Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been rocking a pair of HS-33's for over three years now. They've always provided me with great power and modulation, but as any owner can tell you, they're not too fun to setup.

Anyway, eventually the rear (steel) booster broke. This happened because I shaved part of it down a hair in an attempt to gain more clearance between the booster and the tire. Realizing my mistake, I ordered a new pair of Magura specific boosters - this time CNC machined aluminum ones. They've held up quite well, though there is only maybe 2mm of space between the booster and the tire. Consequently, because my wheels are not 100% true, they occasionally rub.

I'd been thinking about upgrading to the Evo2 system for some time and decided I'd finally go for it; thinking that I might like to upgrade to some bigger tires in the future. Well, I ordered the adapter kits and they arrived promptly. Unfortunately, the boosters were not included. I have since called Magura USA and they will be shipping me the boosters seperately on Tuesday. A little irritating, but whatever.

So anyway, I decided to go ahead and install the front brake without the booster. It seems the addition of the mounting plate forces both of the booster bolts into a fixed position (which is great!), however I'm still skeptical I'm not going to have much tire clearance with the new booster on. Judging from the picture on Magura's website (english), I'm skeptical. Has it been redesigned to allow for more clearance? They are advertised as being able to fit a 2.5" tire....but is that WITH the booster or not?

My wheelset is decent and in good shape, otherwise I probably would have pushed for discs, but I'm still very nervous I've made a poor decision. Clearly I should have researched these adapters more before purchasing, but I feel I've been slightly misled by the information on the website.

Mike T, or any other Magurites with Evo2's, I'd love to hear from you.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the booster has been redesigned to allow for more clearance, then. That's great to hear.

I understand that you need the booster for maximum braking power and minimum fork/frame flex, but the brakes still work without the booster mounted. Trust me... I went for a quick ride with them and other than feeling a little mushy (compared to the back), it wasn't even a problem.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts

Is this the setup you bought? If so, it looks like the front booster can be fitted or not fitted. I think last year's setup just had the rear mounting plate. If they're supplying a front booster as standard (New for 2006: The HS 33 comes now with boosters as standard equipment!) you can bet your valvecaps that Magura thinks they're a good idea. Why include them if it isn't?

As for tire clearance - the booster space look at least as wide as the fork brace opening. That looks like 2.5"+ to me. Their words - "Compatible with tires up to 2.5".

·
Registered
5 Posts
so instead of openign up a new thread i figured you guys would know best.. i just picked up a norco moment frame and i need to decide on a rim brake that would work well for street/urban/trials riding how much of a pain are the mags to keep up? are they as much hell to keep in working order as ive heard? does anyone happen to know of a rim that wont be crushed

·
Magurified
483 Posts
jralways said:
how much of a pain are the mags to keep up? are they as much hell to keep in working order as ive heard?
Set and forget. My HS22s were perfectly fine for many years, and only ever bled them because I changed to blingy braided hoses (for no reason other than bling). I find V-brakes are "hell to keep in working order" whereas maguras are not.

does anyone happen to know of a rim that wont be crushed
Not typically a problem anymore. I used Mavic 121 and D521 with them without any problems.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
jralways said:
how much of a pain are the mags to keep up? are they as much hell to keep in working order as ive heard?
Pain? Hell? Who have you been misled by? Magura rim brakes are zeeeero upkeep. As Isaac said, "fit and forget". I too fiddled with Vs and cantis until I was sick of it. The Magura rimmers are a breath of fresh air in comparison.

does anyone happen to know of a rim that wont be crushed
What a load of crap. The only rim you will crush is one with its sidewalls already worn out. Otherwise, like upkeep, it's not an issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.