Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Louise FR brakes that I would like to change the rear over to 160 from 180, I don't like the look of the adapter on the rear. Can I just loss the adapter, mount the caliper directly to the frame and slide in a 160 rotor?

Also, this is on a new build.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is an IS mount, but I am not sure if the Louise Free Ride caliper is the same as the standard Louise or if they just through in the adapter. There isn't an adapter for the front.

I also have a call into Magura.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got a reply from Magura. The rear caliper is for a 160 rotor and the adapter is to be used with the 180 rotor. As said by someone earlier I can toss the adapter and use a 160 rotor.

The front does not need an adapter.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Pricing & availability & alternatives: 180 rotor with Marta

I want to put my front Marta (160 IS mount) caliper on a Manitou Postmount fork. Adapter # 3 should take care of that, along with changing to a 180 rotor. However, once I go to the the 180, I bet I won't want to go back, but I might want to go back to my current Fox Talas (IS mount, for 160 rotor). It looks like an adapter # 16 will fix that. (???) If so, I could leave the adapters on and swap the caliper back & forth.

2 questions: these are $25 to $29 each for these at Speedgoat. Anyone know of an alternative online source? There is no local Magura dealer.

I know there are some other brands (A2Z, Gatorback, and others). Would that be asking for trouble? It actually sounds like there is enough trouble without going to a different brand.

·
Do It Yourself
5,718 Posts
impatient said:
I want to put my front Marta (160 IS mount) caliper on a Manitou Postmount fork. Adapter # 3 should take care of that, along with changing to a 180 rotor. However, once I go to the the 180, I bet I won't want to go back, but I might want to go back to my current Fox Talas (IS mount, for 160 rotor). It looks like an adapter # 16 will fix that. (???) If so, I could leave the adapters on and swap the caliper back & forth.

2 questions: these are $25 to $29 each for these at Speedgoat. Anyone know of an alternative online source? There is no local Magura dealer.

I know there are some other brands (A2Z, Gatorback, and others). Would that be asking for trouble? It actually sounds like there is enough trouble without going to a different brand.
IS to PM options:

1. Get the #3 adapter and 180mm rotor.
2. Get a new PM caliper and stick with the 160mm.
3. Get a new PM brake set.

The website say the #13 is only for Louise (f or r) and Julie (r) only. You'll have to check with Magura to see why. You can order direct:

https://secure.magurausa.com/store/...ES&cat2=Disc+Brake+Calipers+and+Caliper+Parts

I have an extra Magura #3 adapter for when I initially opted for option 1 before switching to option 3 if you're interested. I came to the conclusion that if I'm using 180mm rotors and adapter with the Martas, I'm losing out on the lightweight benefits and better off with a direct mount Louise FR.

·
Super Moderator
20,745 Posts
impatient said:

You could also contact Chad @ Red Barn or Larry @ Mtn high Cyclery and they could order the parts for you at competitive prices...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.