Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Funny, I just sold my set of XT's and bought a new 09 set of the Louise Carbons. Shimano has been all I've had, so I wanted a change. I rode the XT 775's for 2 seasons. I had ZERO issues. They were outstanding brakes. I bled them a few times, trying to get the right feel dialed in. I replaced the pads once. I used the XTR resin pads. I had no brake squeal, not even on the new pads. That is something I'm dealing with now on the Magura set. I'm hoping its just an issue of breaking in the pads (2 rides and appx 20 miles). We'll see. As for feel, I would say overall stopping power is equal. Where I feel a difference is in the initial lever action. There is a bite there that I didn't have with the XT set. That may be due to the Servo Wave mech on the XT. From what I've read, it takes the modulation out of the picture and does it for you. Both have lever reach adjustment. The BAT on the Louise does adjust the bite though. I'm enjoying setting them up in that regard. It seems like there are more options. I've had way too little time on them to give a good review, but so far I'm quite happy with the purchase (assuming the pads will break in and the squeal will go away).

Hope this is somewhat helpful
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,784 Posts
Get Magura and enjoy over-engineered, German braking precision and reliability.
 

·
11 is one louder than 10
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
Coop29 said:
I rode the XT 775's for 2 seasons. I had ZERO issues. They were outstanding brakes. I bled them a few times, trying to get the right feel dialed in. I replaced the pads once. I used the XTR resin pads. I had no brake squeal, not even on the new pads l
XT's all the way. See above as to why.

Tons of power, easy as heck set-up, mineral oil is also nice. No squeal etc.

My hope is that the new XTR do all of the above and at a lighter weight and even easier bleed.

I've tried several brands and types of disc brakes.

By far the current Shimano XT's are the best of the bunch.

My second choice - avid BB7's with a sealed cable system and avid ultimate levers.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,784 Posts
My Magura Marta SL has been ridden hard(1200mi/season) for the past two seasons...and NEVER BLED. I've gone through three sets of pads and they just keep on stopping...in a most quiet and powerful way.
 

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Joined
·
325 Posts
I got Magura Marta's on my new Titus.. and absolutely hate them. They've faded the lever to the bar within 15mins of riding it. Theyre junk and going in the bin as soon as my XT's arrive.

Every shop has shimano parts, kits, and know how to fix/work/bleed them.

Here in Aussie, a shop that knows what to do with Magura's is rare. Theres no Aussie distributor, so no parts/pads/kits for them avail.

I just hate them. They made my 24hr race hell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
KYjelly Every shop has shimano parts said:
I have always heard that Shimano does not sell small parts/rebuild kits for their brakesets. Is it something only shops can get as Shimano dealers?

Barry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Zachariah said:
My Magura Marta SL has been ridden hard(1200mi/season) for the past two seasons...and NEVER BLED. I've gone through three sets of pads and they just keep on stopping...in a most quiet and powerful way.
Have you had a break in period with any of the sets of pads where you experienced squealing? Caliper aligned, pads new, and rotors swabbed with alcohol. I am using the shimano rotors- surely that wouldn't be a factor?? Really in hopes it is break in as I'm really starting to like the feel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Have had Martas on my XC bike and Louises on my AM rig for years. Never had a single problem with them.

During this time I have had two sets of XTs and a set of Hope V2s on other bikes. The Hopes were good. I could not stand the XTs. I know that they are easy to work on and everyone has parts, but their stopping power and modulation were not even close to my Martas, let alone my Louises.

I will never give XTs another try.

My opinion only - obviously others have had great luck with their XTs.
 

·
code: mtbr2011
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
i rode martas for 10 years with only 3 bleeds in that whole time. they are supple, solid and quiet. my only complaint is that the levers develop some play in them vertically over time, but i felt that they were excellent brakes. all i ever did was replace the pads, and blow out the brake dust every now and again.
i just got the xt brakes, and they are really nice. great stopping power, super quiet and nice adjustments in the reach.
i had once - for some unknown reason - bought a new avid juicy 7 rear brake to replace my marta because of the sloppy brake lever and freaking hated it...i was embarassed to ride because of how silly loud it was. i took it off after 2 rides and sold it to some guy locally and reinstalled my marta.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,784 Posts
Coop29 said:
Have you had a break in period with any of the sets of pads where you experienced squealing? Caliper aligned, pads new, and rotors swabbed with alcohol. I am using the shimano rotors- surely that wouldn't be a factor??
No issues whatsoever. Install the pads correctly, and they just do their job...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
I looked a little closer today and may have found the problem. I'm using my Shimano RT75 rotors and the pads are going too far down the rotor. Below the braking surface and touching the arms (for lack of proper term) that extend from the braking surface to the bolt area. It looks like 1/4 in or so. I'm using the correct adapters, so I know that isn't the problem. Maybe I need to get the Magura rotors???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Marta squeal

I went through the XT vs Marta SL choice a few months back (there is a thread on this board). Everyone raved about the XT stuff but I ended up going with the 2010 Marta SL's (which use the same pads as the Louise).

They are by far the best "feeling" brakes I have ever owned. Modulation is excellent and power is plenty for my rig. Very happy with the purchase. I am currently using my old shimano clean sweep rotors and also have the overlap onto the arm portion of the rotor. They were dead silent for maybe 500-800 miles but are now starting to squeal a bit. Nothing terrible, nothing like my Juicy 5's, but it is getting worse.

I am thinking about swapping out rotors to something else, just not sure which yet.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,784 Posts
MD Sleep said:
I went through the XT vs Marta SL choice a few months back (there is a thread on this board). Everyone raved about the XT stuff but I ended up going with the 2010 Marta SL's (which use the same pads as the Louise).

They are by far the best "feeling" brakes I have ever owned. Modulation is excellent and power is plenty for my rig. Very happy with the purchase. I am currently using my old shimano clean sweep rotors and also have the overlap onto the arm portion of the rotor. They were dead silent for maybe 500-800 miles but are now starting to squeal a bit. Nothing terrible, nothing like my Juicy 5's, but it is getting worse.

I am thinking about swapping out rotors to something else, just not sure which yet.
Clean the rotor, pads and caliper with alcohol and a Q-tip...let dry and noise is completely GONE...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
@MD Sleep - change over to Magura rotors as the brake track is wider than on the Shimano rotors. Magura have new Storm and Storm SL rotors coming out (if they're not out already) that should help with overlap.

To the OP - I have a set of XTs (M775) on one bike (180/160) and Louise BATs (180/180) on another. For me, the Louise are the more powerful of the brakes. The modulation of both brakes is very similar and far better than the J7s that the Maguras replaced.
I don't think you can go wrong with either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
647 Posts
I can only speak for M775 XT. The came stock on my 2009 Giant Anthem X2. Love the way it feels. No complaints.

My riding style didnt match the 160mm front rotor well. Needed more instant power. I replaced it with the all mighty 203mm RT76 2-piece with new kool stop sintered pads. After a short break in period, my brakes are on ROIDS. Instant stopping power that I didnt know existed. No more preparing to stop 30 ft out to clear a switchback. My friends laugh at the fact the rotor is as big as the rim. I am not a wight weenie to its no big deal.

I have rode my friends rig with Avid Elixirs and those seem to be good too. Never tested Magura brakes so cant shed any light on the comparison.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
So, I have magura louise carbon bat and so far I have nothing but words of prais to say for these brakes when talking about their performance. Only possible downside (for some people including myself) can be the fact that magura rotors, bleeding kit and brake pads are as expensive as brand new set of xt brakes.
also on a plus side; maguras are very easy for maintenance and setup.

I was thinking about trying out xt brakes, but reading other peoples opinions I decided not to change them but to continue with them until they stop working! :) :)
 

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Joined
·
325 Posts
I have to admit, after having to order a bleed kit specific for my brake from ebay, and actually having to teach myself how to do it (the little peice of photocopied a5 paper was completely cryptic at best) the brakes now feel really, really good. THink I may stick with them a while.

However, in cleaning up the spillage of brake fluid at the caliper, I used metho (methylated spirits) to spray and clean up (like I usually do) and its melted the finish on the reservoir top cap. Anyone know where I could get some? LBS laughed at me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
KYjelly said:
I have to admit, after having to order a bleed kit specific for my brake from ebay, and actually having to teach myself how to do it (the little peice of photocopied a5 paper was completely cryptic at best) the brakes now feel really, really good. THink I may stick with them a while.

However, in cleaning up the spillage of brake fluid at the caliper, I used metho (methylated spirits) to spray and clean up (like I usually do) and its melted the finish on the reservoir top cap. Anyone know where I could get some? LBS laughed at me.
I think that brake fluid (if u used the right one than it is mineral oil) stayed a bit too long and it melted your finish...
is this the thing you are looking for? top cap
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top