Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided on a set of MT-5s for a bike update project but couldn’t find them in stock anywhere with some vendors saying they don’t expect them for at least a month. I RARELY almost never buy anything from eBay but saw these. The price was decent considering they came with rotors (listed as SLs) but not cheap or anything to raise any alarm. Also listed as new. Vendor had 99.6% positive feedback with 29K responses.
Well today this package came. The rotors are not SLs or at least recent ones though they look legit. The brakes look legit too. The box is obviously not normal but they appeared to be packaged in a factory. For what I paid the rotors basically cost me $20.
Should I be worried? Are these possibly a set as they would send for an OEM build? They don’t look used.

One caliber has a scratch that you could see happened while in the plastic bag. The owners manual says 2020.

·
Registered
598 Posts
That's exactly what they are. Gray market items. What sucks is that it doesn't come with the extra pins,olives, and bleed screws.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My mistakes on the rotors..they are listed as Storms...must be older models
That's exactly what they are. Gray market items. What sucks is that it doesn't come with the extra pins,olives, and bleed screws.
“Grey market” meaning they were originally intended for a factory build?
I didn’t realize they gave you extras BTW

·
Magically Delicious
10,193 Posts
It's usually an easy email or phone to OEM to address your concerns. They should be able to validate their authenticity. They will tell you what to look for.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's usually an easy email or phone to OEM to address your concerns. They should be able to validate their authenticity. They will tell you what to look for.
I actually called them before I posted this. The guy who answered had zero interest in helping me. He asked “is there a number on it?” I said yes and read the first 3-4 off and he stops me and says “yeah I have no way to help you. We don’t have a data base of serial numbers”. Then why did you ask???🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
598 Posts
My mistakes on the rotors..they are listed as Storms...must be older models

“Grey market” meaning they were originally intended for a factory build?
I didn’t realize they gave you extras BTW
Watch the video. The T25 l wrench is a nice thing to have too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Watch the video. The T25 l wrench is a nice thing to have too.
Well luckily I have a few of those lying around.

Here was their response. Its what I assumed but would have appreciated their description to be a bit more honest and transparent. It’s not like these were severely discounted but rather they basically charged market price for the brakes and “gave away” old stock rotors for ~$20
And despite claiming to be from Missouri, English clearly isn’t their first language. Looks like they are actually a Chinese company.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I realize that their negative feedback is small compared to the volume they do, but It's still IMO far to much to be reliable.
Good that you have the missing pcs.

Also, are the MT-5's closer to a Sram or Shimano (power wise)?

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
I actually called them before I posted this. The guy who answered had zero interest in helping me. He asked “is there a number on it?” I said yes and read the first 3-4 off and he stops me and says “yeah I have no way to help you. We don’t have a data base of serial numbers”. Then why did you ask???🤦🏻‍♂️
He was trolling you :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I realize that their negative feedback is small compared to the volume they do, but It's still IMO far to much to be reliable.
Good that you have the missing pcs.

Also, are the MT-5's closer to a Sram or Shimano (power wise)?
I find most eBay sellers to be shady. I bought a stem recently on eBay but was able to confirm there was a brick and mortar store in NJ with a website showing the same item.
As for the brakes, I haven’t put them on yet but reviews from far more experienced people than me put them in between the two in modulation feel and above most in power.
H
e was trolling you :D
Possibly, but he came off rushed and disengaged from the moment he said hello. I think I caught him on the end of his shift. It was one of those conversations where you immediately felt the person had no interest in helping you

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
I've never been burned on e-bay, not once. This includes car parts as well. Amazon on the other hand sells all kinds of knock-off bullsheeit. Same with plenty of brick and mortar chain part retailers.

Reactions: Oldstate

·
Registered
1 Posts
I decided on a set of MT-5s for a bike update project but couldn’t find them in stock anywhere with some vendors saying they don’t expect them for at least a month. I RARELY almost never buy anything from eBay but saw these. The price was decent considering they came with rotors (listed as SLs) but not cheap or anything to raise any alarm. Also listed as new. Vendor had 99.6% positive feedback with 29K responses.
Well today this package came. The rotors are not SLs or at least recent ones though they look legit. The brakes look legit too. The box is obviously not normal but they appeared to be packaged in a factory. For what I paid the rotors basically cost me $20.
Should I be worried? Are these possibly a set as they would send for an OEM build? They don’t look used.

One caliber has a scratch that you could see happened while in the plastic bag. The owners manual says 2020.
View attachment 1929937 View attachment 1929938 View attachment 1929939
Hi, I have the same situation right now, I bought the same kind of brakes with the same company. Haw where the brakes after all? I don’t know what to think about the authenticity of this brakes.. any feedback back will be super helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi, I have the same situation right now, I bought the same kind of brakes with the same company. Haw where the brakes after all? I don’t know what to think about the authenticity of this brakes.. any feedback back will be super helpful. Thanks
I they are real and work. I believe the story they are grey market packaged for favors builds. They don’t come with a new olives and barbs so you need to buy them if you are going to shorten the line.
The rotors they come with are the older heavier ones. I have two wheel sets so I used those on my asphalt set. I only bought from eBay because they are out of stock everywhere. Wouldn’t do it again though.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,589 Posts
Possibly, but he came off rushed and disengaged from the moment he said hello. I think I caught him on the end of his shift. It was one of those conversations where you immediately felt the person had no interest in helping you
I am pretty sure I’ve talked to the same guy.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,589 Posts
I think they realize they are grey market
Mine weren't.

Too bad yours were not counterfeit, they might well have been better then the real thing. Those levers are some seriously craptastic plastic garbage.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts