Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Shimano Zees on all my mtbs. I like how they feel, they have great power, and they're easy to service. I don't care about features otherwise.

I'm intrigued by magura mt5 trails. They're about the same price, 4 pot, mineral oil... look like direct competitors. I like that there's multiple lever options. I've never used them, and haven't paid attention when i see them running around.

How do they stack up? Horror stories? Love letters? I want it!

Oh, i'm 230lbs and live next to some properly steep mountains. DH brakes are my trail brakes.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Went from ZEE's to MT5's and much prefer the Magura's. I did change the MT lever to the one finger metal version from the standard plasticky feeling one that they come with.

My ZEE calipers would let the pistons retract when going thru really rough sections causing the lever to come to the bar and require a second pump to get any action, the Magura do not suffer this at all (I could replicate it on a piece of trail I rode regularly). It was liveable having this quirk with the shimano but it did get my attention one too many times hence me changing brands.

The Magura's have been flawless. A little more finicky to set up (bleed and rotor rub) but once set up truly set and forget. Great power and feel with much more modulation than the ZEE.

·
Boom bap ambassador
920 Posts
I have had both Zee and MT5.

Zee were good (over a year on them) and they didn't require anything other than replacing pads.

I had Magura (Louise) before the Zee and I went from Zee back to Magura (MT Trail so 4 piston front and 2 piston rear) because I really prefer the feel of Magura which I guess is really more modulation on the lever.

That feeling is more intuitive or comfortable to me since that is what I'm used to historically.

If you don't care about modulation or are happy with Zee I don't know that you are missing out.

By the same token you could say - maybe I'm missing out, I dunno. Would have to try something else to see - then MT or Formula Cura/Cura 4 would be a good way to go in my opinion.

I would say that the MT series can be tricky to get right on the bleed but there is a pretty foolproof technique -
with the caveat that I position the master cylinder pointing slightly down during the bleed and push some fluid through to get any pesky air bubbles out of the master cylinder.

If you cut corners on the Magura bleed or don't have the right technique they can be tricky for sure.

I switched from a set of MT7 to Formula Cura recently and I really really like them...so much so I might be selling my MT Trail set on my other bike to keep matching brakes for spares and maintenance.

Formula is less expensive than Magura, can be rebuilt, and the lever feel is more modulation-tastic if that is even a word and possible.

Depending on how adventurous/curious you are I don't think you can go wrong there with Zee, MT, or Cura to be honest.

Just depends on if you feel like you are missing out with modulation or not I think.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,819 Posts
(I'm 205lbs without gear and have been using SLX/XT brakes forever)

I have the MT Trail Sport 4pot/2pot brakes on my Krampus with 3" Minion tires and 203/180 rotors. Excellent braking power and modulation. I bought a second set for another bike.

Good value IMO, but kind of a pain to bleed the first time around. If you're lucky you won't need to bleed it at all.

Complaints:
- brake pads seem to drift around and tick the rotor intermittently, doesn't effect functionality just an audible annoyance. (you can use your thumbs and press the pads back using the rotor while the wheel is still on the bike. It works for a while)

- They warble in a funny way when braking hard. It's not brake squeal it's from the cutouts in the rotors. It's kind of noisy but again only a minor audible annoyance.

- The plastic bleed screw on the lever is F*&$ing stupid. It can only be tightened to 1nm or it will strip out the threads. Why is that not a metal piece???

Overall they are great brakes though IMO.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,819 Posts
apparently a lot of maguras have bleeding issues... and are hard to bleed...
so, ZEE all the way. Immediate stopping power.
Have you ever tried to bleed an Avid? 5x harder than a Magura.

It's a slightly different procedure with slightly different quarks (compared to Shimano), it might cost you 30 minutes the first time you do it. It also may not need a bleed at all. I've only done 4 Magura brakes on my personal bikes, only one was a pain, the first one. The rest didn't even need to be bled. Hence why I bought a second set, I was impressed with the price, modulation, and power.

Not that the Shimano products are bad, but sometimes learning a new process takes a few minutes. It's a small side note, not a deal breaker. Small price to pay for low maintenance, high performance brakes.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Looks like consensus is that they're a totally viable alternative, and may be better depending on preferences. I think i'll give them a shot! My buddy that has a set says the 2 finger levers are trash and to immediately swap to the 1 finger ones. Anyone think he's full of it?

Thanks for the homework. Serious, that's super helpful. :cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Have you ever tried to bleed an Avid? 5x harder than a Magura.

It's a slightly different procedure with slightly different quarks (compared to Shimano), it might cost you 30 minutes the first time you do it. It also may not need a bleed at all. I've only done 4 Magura brakes on my personal bikes, only one was a pain, the first one. The rest didn't even need to be bled. Hence why I bought a second set, I was impressed with the price, modulation, and power.

Not that the Shimano products are bad, but sometimes learning a new process takes a few minutes. It's a small side note, not a deal breaker. Small price to pay for low maintenance, high performance brakes.
apollogies for that. Its just people I know who ran magura brakes were telling me how disappointed they were from using them, but I never used them myself haha. I guess I was a bit biased.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Looks like consensus is that they're a totally viable alternative, and may be better depending on preferences. I think i'll give them a shot! My buddy that has a set says the 2 finger levers are trash and to immediately swap to the 1 finger ones. Anyone think he's full of it?

Thanks for the homework. Serious, that's super helpful. :cool:
:)

And I forgot NSMB:
https://nsmb.com/search/?query=magura

- https://nsmb.com/articles/2018-magura-mt-trail-sport-bleed-how-first-impressions/
- https://nsmb.com/articles/magura-trail-sport-brakes/

re: the levers https://nsmb.com/articles/magura-mt-trail-brakes/ (which also has a great tip re running the pad set-up from the MT7 (4 pads not 2)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
apparently a lot of maguras have bleeding issues... and are hard to bleed...
so, ZEE all the way. Immediate stopping power.
apollogies for that. Its just people I know who ran magura brakes were telling me how disappointed they were from using them, but I never used them myself haha. I guess I was a bit biased.
Hope you don't let the people you know work on your bike..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.