Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting disc brakes. I found a set of Marta sl carbon complete with extra lever, caliper, discs and service kit. Also found a complete set of mt6 with discs. Both close in price. Which one is the better buy? From what I read both are good brakes and both would be fine. Marta sl being an older style with a good history of reliability and the mt6 being newer and supposed to be a better model but doesn't have the history of reliability.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can't speak for MT6, but I own a pair of 2008 Martas and they are incredible. I really like the feel and the modulation on these, plus they require next to no maintenance - just a bleed once a year. I'm sure you won't go wrong if you end up getting them, even if they are an older model. There were some issues with early runs of MT6 and MT8, so you might want to check if the MT6 you are looking at are part of the affected series, should you choose them.

·
heaven help me
2,889 Posts
I have a set of Marta SL's and for me they are the best brake set. They have the best feel, modulation and stopping power.

·
Your Best Friend
5,297 Posts
Big difference between 08 and 09 Marta SLs. Get newer ones if you can.

·
Registered text offender
1,137 Posts
I have Marta SL carbons and MT-8's, both great.

I like the split clamp on the MT levers, having to take off your grips to remove/ install the Marta levers is their biggest downfall.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have two sets of Martas and a set of MTS - pretty similar to MT6. Not convinced by the MTS at all, not as much stopping power as my Martas and I have regular problems with vibration and noise.
My fist set of Martas are 7-8 years old now and have been heavily used for most of that time. I have had a caliper and a lever replaced under the five year warranty so they have cost me nothing execept new pads.
I have tried various pads on the MTS but nothing seems to give me that Marta "bite".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts