Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new 160mm travel fork for my 08 DB Mission. I've always hated these types of threads but I can't find much on the Wotan so was wondering if anyone out there in AM land is using one. I already know the 36 Talas is the top dog but can't get the Wotan out of my head for some reason so any well thought out opinion is welcome, Thanks.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,196 Posts
The God of fun

I have a 07 Wotan on my Knolly Delirium T
I am very happy with it. Have had 0 problems as well.
It is very stiff.
Mid-stroke is ok, could be a bit firmer. Not a huge problem but on occasion I find it a bit soft or dive; but then I hit the bike at about 220 or so.
Quite plush for an air-fork.
Good bottom-out resistance.
Travel assist works as advertised. It may be even plusher when dropped. (It will drop anywhere between 120 and 160 not either or)
Albert Select (Compression/Platform) is OK, but I find it a bit harsh.
I run the fork fully active for almost all riding conditions. I will engage the AS for roads, long smooth climbs, and some short steep climbs if non-technical. (engagement point is about +1/4 or so of max)
On the down-side it is heavier than the bushy-tailed fellow.

I am considering sending mine in to Suspension Werx to be tuned to my weight (recomended by OrangeSportSupply the Candian Distributor)

As a side bonus it comes with a nice toggle-valved shock pump.

hth

michael

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mykel, More info then I could have hoped for. Usually people just say stuff sucks or it rules.
I do own a 100mm Magura Menja for for my XC hardtail and found it to be super plush and very stiff so that's a big reason I'm drawn to the Wotan. I have read about the aftermarket adjustments you mentioned for heavy guys, I'm 6'2" 220 so I would have to go to a heavier weight oil most likely.
The thing I do like about the Fox is that the damper is probably the best in the industry right now and the weight but I could probably use a bit of a reduction myself.
Interesting to here the travel adjust is variable, they make it sound like it's either up or down. Hows the remote for the travel adjust holding up?
mykel said:
I have a 07 Wotan on my Knolly Delirium T
I am very happy with it. Have had 0 problems as well.
It is very stiff.
Mid-stroke is ok, could be a bit firmer. Not a huge problem but on occasion I find it a bit soft or dive; but then I hit the bike at about 220 or so.
Quite plush for an air-fork.
Good bottom-out resistance.
Travel assist works as advertised. It may be even plusher when dropped. (It will drop anywhere between 120 and 160 not either or)
Albert Select (Compression/Platform) is OK, but I find it a bit harsh.
I run the fork fully active for almost all riding conditions. I will engage the AS for roads, long smooth climbs, and some short steep climbs if non-technical. (engagement point is about +1/4 or so of max)
On the down-side it is heavier than the bushy-tailed fellow.

I am considering sending mine in to Suspension Werx to be tuned to my weight (recomended by OrangeSportSupply the Candian Distributor)

As a side bonus it comes with a nice toggle-valved shock pump.

hth

michael

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I really like the Wotan (not ridden it) but a huge factor for me was service availability. My LBS could get it, but if ANYTHING needed to be done it was going back to the factory. In hindsight, the only problem I had with my 36 meant it had to go back to the factory, but...

Also, I love the Fox

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
el_chupo_ said:
I really like the Wotan (not ridden it) but a huge factor for me was service availability. My LBS could get it, but if ANYTHING needed to be done it was going back to the factory. In hindsight, the only problem I had with my 36 meant it had to go back to the factory, but...

Also, I love the Fox
My understanding is that both forks are very servicable, I have a mechanical background. But if your issue(s) fall under warranty then you always want to send it back to the manufacture so as to keep and/or extend the warranty.
So you do own a 36 talas and if so do you have any more likes/dislikes?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
motormonkeyr6 said:
I will let you know on Sunday.
I owned a 06 36 Talas and just picked up a 09 Wotan.

Stay Tuned!
I'm interested to see how it feels too. Unfortunately I don't have the money for either of those forks. Fortunately, my roommate did/does, and has switched from an 08 36 talas rc2 to an 08 wotan. Yay for free product testing!

·
Perpetual Hack
2,196 Posts
Radam77 said:
...Hows the remote for the travel adjust holding up?
I have the bar-remotes for both the Flight Control and Albert Select.
I have the older aluminum style levers, and so far they're scuffed and scratched, and one may have a slight bend, but they are more durable than I originally thought. Still operate nice and smoothly, never stick and lock every time.

Works for me.

michael

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Radam77 said:
My understanding is that both forks are very servicable, I have a mechanical background. But if your issue(s) fall under warranty then you always want to send it back to the manufacture so as to keep and/or extend the warranty.
So you do own a 36 talas and if so do you have any more likes/dislikes?
Mine is an 07 Talas. My LBS in an authorized Fox repair center, so taking it to my LBS is "sending it to Fox" for most stuff. He normally does the 32 series forks and all their shocks, but had to send the Talas in for repair.

I had a loss of travel, about an inch. It still felt great, so I dont know how long I had been riding with less travel, I didnt notice it until I got a new bike and was measuring to put the Fox on it.

I love the fork, easily the best air fork I have ridden, and I would pick it again. In fact, If i need another 160mm fork it will be another fox if I go air, Maybe a Lyric if I go coil

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
el_chupo_ said:
Mine is an 07 Talas. My LBS in an authorized Fox repair center, so taking it to my LBS is "sending it to Fox" for most stuff. He normally does the 32 series forks and all their shocks, but had to send the Talas in for repair.

I had a loss of travel, about an inch. It still felt great, so I dont know how long I had been riding with less travel, I didnt notice it until I got a new bike and was measuring to put the Fox on it.

I love the fork, easily the best air fork I have ridden, and I would pick it again. In fact, If i need another 160mm fork it will be another fox if I go air, Maybe a Lyric if I go coil
Thanks. I'm leaning more towards the 36 talas and will probably go that route. I have read so much stuff on both that my head is swimming with info. I keep reading that if your over 200lbs, which I am then you need to change the oil in the Magura right off the bat and that the Albert select is ok but not ground breaking or anything. All in all most every review on the 08-09 Talas forks have been very possitive and sound exactly like what I need on my all mt beast, now I just need to save a little and the 36 will be mine.:)

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
I have a 06/07 (not sure exactly the year, got it last spring) Wotan and I'm battling with it a bit myself right now. It's a fantastic fork but I've been having trouble with hung bump stops after servicing the lowers. I'm not sure why but it's kind of a crap shoot as to whether or not I will get full travel or not and it doesn't seem to be damper or spring related. I've noticed the bump stops on the fork are these huge chunky donuts and I'm wondering if that has something to do with it, I may pull those off and replace with something slimmer to see if it helps, I'm a little frustrated with it right now.

Other than that when it works it works excellent! Extremely stiff, super plush, everything just works. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to warn you away from this fork, I'm extremely happy with it, just trying to iron out the bumps (stops) from an earlier model. I even have a set of test Enduro Seals on it right now, hopefully Chris isn't too pissed at me for not providing enough feedback... it isn't exactly riding season in my area right now :eek: . Anyways, they are working excellent for the little rides I've done, hopefully they will be an addition to his lineup in the future. I'm gonna shoot you an email with the install pics later today in case your reading this Chris!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.