Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
customized
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to try this combo and can't find much info on the use with Magura brakes. Any info would be appreciated.

How does the modulation compare?
Is there less brake fade?
Is stopping power improved?
Any difference in noise?
Are the rotors any better?
Are there more than one compound? If yes, which is better for Magura?

I have run the endurance and performance pads only in my Louise XC and FR.

Thanks in advance
Louis

·
Registered
781 Posts
Severum said:
Looking to try this combo and can't find much info on the use with Magura brakes. Any info would be appreciated.

How does the modulation compare?
Is there less brake fade?
Is stopping power improved?
Any difference in noise?
Are the rotors any better?
Are there more than one compound? If yes, which is better for Magura?

I have run the endurance and performance pads only in my Louise XC and FR.

Thanks in advance
Louis
What will be the purpose if getting Galfer rotors for Louise while you get them w/ almost the same stuff, except it's made in Germany by Magura (licensed) versus made by Galfer in Spain.
I don't know about the pads but stay away from metalic semi-metalic pads for Magura!

·
customized
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pecka said:
What will be the purpose if getting Galfer rotors for Louise while you get them w/ almost the same stuff, except it's made in Germany by Magura (licensed) versus made by Galfer in Spain.
I don't know about the pads but stay away from metalic semi-metalic pads for Magura!
The Magura rotor design is licensed from Galfer so need to change that. I am wondering about the pads though. They are organic with metallic content like the performance pads. Anyone have any input? Will I actually have to do a detailed review?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Severum said:
The Magura rotor design is licensed from Galfer so need to change that. I am wondering about the pads though. They are organic with metallic content like the performance pads. Anyone have any input? Will I actually have to do a detailed review?
All Galfers are semi-metallic... that means they're a no-go on Magura brakes... or at least that's the official position from Magura.

I know people has been using Galfers on Maggies and I would like to know their opinions.

From an e-mail I got from Magura, asking about an alternative to Magura compounds, they said the problem is that semi-metallic pads can have too much metallic content in them causing overheating problems or seals failures. Not a nice escenario.

While it's stated on their website, they didn't mention the fact that using a different pad voids Magura Warranty. Not that they were approving, simply not pushing too much on it.

I know too, that Galfer use two compounds as of now... I just ignore what's the difference from one to the other... and I would like to know that too.

·
customized
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, not to argue, but Magura pads seem to be semi metallic to me. Just look at them. They call them organic due to the main compound, but they certainly have metal in them. Please correct me if I am wrong.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

That said, I called Galfer and asked them about their pad for the Louise. Their part number FD237G1054 uses their 1854 compound which is very similar to the Magura. It is an organic/ceramic compound with some metallic content. They said it was predominantly organic. I am going to be getting a pair in to try and I will take pictures and give all the details I can on here.

If you look on the Magura Cult page they say that according to Magura, using anything but thier pads will void the warranty. I could care less if it voids the warranty... I don't think that the galfer pads as described will hurt the calipers. Thay are marketed to run cooler.

The cool thing about Galfer pads is they are $16.99 from Galfer vs $25 from magura. If they work better and are safe to use, then why not use them?

·
customized
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Warp2003 said:
My Performance 4.1 Magura pads are semi-metallic. My front Koolstops are too. Semi-metallic gives a nice compromise between performance/durability in all weather.
I think tha you think the performance pads are semi-metallic? This post was from this thread.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=118931&highlight=organic+pads

Not being a jerk, just confused by your post. Can you help define what magura thinks is organic and semi-metallic?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Severum said:
Ok, not to argue, but Magura pads seem to be semi metallic to me. Just look at them. They call them organic due to the main compound, but they certainly have metal in them. Please correct me if I am wrong.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

That said, I called Galfer and asked them about their pad for the Louise. Their part number FD237G1054 uses their 1854 compound which is very similar to the Magura. It is an organic/ceramic compound with some metallic content. They said it was predominantly organic. I am going to be getting a pair in to try and I will take pictures and give all the details I can on here.

If you look on the Magura Cult page they say that according to Magura, using anything but thier pads will void the warranty. I could care less if it voids the warranty... I don't think that the galfer pads as described will hurt the calipers. Thay are marketed to run cooler.

The cool thing about Galfer pads is they are $16.99 from Galfer vs $25 from magura. If they work better and are safe to use, then why not use them?
I never meant to disagree with you ;)

Nice info, BTW. I needed badly some info about it. Any word on the Green/Red compounds?

Make a little search. Once I questioned the same, as I can clearly see the metal chips inside Magura Performance pads, and I got flamed like a Messerschmidt flying over Dover in 1942.

I can't argue with Magura homepage and CS rep's, but I agree with you.

I think it's a CYA issue and at least Galfers can be used...

I use Koolstops up front... semi-met. No issues, no fade, no weird sheit. Very similar performance to Magura Performance behaviour in all conditions. A bit more grabby, though.

Let us know your impressions.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Severum said:
I think tha you think the performance pads are semi-metallic? This post was from this thread.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=118931&highlight=organic+pads
Yes. I think they're semi-met but as I said, I can't argue with what is posted by Magura and what Magura CS has wrote.

Severum said:
Not being a jerk, just confused by your post. Can you help define what magura thinks is organic and semi-metallic?
No offense taken, bro! I'm in the VERY SAME bandwagon you're at.

I'd like to know how much metal content makes a pad "semi-metallic" or "organic" for Magura.

As said above, Performance compound looks very similar to what other Semi-Met pads like Hayes, Koolstop or EBC make. I'm confused too.

Check your PM Inbox in a while.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.