Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a set of Magura HS22's and a heavy Big Dummy cargo bike. Even though the frame can run disc brakes, I have neither disc hubs, calipers, nor the money to buy them. So, I was thinking about running these old maguras. Here's my questions:

Do I need to use a booster? I've heard of people bending and breaking frames, but the boosters I have won't fit over my balloon tires. So would I have to order some larger ones or can I go sans booster?

Can I expect more braking power than I get from my XT V brakes? Unweighted, the dummy weighs 55lbs and with cargo and rider, I can easily push 300-400lbs. Right now, the V's aren't cutting it, so I need to do something.

Are these so completely obsolete that I should just forget about it and save my pennies for some disc brakes?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any info! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Why not put em on and try?

I've got hs22's or 33's on 2 bikes. I run 1 bike without the booster, and one with. Without the booster you can watch the fork and seat stay flex. It does compromise ultimate power.

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks fervor! I really wanted some opinions before installing since I have to make the lines, bleed them . . . so I wanted to see if it's even worth the effort. However, I must say that the lack of interest in this thread is a clear indication that they are obsolete, and that I might be wasting my time. Either way, I picked up some oversized boosters of the bay so I can get started!

·
Magura N. America Svc Mgr
266 Posts
Hello Sizzler

Now before you give up on those old HS-series brakes, know this.
Magura manufactures and sells over 300,000 of those brakes every year and you see them prominently on trekking and "panniered" bikes all over Europe.

Hopefully that answers some of your concerns about ability and reliability and neither are a factor!

The most difficult part of those brakes is the install as they are infinitely adjustable and configurable so you can spend some time fiddling and perfecting their initial set up. After that however, they will never need anything more than a pad change every several years.

If it weren't for Disc brakes superior performance in the wet, these brakes would be the benchmark for all others!

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured there was nothing to worry about considering the size of the tubing. I suppose if something were to give, it would likely be the canti bosses. I'm going to get started setting them up and post some pictures as I go!

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I set up the front, but wasn't too impressed with the performance. I probably need to adjust them a bit more. The back is a bit more complicated because I need to remove all the xtracycle junk and the hydraulic line needs to be a lot longer, like tandem length!

Attachments

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick update: after installing the rear brake and making some adjustments, I have to say that these things are awesome! I would say braking power is second only to hydro discs, but much easier to set up!

·
Magura N. America Svc Mgr
266 Posts
Hey thanks for the update, remember you will have an option of pad compounds still available for those things. Any shop that deals with BTI can get anything from us.

red - soft
green - wet
grey - ceramic rim compatible
black - endurance

A set of four rim brake pads cost about the same as a set of two disc brake pads.

Enjoy

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a picture of my loaded Big Dummy on my morning commute. I live up in the hills and had unbelievable stopping power riding downhill. Very pleased! BTW, thanks for the pad explanation, I need to pick up some green ones for this pacific northwest weather!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.