Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the midst of slight mods for my bike which included some new welded on cable guides, powder coat, new wheel set and brake pads..

I've decided to keep the sock Shimano 486 brakes but I'm going to need new rotors as the old ones were center locks and I sold them with my wheels. I''v narrowed it down to these two manly due to price and local availability. Does anyone have experience or input on which rotor would be the best match for a Shimano 486 brake caliper?

Magura Storm rotor http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BR266L01-Magura+Storm+Rotor.aspx

Hayes V-cut rotors http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BR307C09-Hayes+V7+Rotor.aspx

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Hayes V-cut rotors measure 1.75 mm in thickness, same as my old Shimano rotors and the Magura Storm rotors are 2mm.

I've read that a thicker rotor is better at dispensing heat as well as being more rigid and lasting longer however, would the extra width present a problem if the caliper was designed with the 1.75mm width of the stock rotors?

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
You're going to get bad brake drag, if you put Maguras on there. I had the same dilemma before, and just upgraded to Magura...BEST brakeset I ever owned, almost 5 years never bled!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think I should stick with the Hayes rotors then? Also which Shimano brakes did you have before and did you try the Magura rotors on them and which Magura brakes do you have now?

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
Yes, Hayes V-cut rotors are good. I had the older Shimano XTR BR-M965 disc with Magura Wavy SL rotors(bad idea) and finally switched to full Magura Marta SL 2007. I just installed Storm SL rotors on them and they make zero noise and stop better than ever...even while wet. Magura is well worth the extra $$$....I know guys still running Magura Marta 2003....and still going strong!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
Width, strictly. Otherwise - it could have worked great. The drag caused a nasty squeal, which dissipated as you went faster. Going uphill, the resistance can clearly be felt.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zachariah said:
Width, strictly. Otherwise - it could have worked great. The drag caused a nasty squeal, which dissipated as you went faster. Going uphill, the resistance can clearly be felt.
I thought that the hydro brakes pad would adjust to the thickness of a rotor when applied.

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
They do, but you're talking about self-centering adjustment. When default pad return clearance is less than 2mm....you got problems.Magura pad clearance is set at 2.25mm. Go ahead and try the Storms, if you insist. It works....but the drag will make you nuts.:madman: I've tried just about every brake/rotor combination out there, and I know what works.

·
GONE
26,876 Posts
Whats wrong with simply sticking with Shimano rotors for Shimano brakes? My wife's bike has 486's on it with SM RT51 discs and it's smooth as silk and powerful enough for her needs.

The brakeset was actually somewhere around 150 grams lighter than the Tektro mechanical discs it originally came with, too!

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
ambassadorhawg said:
Whats wrong with simply sticking with Shimano rotors for Shimano brakes? My wife's bike has 486's on it with SM RT51 discs and it's smooth as silk and powerful enough for her needs.

The brakeset was actually somewhere around 150 grams lighter than the Tektro mechanical discs it originally came with, too!
+1 ....a perfectly good rotor for a ISO 6-bolt wheelset.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nothing wrong with Shimano rotors however, I just purchased a new wheel set with 6 bolt instead of centerlock and I also sold my stock rotors with my old wheel set so I'm looking for new rotors that are compatible at a good price...the Hayes are cheaper and seem compatible.

·
GONE
26,876 Posts
djembe975 said:
Nothing wrong with Shimano rotors however, I just purchased a new wheel set with 6 bolt instead of centerlock and I also sold my stock rotors with my old wheel set so I'm looking for new rotors that are compatible at a good price...the Hayes are cheaper and seem compatible.
Hayes rotors are cheaper than these?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Pair-Shiman...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb3224b2c

...this listing is for a PAIR of brand new discs that are specifically made for Shimano BR-M486 brakes.

·
Registered
574 Posts
FWIW, I use the new Magura Storm SL rotors with my SLX brakes. No dragging, no noise, excellent stopping.

Edit: if you do go for magura rotors, don't get the original storms, go for the SL's, they're much improved over the original.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
ambassadorhawg said:
Hayes rotors are cheaper than these?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Pair-Shiman...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb3224b2c

...this listing is for a PAIR of brand new discs that are specifically made for Shimano BR-M486 brakes.
Although those brakes on Ebay are at a good price, I need a 180mm rotor and would rather get them locally instead of waiting for who knows how long for the items to ship from Taiwan

Anyone try using the Hayes Vcut rotors on entry level Shimaoo brakes like the 486?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.