Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping that somone has some experience moving Magura Marta from IS to Postmount.... though I wonder if the problem is specific to Magura Marta.
I want to change my forks from previous Rockshox SID SL (with IS 51mm brake mounts) to Rockshox Recon (Post Mount 74mm, 2011 I think)
My rotor size is 180mm; based on this post: http://www.support-english.magura.com/lofi...x.php?t987.html and some others on this forum, I ordered Magura "adapter No.3"
The adapter has now arrived from Germany: but the literature with it says it is for Louise and trying it out, it does not seem to come close to getting the calliper in the right position on the disk. There seems to be only one way round that the adapter could possibly go on or am I missing something?
Are there different sizes of Marta calliper or is there some other factor?
Thanks for any advice on this.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be wrong but I think those adpaters are going the other way: putting new brake calipers (74mm Post Mount) onto old forks with IS mounting holes.
I am trying to put my IS calipers onto a new PM fork...

·
B A N N E D
5,412 Posts
Stumpjumper, your IS calipers have an IS adapter. You simply remove the adapter and mount the caliper directly to the PM fork.
That would of made sense if you said: "your PM calipers have an IS adapter. You simply remove the adapter and mount the caliper directly to the PM fork"

The OP has a IS caliper which can't be directly mounted onto a PM fork.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks cobba, I did wonder about different caliper sizes; I did go through a lot of posts but obviously missed yours from 2012.
I am guessing then, that I have long arm calipers - see photo - as it does look like the caliper could be sitting about 10mm too far out from my 180mm rotor. I guess I'll get a new rotor and try it out.
Product Black Metal Household hardware Still life photography

·
GONE
27,411 Posts
That's the old style 180mm post mount adapter.

New 180mm PM adapter: Magura QM 20
The purpose of my pic was merely to show how exaggerated the angle of the caliper is in it's position using a 180mm rotor compared to in a 160mm rotor position. I think I recall mention of the caliper looking out of position with the adapter, so I posted this pic for comparison. :)

Why is there a "new style" adapter??? Nothing wrong with the old one was there? it works great for me! :thumbsup:

·
B A N N E D
5,412 Posts
The purpose of my pic was merely to show how exaggerated the angle of the caliper is in it's position using a 180mm rotor compared to in a 160mm rotor position.
The exaggerated angle wouldn't be as big with the 'new style' of post adapter, the caliper position and angle will be completely different with it.

I think I recall mention of the caliper looking out of position with the adapter, so I posted this pic for comparison.
The caliper was out of position because you'd need to use a 200mm rotor with the 'long arm' 180mm front caliper and the No.3 adapter on 160mm post mounts.

Why is there a "new style" adapter???
Who knows, the old style adapters do the same thing as the new ones, they just look different and do it in a different way.

·
GONE
27,411 Posts
The exaggerated angle wouldn't be as big with the 'new style' of post adapter, the caliper position and angle will be completely different with it.

The caliper was out of position because you'd need to use a 200mm rotor with the 'long arm' 180mm front caliper and the No.3 adapter on 160mm post mounts.

Who knows, the old style adapters do the same thing as the new ones, they just look different and do it in a different way.
Very interesting! Thanks for your input. Does this mean that i can use this "new" adapter with my 2010 Marta SLs??? And if so, would it in effect lessen the current angle on the brake hose?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You could try the KCNC 160mm adapter in that link if you want to use a 180mm rotor.
I'll try the 200mm first - one of my mates has some "spare" 200mm rotors so I won't need to order anything. I can't think of a downside, depending on the weight of the rotor I am given...
Once I have seen it working I'll inform Magura who weren't able to answer this one :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.