Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Quimby!
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone else can see the Magura advertisement on the Brake Time forum, but it leads me to my question. Does anyone know the supposed benefits of radially mounted master cylinders:confused: ?

I have no idea how long Magura or any other manufacturer have had such a design for bicycles, so I am assuming that this is another innovation from the stable of our motorised cousins?

·
Magurified
483 Posts
Don't know of any particular benefits, other than it's a very elegant piece of design from an engineering standpoint. Worth noting perhaps that Gustav and Julie do not use the radial design.

·
The Quimby!
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
G'day Isaac, I did read a while back in a motorbike magazine that radial master cylinders offer better feel at the lever. Any how, the Magura levers do look very nice, but it would do them alot more justice if there were real benefits as well :eek: .

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I believe "radial" refers to when the piston in the master cylinder is oriented perpendicular to the handlebar (e.g., Magura Louise), while "non-radial" refers to when the master cylinder is roughly parallel to the handlebar (e.g., Avid Juicy). The main advantages of the radial design are supposedly that they can offer larger diameter bores, a fine adjustment for the lever position, and a selection of pivot lengths. Not sure why you couldn't get a non-radial to do the same, but anyway...

·
The Quimby!
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tscheezy said:
I believe "radial" refers to when the piston in the master cylinder is oriented perpendicular to the handlebar (e.g., Magura Louise), while "non-radial" refers to when the master cylinder is roughly parallel to the handlebar (e.g., Avid Juicy). The main advantages of the radial design are supposedly that they can offer larger diameter bores, a fine adjustment for the lever position, and a selection of pivot lengths. Not sure why you couldn't get a non-radial to do the same, but anyway...
No worries Tscheezy, I am pretty sure that there are benefits in theory, but like a lot of new mountain bike stuff these days, the theoretical benefits may be so subtle as to be marginal in reality.
They are very nice looking though :thumbsup: :D !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.