial use of hose and water to clean up .... and I didn't want any trouble with that main pivot pin.

Expecting the worst, I popped off the cranks and went for the pin. Wow, it slid right out. Wasn't expecting that! Okay, so let's check those bearings....hmm..."notchy" was the term that many people have used...how about: "could not move at all?" I popped the seal and looked at the bearings...pretty dry, a tiny bit of white paste stuck to the seal, but not much to be seen by the balls. I can't move any of the bearing balls either. Flush with wd40, run phil's tenacious oil through, pack with bearing grease. Now I can just barely move it. Wow. Not having spare bearings, I put it all back together. The interesting part was that once assembled, I really could not feel any problems/binding. Are those bearings harder to spin than I think? If they are quiet, is there any reason to replace them?

Also, something I didn't remember anyone mentioning: getting the main pivot pin BACK IN was a biotch. Hard to line up the rear stays with the downtube and get the pin slide in. Finally had to take it off the stand and lay it down on the ground, making things a bit more stable. Any tips on that move for the future?

Last question - for all the shock mount bolts, the button head screws were on the drive side. For the main pivot, the button head and black cap thing were on the non-drive side, and I extracted the pin through the drive side. Is that normal? ( I can't see how it would matter, just curious how the 575 is supposed to come from the factory - I got mine slightly used...not sure if/what the previous owner had done)

thanks all

·
www.yetifan.com
722 Posts
I read your post with interest!

I would say get yourself some new main pivot bearings ASAP.

What can happen, and will in the long term(if you leave it years and years), the bearings will seize, (they come from Yeti full of grease- time and washing makes it leave!) and then the pivoting can sometimes make the pin rotate inside the frame, or inside the bearings, this will either wear the pin, or at worst wear the frame.

It should be possible to rotate the bearings with 1 finger when they are good.

Make sure you get the 'Enduro' or Full Compliment type- such as the ones on the yeti website.

Andrew

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yetifan said:
I read your post with interest!

I would say get yourself some new main pivot bearings ASAP.

What can happen, and will in the long term(if you leave it years and years), the bearings will seize, (they come from Yeti full of grease- time and washing makes it leave!) and then the pivoting can sometimes make the pin rotate inside the frame, or inside the bearings, this will either wear the pin, or at worst wear the frame.

It should be possible to rotate the bearings with 1 finger when they are good.

Make sure you get the 'Enduro' or Full Compliment type- such as the ones on the yeti website.

Andrew
Yeah, I sort of knew my question about whether to replace the bearings was dumb...the answer, as you suggest is certainly: DO IT!

To review the other posts here about bearing removal - I notice Enduro has a bearing puller for 4.99, but they say "not recommended for suspension bearings" ... The other usual trick is finding the right sized sockets (one to push, one to receive) - I guess my only concern is damaging the stays, but I assume they can take a bit of pressure around the bearing? Any other tricks out there, specifically for the main pivot bearings?

Well, maybe nevermind - I just found mention in a few other threads that the yeti tool (linkage tool, i assume) can be used to press out the bearings...I assume those washers will be the right size to push and there is something that is big enough to receive the bearing. (haven't looked that closely at the tool yet, just got it because i was ordering a coupla d.hangers )

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
sorry,

slcpunk said:
Yeah, I sort of knew my question about whether to replace the bearings was dumb...the answer, as you suggest is certainly: DO IT!

To review the other posts here about bearing removal - I notice Enduro has a bearing puller for 4.99, but they say "not recommended for suspension bearings" ... The other usual trick is finding the right sized sockets (one to push, one to receive) - I guess my only concern is damaging the stays, but I assume they can take a bit of pressure around the bearing? Any other tricks out there, specifically for the main pivot bearings?

Well, maybe nevermind - I just found mention in a few other threads that the yeti tool (linkage tool, i assume) can be used to press out the bearings...I assume those washers will be the right size to push and there is something that is big enough to receive the bearing. (haven't looked that closely at the tool yet, just got it because i was ordering a coupla d.hangers )
The linkage tool from Yeti will not enable you to pull the main pivot bearings out without the use of some sockets. At least that was the case for me. It does everything else just fine though.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AZmtncycler said:
The linkage tool from Yeti will not enable you to pull the main pivot bearings out without the use of some sockets. At least that was the case for me. It does everything else just fine though.
yup, I went out and looked at the tool last night - there is nothing that would "recieve" the bearing. Some socket setup shouldn't be too hard to come up with.

I have an email request out to Real World Cycling about their bearing kit ()- seems like a waste to get all 10 bearings instead of just the 2 I need. Anyone have thoughts on that- just get all 10 bearings, cuz I'll probably need them eventually?

Actually, more importantly - Yeti sells a 575 rebuild kit for $50, and it shows 12 bearings in the picture, although there is no description that says how many ACTUALLY come with the kit...the realworldcycling.com 575 kit is $49, but it says only 10 bearings. Anyone know anything about the difference? ( is it really 10 vs 12? ) I think I count 10 (in my head) on the bike
2 shock to knuckle
4 shock to dogbone
2 dogbone to frame
2 main pivot

does Yeti throw in a free set of pivot bearings because they are the most likely to need replacement, or is their picture misleading?

I should probably get replacement bearings for my WTB laser discs at the same time - which I would get from real world cycling (enduroforkseals.com) making for one shipping charge...

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
I bought the Endurofork Seal bearing kit

slcpunk said:
yup, I went out and looked at the tool last night - there is nothing that would "recieve" the bearing. Some socket setup shouldn't be too hard to come up with.

I have an email request out to Real World Cycling about their bearing kit ()- seems like a waste to get all 10 bearings instead of just the 2 I need. Anyone have thoughts on that- just get all 10 bearings, cuz I'll probably need them eventually?

Actually, more importantly - Yeti sells a 575 rebuild kit for $50, and it shows 12 bearings in the picture, although there is no description that says how many ACTUALLY come with the kit...the realworldcycling.com 575 kit is $49, but it says only 10 bearings. Anyone know anything about the difference? ( is it really 10 vs 12? ) I think I count 10 (in my head) on the bike
2 shock to knuckle
4 shock to dogbone
2 dogbone to frame
2 main pivot

does Yeti throw in a free set of pivot bearings because they are the most likely to need replacement, or is their picture misleading?

I should probably get replacement bearings for my WTB laser discs at the same time - which I would get from real world cycling (enduroforkseals.com) making for one shipping charge...
for my '05 575 and it was complete. Plus, he uses Enduro MAX bearings on the main pivot (the max have no retainer for greater load capacity). There are 10 total bearings. 4 on each end of the dogbone and the two main pivot bearings. Don't think there are any in the Shock to Knuckle connection.. It uses the shock bushings. (there's no pivot action at that junction).

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AZmtncycler said:
for my '05 575 and it was complete. Plus, he uses Enduro MAX bearings on the main pivot (the max have no retainer for greater load capacity). There are 10 total bearings. 4 on each end of the dogbone and the two main pivot bearings. Don't think there are any in the Shock to Knuckle connection.. It uses the shock bushings. (there's no pivot action at that junction).
Thanks for the info. Curious if there is difference from what Yeti sells. ( again, they show 12 bearings in the picture...not that its conclusive, but if I can get 2 extra pivot bearings for the same price....) they do say "EnduroMAX" on their site...maybe they have upgraded? ( http://store.yeticycles.com/store/show_product/64)

thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.