Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,247 Posts
I've been running a Thor for about 3 months now.

Good:
The fork is sweet, buttery smooth, easy to set up. Very light (140 mm fork). Maxle Lite works great. Mine came with the 20 mm through axle, even better I think, just stick a 5mm allen wrench through - I have one in my pocket anyway.

Neutral:
Needed to put bigger rotor on as the fork won't accept 165mm rotor. Some weight put back on the bike, I haven't had the need for the big rotor yet.......but I'm sure I'll notice it on a loooooong downhill section.

Bad:
Expensive. $825 The travel adjust lever is kind of hokey, I think I'm gonna redesign it so it is under the bar.
 

Attachments

·
trail fairy
Joined
·
9,546 Posts
Sexy, be nice if Magura offered an option without the dam remotes :rolleyes:

and a coil Wotan similar weight to the Van :D or 5.5lbs purfect:thumbsup:

I'd be on board!

Nice gmats very nice big rotor no worris:thumbsup: Its a smart move, less adaptors needed, right rotr sizing for peeps on the right fork, for weight its about the braking and fluid control for master cyclinder! cool..DA is sexyyyyy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
Actually, you don't need to mount the remote to operate the travel adjust. I have just put a Thor on the Spot and decided against mounting the remote simply because it is too fragile and wouldn't last the first hard crash. If I need to lower the fork, I just twist the black cap by hand and push on the handlebar, not too hard to do even while riding.

The fork is very plush and linear but has consistent midstroke. My issue with the fork right now is a slight top-out thunk when I lift the front end (not if the front wheel is on the ground) which, unfortunately, seems to be a common occurance. I chatted with Magura USA about it and they suggested adding between 0.5ml and 2.5ml of Type 5 Magura suspension blood to the air chamber. This makes the fork a bit more progressive as well, which doesn't hurt in my opinion.

The weight of the fork with the light axle (not Maxle, needs a 5mm hex but lower profile) is 4.1lbs.
 

·
trail fairy
Joined
·
9,546 Posts
Awsum ny :thumbsup: re travel adjust, have to tickle up the IMP here about that, he told me wasn't removable :rolleyes: LOL.

Nice info on the fluid heights! I'm doing that as std with all my sus now since my 66 back in 06 quick break in then take a dump new fluids measure heights, gets the wts rights for my spring rates! I'll be doing Enduro seals in futchur at same time no pissin around, doin it myself helps :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,247 Posts
trailadvent said:
Sexy, be nice if Magura offered an option without the dam remotes :rolleyes:

and a coil Wotan similar weight to the Van :D or 5.5lbs purfect:thumbsup:

I'd be on board!

Nice gmats very nice big rotor no worris:thumbsup: Its a smart move, less adaptors needed, right rotr sizing for peeps on the right fork, for weight its about the braking and fluid control for master cyclinder! cool..DA is sexyyyyy!
You can use the fork without the remote but I found it very difficult to adjust the fork height without it. Time will tell whether I'm actually going to adjust travel often enough anyway.

Thanks for the compliments on the pictures. Yes, I totally agree, it's nice to have the brake mounted without an adapter, that's why I figured it was an "even trade".

happysv said:
Cheers gmats.

Nice pics and I see what you mean about the remote.

Ian
I'm including one more picture of the remote.

trailadvent said:
Awsum ny :thumbsup: re travel adjust, have to tickle up the IMP here about that, he told me wasn't removable :rolleyes: LOL.

Nice info on the fluid heights! I'm doing that as std with all my sus now since my 66 back in 06 quick break in then take a dump new fluids measure heights, gets the wts rights for my spring rates! I'll be doing Enduro seals in futchur at same time no pissin around, doin it myself helps :thumbsup:
It most certainly is removable.

Yes, nice info about the fluid level.

unclekittykiller said:
not sure what you mean. where is the hex bolt? i can't see it in any of the pics
When I get a chance, I'll get a photo of this. It bolts into the front of the fork and "jams" the axle in a clever way to not allow it to back out.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,335 Posts
I have the Thor and love it. As already described, it is very linear and stiff. I absolutely love the remote travel adjustment because the fork drops 40mm of travel for steep climbs while staying plush.

nybike1971 said:
The fork is very plush and linear but has consistent midstroke. My issue with the fork right now is a slight top-out thunk when I lift the front end (not if the front wheel is on the ground) which, unfortunately, seems to be a common occurance. I chatted with Magura USA about it and they suggested adding between 0.5ml and 2.5ml of Type 5 Magura suspension blood to the air chamber. This makes the fork a bit more progressive as well, which doesn't hurt in my opinion.
I have the same issue, how do you add the blood to the air chamber?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
CDMC said:
I have the same issue, how do you add the blood to the air chamber?
Unfortunately, it does not affect the top-out clunk. It was a miscommunication with Magura USA, they thought I meant a bottom-out clunk ... Adding suspension oil to the air chamber reduces the volume and makes travel more progressive but it doesn't affect top-out clunk at all.

I am still working with Magura USA to find a solution, I'll report back if anything I try works out.
 

·
trail fairy
Joined
·
9,546 Posts
nybike1971 said:
Unfortunately, it does not affect the top-out clunk. It was a miscommunication with Magura USA, they thought I meant a bottom-out clunk ... Adding suspension oil to the air chamber reduces the volume and makes travel more progressive but it doesn't affect top-out clunk at all.

I am still working with Magura USA to find a solution, I'll report back if anything I try works out.
I guess you've tried backing off some rebound, I like fast but too much can cause that, sometimes its just a faulty cartridge! replacement is the only option, cart not fork lol :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,247 Posts
unclekittykiller said:
not sure what you mean. where is the hex bolt? i can't see it in any of the pics
OK, as promised, here are the pictures of how the Magura Axle is "locked" into the fork. It uses a 5 mm (hex wrench) jam bolt to pinch the axle. I tend to believe this "jam nut" is a "lawyer safety" device.

I'm also including weights of the axle, axle with jamming hardware and Maxle lite. Just goes to show how light the Maxle lite really is.

Aloha,
g
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
baltik said:
nybike - was your top-out issue ever fixed?
I am still waiting on the replacement FCR unit from Magura (they were out of stock and I am currently away from home). When I see the new unit I'll know if they modified the design to fix the problem or not.

In the meantime, I fixed my own cartridge by machining a bushing that can support a top-out elastomer (absent in the stock negative chamber design) and added one such elastomer. If Magura did not do something like this with the new cartridge it is still going to top out harshly unless you really slow down the rebound.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top