Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I probably should have really asked this before but better late than never.

I am STILL waiting for my xl trance 2. In the meantime I was curious how a bike like the trance 2 will ride compared to my 26" xc kona hardtail (2003 kona nunu).

I have never ridden a bike like the trance and had only a quick chance to ride it in a parking lot so I can't really tell what it will be like on the trail.

So can you guys comment on things like steering - will it be vague or precise, harder/easier to climb with, less/more agile on single track, better/worse on technical stuff up and downhill...etc...

I just want an idea in case I finally get it out on the trails and find it a world of difference compared to my XC hardtail

I'm hoping I will enjoy it alot more, but keep in mind the trails I ride are somewhat more filled with roots, rocks and slower technical stuff thatn long flowing st down mountains. Mind you obviously there will be inclines and declines (some pretty steep) but that will just be part of the trails. It's not like I will be driving to the top of a mountain and cruising down single track to the bottom. I live in Nova Scotia Canada.

Thanks everyone!

DAVE

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
It will feel completely different than your 10 year old hardtail for a LOT of reasons, probably least of which is the wheel size. Suspension tuning and travel, geometry, tires, drivetrain, slightly different fit, wheel size, etc, etc, are all going to add up to a completely new experience.

YOU might find the steering to be "precise" or you might find it "vague" - those are totally subjective and since you didn't demo on dirt, you're going to have to live with the fact that it's going to be a surprise in pretty much every way. Don't panic, though - unless you're a complete retrogrouch and/or hardtail purist, I think you'll love the bike, at least after you've had time to get used to it.

-Walt

·
Registered
666 Posts
i'd recoomend sleeping with your new bike, so you can get used to it

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking just in general terms...My xc had a steep head angle and this trance has a very slack one. What does that do for steering feel? Stuff like that..but as someone above said, I guess that is all subjective.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have ridden the same 26" hardtail for about 17 years, and just recently built up a new 650b hardtail. They are fairly similar in geometry. As much as I am so familiar with the old bike, I think I notice the small differences in geometry (stem length, bar length, top tube length...) more than I feel the difference in wheel size.

Having ridden some 29" bikes the wheel size was the more noticeable change to me. It was something I didn't like personally (I like to ride tighter, twisty trails), so that is a big part of the reason I stayed with my old bike for so long.

·
Registered
33 Posts
^^^^^^^

Not a lot of noticeable difference between the 26" wheel size to 27.5", but way different from 26" to 29". Your turning and nimble feel will remain along with awesome climbing. You are gaining some additional roll over for the bigger bumps on the trail as opposed to the 26". It may turn a little slower, but I can't believe it would be that noticeable although it may because you have ridden the other for so long.

I went from 26" straight to 29" then back to 27.5". Going from 26" to 29" is like going from a Ferrari to a 67 Cadillac in terms of turning. You have to anticipate much more or it will slow you way down. The perfect mix is the 27.5", it turns more like a 26" but still has some of the rollover you gain with the 29".

No matter what, enjoy the new ride!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts