Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
My pants are smart.
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my first ride at Mahlon Dickerson on Sunday - a great place to ride if you havent been. Its a pretty easy park to get around, once you get your bearings. Some pretty techincal stuff here and there - totally ruined my rear shock - its making a horrific creaking/squeaking sound - it was time for a replacement anyway... also screwed up one of clipless pedals - just one of those days where your bike starts falling apart... great ride though.

I'm riding an '02 Stumpjumper - any suggestions on a new rear shock? ...or should I just buy a new hardtail (I wish)?

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Buy a HT frame and move your parts over....

Except the pedals, of course.

Glad you enjoyed M/D. I find I ride better on my hardtail than my fs at that park for whatever reasons. Less to break maybe.

·
My pants are smart.
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rev Bubba said:
Except the pedals, of course.

Glad you enjoyed M/D. I find I ride better on my hardtail than my fs at that park for whatever reasons. Less to break maybe.
thats a great idea - buying a frame and mocing parts - and a fun project at that - thanks

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I'm interested in the Santa Cruz Chamleon

I'm not sure if I will ever do it, but I am tempted about once a week to pick up that frame for around $450 and move the parts from my fs. The geometry is different enough from my regular hardtail that I could almost justify doing it. Well, almost because my practical self tells me I don't need it and that, at my age, I just need to either keep my fs running or get another one.

Trouble is, I ride my ht way more than my fs and have recently been having fun on my sons old GT Avalance with only 2.5 inches in front, flat pedals, a wide riser and my old Magura HS33 rim brakes. It is so "tossable."

The Chamelon would make a fun bike at Diablo Freeride Park, at least in my mind.

So, live my dream and get the Santa Cruz.(in Apple Green)
:)

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Psylo, not bomber

My FS has a Psylo SL so that would be what got transferred. Besides, I like being able to dial down to three inches. I tend to like less, not more, travel and still can't get used to rear suspension. I'm so set in my ways, damn me.....

·
www.justthebonnet.com
1,475 Posts
No, on the SS I recently (this weekend) swapped forks. I put the Sid Team on my SS and I put the Fox 80rlt on my Santa Cruz Stupidlight. The sid is an ok fork, just to flexy in the rough stuff. I use the stupidlight as my race bike and I'd rather add half a pound and have a fork that performs so much better than the sid. The pyslo is on my Giant VT, trailbike/beater.

ps.. Liberace is gay.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Coil with U-Drive

Pretty much the same fork as the XC with a couple extra adjustments I never use. It goes back to 2001 and I can't remember what the air version was called. Maybe "race."

I had it rebuilt by Rockshox when it was a year old under warranty and I've had no complaints other than that the spring is too soft for my taste but that can be fixed easily enough with a Speed Spring.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
hill_climber said:
Took my first ride at Mahlon Dickerson on Sunday - a great place to ride if you havent been. Its a pretty easy park to get around, once you get your bearings. Some pretty techincal stuff here and there - totally ruined my rear shock - its making a horrific creaking/squeaking sound - it was time for a replacement anyway... also screwed up one of clipless pedals - just one of those days where your bike starts falling apart... great ride though.

I'm riding an '02 Stumpjumper - any suggestions on a new rear shock? ...or should I just buy a new hardtail (I wish)?
if you're still thinking about upgrading the shock, instead of a buying a new HT, consider this:

i threw an 05 manitou 3-way SPV shock on an 00' santa cruz superlight and it totally changed the bike for the better. for $325 the bike, a monopivot design, now climbs with very little pedal bob. i *was* thinking of buying a blur, but instead i re-invigorated my old bike. (the 5 element or fox pro-pedal shocks would likely give you the same end-result.) and shocks are a no brainer to install.

just another option to consider.

·
My pants are smart.
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mergs said:
if you're still thinking about upgrading the shock, instead of a buying a new HT, consider this:

i threw an 05 manitou 3-way SPV shock on an 00' santa cruz superlight and it totally changed the bike for the better. for $325 the bike, a monopivot design, now climbs with very little pedal bob. i *was* thinking of buying a blur, but instead i re-invigorated my old bike. (the 5 element or fox pro-pedal shocks would likely give you the same end-result.) and shocks are a no brainer to install.

just another option to consider.
you're right about that.

i was looking into the platform shocks the rp3 or something. something to stand and mash. but i would like another bike... more toys!

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Platform Technology does work.

I've ridden a few bikes with platform technology in the shocks and it does make quite a difference. Wonder if anyone makes one for an I-Drive even thought that type suspension is not supposed to need the help?

·
Daddy of 3 now!
261 Posts
buy it and try it..

Rev,
I have an '04 Chameleon w/ 5'' bomber and it is a fun bike, but I have to warn you it does beat you up after 2hrs or so. Coming off a FS bike was a big transition. I thought I could handle it, but must admit that my old bones got beat up. I then ditched the gears and rode SS twice, but it's not my cup of tea. Perhaps I could be a stronger rider if I rode more than once a week :(
I still have the frame, but just purchased a Heckler frame and transfered all the parts over. I'm still tweaking and waiting for a free w/e to make my maiden voyage.
Hope to see you out there on one of the group rides.
later
T.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I usually ride a hardtail

My usual ride is a steel hardtail so I'm used to getting beat up. I also have been having a blast on my son's aluminum hardtail with only 2.5 inches in front.

The I-Drive is nearing it's end of life after 5 years and I don't want to invest in a new shock, eccentric, and other moving parts that are wearing out. I think there are better ways to go if I were to stay with another FS.

Anyway, since the parts hanging off the frame are in good shape, the idea of a relatively inexpensive hardtail frame appeals to me. I have always been drawn to the way a hardtail rides and the Chamleon would be sort of a "freeride" bike. I appreciate your input on your experiences with it.

I'd be interested in how your Heckler turns out. That frame with one of the new platform shocks is also a thought. I'm very impressed with how the platform shocks I've ridden have worked and feel they are the way to go.

What size is your Chamleon? I assume it is one of the newer ones that is disc ready. You interested in selling it? I probably need a large but I'm right on the border of a medium at 5'11".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dog

Saved a lost dog today. Owner has 3, 1 went up the trail at M/D, owner was looking down the trail, got them together. Only has a street bike, she wants a mountain bike now, who knows?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Castellano Fango

Best of all worlds for me, 4" of Marathon SL up front,1.25" in the rear to take the edge off. No crazy bars, chainlines, bobbing, etc. Mine is built to about 25.5# but it would be easy to build to 22#. My saddle/post combo (gravity dropper) is 700+ grams. Just a thought but the frame is $1000 which is relatively cheap. I just love mine. Ride Mahlon all the time.

Bruce

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.