Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get different answers depending on who I ask, so I'm hoping for advices here.

I just ordered the Magura MT Trail Sport brake set https://www.bikester.dk/magura-mt-trail-sport-cykel-skivebremse-sort-648704.html
I currently have Shimano Deore SM-RT64 160mm rotors on my bike and I would like to keep those on (only used for ½ a year).... But would that work?

According to a supporter from the company selling the brakes I can use Shimano SM-RT64 but they MUST be 180 or 203mm. (and they tell me adapters are included with the brakes)

According to a supporter from Magura I can use 160, 180 or 203mm rotors depending on my preferences. But they strongly recommend to use rotors from Magura.

Who's right and who's wrong??

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I get different answers depending on who I ask, so I'm hoping for advices here.

I just ordered the Magura MT Trail Sport brake set https://www.bikester.dk/magura-mt-trail-sport-cykel-skivebremse-sort-648704.html
I currently have Shimano Deore SM-RT64 160mm rotors on my bike and I would like to keep those on (only used for ½ a year).... But would that work?

According to a supporter from the company selling the brakes I can use Shimano SM-RT64 but they MUST be 180 or 203mm. (and they tell me adapters are included with the brakes)

According to a supporter from Magura I can use 160, 180 or 203mm rotors depending on my preferences. But they strongly recommend to use rotors from Magura.

Who's right and who's wrong??
Magura uses 2.0mm thick rotors with a wear limit of 1.8 which is where the Shimano rotors begin.

You should not use Shimano rotors. They are popular enough I'm sure some people are doing it, but you'll have issues with the pistons with rotors that are too thin.

So, your reseller doesn't know ****.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Use Magura rotors.

Choose the size you want (180mm front and rear is popular), then buy the appropriate adapter.

It sounds like the brakes you've purchased come with an adapter for a 203mm front rotor, and an adapter for a 180mm rear rotor. So, if you want to use a 180mm front rotor, you need to buy a 180mm front adapter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot! It seems like most bikeshops are not aware of the difference in thickness.
I ordered the Magura rotors, and look forward to try the brakes :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.