Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Forging Elite Awesomeness
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After about a 4 year hiatus from mountain biking I finally got to get out on my bike today. If I could describe today's events with one word, I'd choose 'interesting'.

The day began with a call to the LBS to check if my ride was good to go after I dropped it off the day before to get the brakes and drivetrain 'tweaked'. The brakes were rubbing and it looked to me like the rotors were slightly out of true so I figured I'd give them the pleasure to truing them up. Well, I was told that my front brake need to be bled as the levers stroke was far too long. My response was, 'um you guys were the ones who bled them last'. I hadn't touched them since I got them bled three months ago. The problem was soon 'magically remedied'. Oh well, no harm, no foul I suppose. I left with a rideable bike.

Got to the trailhead at about 5ish and immediately threw the bike up in the stand to give her a once over.

Saddle angle...check.
Chain lubed...check.
Quick torque inspection...brake caliper bolts loose. :skep:
Throw cleats on new shoes...check.

Finally time to hit the trail. Wow. Wow. I am baffled how I went so long without mountain biking in my life. What a blast. I completely forgot how much fun it was. Of course I was rusty in the more technical sections and almost found myself swimming with the fish on a number of occasions but I am back baby. I'm back.

About 25km was all I needed to feel confident on the bike again but will still need more practice especially with trying to get used to the sram shifters (push, not pull!....iidddiooottt) and the eggbeater's. After about 8 years of SPD's the egg's feel a bit bizarre to say the least.

Well after good layer of mud had accumulated on my myself and my bike it was time to head home. On the way home I couldn't help but stop, pull the bike out again, and hit up a tiny 2km section of singletrack I always used to ride when I needed a fix. Bad idea. Unbeknownst to me this particular trail had not been used in quite sometime. Well, by humans anyway. Cankerworms had taken it by force. Thousands and thousands of them hanging everywhere from their spider-web like string. I figured...whatever...they're just worms.

After 2km's I must of pulled off almost a hundred of 2 to 3 inch long black worms off of me and my bike. Not to mention that my bike looks like something indiana jones would find in some lost tomb. A worm even managed to find it's way into my right glove, before it exploded into worm juice of course.

The best part about my day was not the fact I got to ride my sweet new titus on a beautiful summer day or my baptism back into mountain biking...it was finding a dead cankerwork wrapped around my rear derailleur pulley. :thumbsup:

Sorry I didn't take alot of pics, I was having too much fun to stop for picture taking. :D

·
Killer b.
1,523 Posts
Welcome back.
Sounds like you just discovered a new idea for 'Fear Factor.' Contestants could ride the Cankerworm trail and then eat every worm found on them.

·
Want Smiley Sauce w/that?
530 Posts
Happy to hear you do in fact have the use of your limbs (I had become convinced you were typing with your teeth) and that you're giving them a workout on your new bike. Bike looks beautiful, trail too.

Keep your mouth open next time. Protein. Yum. You don't get free snacks at the gym.

·
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crager34 said:
This is a new bike and the brakes had to be bled, or was it a used bike, but new to you?
Everything was right out of the box. The brakes had to be bled the first time because I opened the system to shorten the housing length (forumla is generous with housing). Why they wanted them to be bled a second time was beyond me. I never touched anything since the first bleed.

On a side note, they work perfectly now. :thumbsup:

·
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
warcricket said:
fyi, chains should be lubed after one's ride not before hand. it makes the drivetrain dirty if you do it before hand
I put a drop of finish line teflon on each roller, cycle the drivetrain 20 or 30 times, and then cycle the drivetrain another 20 or 30 times with a rag wrapped around the chain to wipe off any excess. I've never had a problem with a dirty drivetrain (that hasn't been caused by myself bombing through mud puddles :D ).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.