Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed there was a similar thread recently... But found it to be worthless. I'm ordering some trick stuff breaks in silver but that will be 5 to 6 months before they arrive. In the interim I need some suitable brakes for my SB130 I just built up. I will be selling these breaks once my trick stuff arrive.

I've never owned shimano brakes but when I have been on demo bikes I never seemed to mind the on off feel and they always felt adequate in power since I only weigh 150 pounds.

I can get either of these for $190 so pretty darn cheap for such good brakes. I lean towards the Magura but I'm not set on that. I'm thinking they have more power and are lighter, but I've also heard they are very finnicky to set up given the tight pad to rotor clearance.

I imagine resale between the 2 would be similar as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did you ever consider Formula Cura or Cura 4? Currently have 4 pots version and like them a lot. Had Trail Sport, Guides and Hope E4. All of the above were solid, besides Sram. But Cura 4 is my favorite

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have the Trail Sports and have ridden a bike with the XT's. I much prefer the Magura's. Better modulation, better lever (I know, personal preference), easy to bleed, etc. Shimano's have too much of an on/off feeling to me.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to go with the Magura Trail Sport...more power and lighter (I've gram counted just about every part on this bike so why stop now!). I looked at the Mt5s too, but pretry much everybody likes the HC lever better. Who knows...maybe I wont want the Trickstuff brakes after giving these a go!

Sounds like a proper bleed is critical...more so than other brakes or you end up with a mushy lever. And minimal pad clearance...those seem to be the only knocks.

I'll report back!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Basically the tight pad spacing is typical for most brakes that aren't big S. At least from my personal experience. But you get consistent lever feel.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I got the Magura sport trail, and it was a mistake. Several bleeds later, from 2 shops, and we've determined without a doubt one of them has a leak. What I did not mention previously is that I had a set of MT7 with the same issue a couple years ago. So I am done with magura. Even the side that worked (rear) did not feel great...not bad, just not great.

I am undecided between XT and formula cura to part... So I just ordered both because I'm on a riding trip and I need to get in action quickly... so i have the next day or 2 to decide which are getting mounted up. Leaning Formula Cura for modulation, but got the XT on order in case there are any hangups.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, I got the Magura sport trail, and it was a mistake. Several bleeds later, from 2 shops, and we've determined without a doubt one of them has a leak. What I did not mention previously is that I had a set of MT7 with the same issue a couple years ago. So I am done with magura. Even the side that worked (rear) did not feel great...not bad, just not great.

I am undecided between XT and formula cura to part... So I just ordered both because I'm on a riding trip and I need to get in action quickly... so i have the next day or 2 to decide which are getting mounted up. Leaning Formula Cura for modulation, but got the XT on order in case there are any hangups.
Yesterday I tested my Cura 4 against XT on my buddies bike and liked Cura way better. Much smoother and more predicted action. But pads, oil and spares is tough to get.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the Cura 2-pots installed yesterday and test rode at the bike park. Sure wish I would have started with these. Massive power for dual piston brakes...probably 25% more power than the Guide Ultimates I was running on 2 bikes last year! What a value! They were just meant to be a temporary solution till Trickstuff arrive, but it might be hard to pull these things off...especially if they dont exhibit any fade as the magazine reviews attested to.

They are more on/off than I was expecting...between Shimano and SRAM, but closer to Shimano. Not a bad thing, as I never minded riding demo bikes with XTs (except I find 4-piston XTs dangerously grabby).

My only gripe is that the lever could be a little thicker to the touch. And I'm feeling the pulsating of the rotor cutouts on the front, but I'll lame the Shimano XTR rotors for that.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Couple pics! Might not be as flashy as the Trickstuff...but after 2 sets of failed Maguras, I'm tired of playing with brakes...these might earn a permanent home on my dream build!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I am right where you are with 2 sets of Maguras that have gone through several warranty issues and never had the almighty power reviews claim. Bleeding is awful even for shops. I've broken lever bodies, levers, stripped bled ports and now the most recent is a stripped lever camp. I use a torque wrench on everything.

I'll be picking up a pair of the new Shimano XTs once they come out in a few days. I really wanted to like the Maguras, but have lost all confidence in them. The carbotecture body is the culprit. Euro love for lightweight has its limits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.