Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
So is your face
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've had these brakes on my Ventana El Salt for around 6 or 7 months. And during that time, I've dealt with a high pitched whistling type squeal coming from the rear a lot of the time, and an intermittent howl from the front brake. I thought these brakes were reputed to be totally silent. That's sure not what I've found.

I have tried recentering, sanding, rebedding the pads, cleaning with denatured alcohol, and just recently switching out the sl rotors for the ventidisc ones. This recent switch has made the high pitched squeal noise constant and waay louder, and has increased the tendency for both front and rear to howl. And, yes I sanded the pads and bedded them in yet again for this switch. So, I guess Magura's assertion that the venti rotors are quieter isn't quite right. Also, I know the bleed is good, as both brakes have plenty of power, and the levers are nice and firm. And everything on the bike is torqued to spec, including the hubs.

I am at my wits end trying to figure these stupid things out and am ready to sell them off, and replace them with Formulas, which I have on my other bike, or maybe try some Hope M4s or X2s, whichever would have equivalent power to my K24s or these brakes. Does anyone have any suggestions for something I may have missed?

·
Registered
464 Posts
From Magura's own forum they say to check the spoke tension of both wheels, check that it is even as this could be a cause of squealing.
Another thing to do, if you haven't done so already, would be to get the disc tabs faced, your LBS should have the appropriate tool for the job, as this may correct any possible misalignment on the rear.

I have a set of them running 180mm SL rotors F&R on a Rocky Mountain SXC (Fox 36 up front) and they're silent.

·
So is your face
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DGB said:
From Magura's own forum they say to check the spoke tension of both wheels, check that it is even as this could be a cause of squealing.
Another thing to do, if you haven't done so already, would be to get the disc tabs faced, your LBS should have the appropriate tool for the job, as this may correct any possible misalignment on the rear.

I have a set of them running 180mm SL rotors F&R on a Rocky Mountain SXC (Fox 36 up front) and they're silent.
Thanks for the suggestions DGB. I went and checked the Magura forums and it seems that uneven spoke tension would cause vibration as well, though I'm not sure. My noise in the rear is mostly an incessant high pitch squeak, sort of mouse-like in tone. And the howl that I will get from the front sometimes (mostly in steep areas) and now on the rear (since ventidisc rotor install) is your standard disc brake howl.

I'll have the spoke tension checked. The tabs in the rear seem to be aligned as I have the caliper perfectly centered and get no rotor rub, but who knows they could be slightly off.

·
Ow!
775 Posts
CH, I feel your pain. I used Louise for a few years, and I had to deal with many problems. I think your calipers are PM. I had the IS calipers, so solutions may not be the same. For my noises, including vibration, I made certain that the pistons didn't stick or were "slow", After I "unstuck" the offending piston, quiet. I was amazed with the change the first time I did this. I also changed the rear rotor on one of my bikes from 7' to 6", and that almost eliminated any noise.

Did you contact Magura? I doubt they will have the answer, but you never know. They certainly tried to help me (to no avail though).

I made the change to Formula Megas. All was great until, of course, a sticky piston. I fixed that, and it was back to great.

·
wuss
2,379 Posts
celluloid hero said:
Ok, so I've had these brakes on my Ventana El Salt for around 6 or 7 months. And during that time, I've dealt with a high pitched whistling type squeal coming from the rear a lot of the time, and an intermittent howl from the front brake. I thought these brakes were reputed to be totally silent. That's sure not what I've found.

I have tried recentering, sanding, rebedding the pads, cleaning with denatured alcohol, and just recently switching out the sl rotors for the ventidisc ones. This recent switch has made the high pitched squeal noise constant and waay louder, and has increased the tendency for both front and rear to howl. And, yes I sanded the pads and bedded them in yet again for this switch. So, I guess Magura's assertion that the venti rotors are quieter isn't quite right. Also, I know the bleed is good, as both brakes have plenty of power, and the levers are nice and firm. And everything on the bike is torqued to spec, including the hubs.

I am at my wits end trying to figure these stupid things out and am ready to sell them off, and replace them with Formulas, which I have on my other bike, or maybe try some Hope M4s or X2s, whichever would have equivalent power to my K24s or these brakes. Does anyone have any suggestions for something I may have missed?
I swapped a pair of Magura Louises to Hope Mono M4's for no specific reason. The Hope's are a lot noisier then the Louises. They are not really more powerfull, and I think the Magura's might even have better modulation.

·
So is your face
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
clydecrash said:
CH, I feel your pain. I used Louise for a few years, and I had to deal with many problems. I think your calipers are PM. I had the IS calipers, so solutions may not be the same. For my noises, including vibration, I made certain that the pistons didn't stick or were "slow", After I "unstuck" the offending piston, quiet. I was amazed with the change the first time I did this. I also changed the rear rotor on one of my bikes from 7' to 6", and that almost eliminated any noise.

Did you contact Magura? I doubt they will have the answer, but you never know. They certainly tried to help me (to no avail though).

I made the change to Formula Megas. All was great until, of course, a sticky piston. I fixed that, and it was back to great.
All good suggestions Clyde. I'll check for stuck pistons again and see if that yields anything. That certainly could be a possibility. I contacted Magura awhile back and their suggestions were to sand and rebed the pads.

I've had Formula K24s on my other bike since the beginning of 07 and only ever had noise on the rear when I misread the torque specs for the King fun bolts on my rear wheel. Once that was sorted, totally silent. The front brake developed noise after the first year of use, but then I read the strangest fix (flip the quick release lever to the opposite side of the rotor) and after that it was silent again. On this bike I wanted to try something different. Maybe I should've stuck with Formula.

·
So is your face
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dropadrop said:
I swapped a pair of Magura Louises to Hope Mono M4's for no specific reason. The Hope's are a lot noisier then the Louises. They are not really more powerfull, and I think the Magura's might even have better modulation.
Good to know, drop. I keep reading things about the Hopes that are either the highest praise possible or that they can be finicky in the noise category. It's hard to know what to trust. I certainly like the looks of the brakes and what seems to be an easier bleeding system than other manufacturers have. But, certainly noise and lackluster power would be deal breakers. I definitely value silence and stopping force over looks and weight.

·
wuss
2,379 Posts
It's not that the M4's don't have power, I guess they are on par with the Louise. It's just that I can't think of anything they do better... :)

Also the Louise is very easy to set up. The M4's require setting up the caliper so it's straight, then getting the pads to extend equally. It's quite a hassle compared to the Louise (press brake, tighten caliper and ride).

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Hey -
You know, the Ventana rears are known to howl every once and again...I had that problem with my Mag Louises until they were properly faced.

Now, given that you are getting a squeak from the rear while there is no rubbing...that is very perplexing. WTF is making noise if there is no contact?

Anyways, I can say that my Mags have been kick ass after the initial issues were sorted...I am a bit surprised by your problems. Check your PMs in a few...

·
So is your face
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CharacterZero said:
Hey -
You know, the Ventana rears are known to howl every once and again...I had that problem with my Mag Louises until they were properly faced.

Now, given that you are getting a squeak from the rear while there is no rubbing...that is very perplexing. WTF is making noise if there is no contact?

Anyways, I can say that my Mags have been kick ass after the initial issues were sorted...I am a bit surprised by your problems. Check your PMs in a few...
Hey CZ, yeah I've seen the threads about the Ventana rears. It seems most of those are associated with howling and vibration, which luckily for me hasn't been the case.

It is wierd, because the things are perfectly centered with no rubbing whatsoever. And the noise from the rear is kind of wierd too. It's really high pitched, and now louder since I switched to the venti rotors. The front brake is the one that will give me your typical hooooooonk type howl on steepish decents.

Thanks for your pm. I'll let you know how that goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the exact same issue...

celluloid hero said:
Hey CZ, yeah I've seen the threads about the Ventana rears. It seems most of those are associated with howling and vibration, which luckily for me hasn't been the case.

It is wierd, because the things are perfectly centered with no rubbing whatsoever. And the noise from the rear is kind of wierd too. It's really high pitched, and now louder since I switched to the venti rotors. The front brake is the one that will give me your typical hooooooonk type howl on steepish decents.

Thanks for your pm. I'll let you know how that goes.
... with the rear brake (which also happens to be a Louise Carbon with Venti rotor). The front brake is fine (although it does "honk" in use, just as you describe).

As my issue is not constant, I suspect it's caused by the rear of my (full-suspension) frame flexing, especially given the high-pitched sound occurs almost exclusively with pedal stroke. I'm going to investigate further this weekend and plan to check whether all components (pivot, hub, spoke, etc) are tight.

·
So is your face
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mpvaughan said:
... with the rear brake (which also happens to be a Louise Carbon with Venti rotor). The front brake is fine (although it does "honk" in use, just as you describe).

As my issue is not constant, I suspect it's caused by the rear of my (full-suspension) frame flexing, especially given the high-pitched sound occurs almost exclusively with pedal stroke. I'm going to investigate further this weekend and plan to check whether all components (pivot, hub, spoke, etc) are tight.
Very interesting MPV. Let me know if you come up with any fixes this weekend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
celluloid hero said:
Very interesting MPV. Let me know if you come up with any fixes this weekend.
On inspection I could see that the calliper was not located centrally over the rotor and where the latter had been lightly rubbing on it as the rear end flexed with pedalling. I suspect it was this metal-on-metal contact that was producing the sound that was higher-pitched than that produced by the pads on the front rotor. I centred the calliper and couldn't reproduce the sound during a short test ride. Fingers crossed it's fixed...

·
So is your face
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update. I think I may have found a solution to my squeaking. In another thread highdelll posted about using powdered graphite on your rotors to quiet noise. Being that everything else checks out ok with my brakes, but the squeak remains, I decided to give it a go. I went to the art supply store near my house and bought a pretty good size container for 8 bucks. After my ride today, I went to my garage and poured some on a clean rag. I worked it into the rag fairly well, then just spun the brake rotor inside the rag. I went out to the street to test it, and no noise. Sweet, sweet quiet. The real test will be on my next ride midweek. But, so far it seems very promising. Fingers crossed. Thanks again for posting the suggestion online, highdelll!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I now the post it's kind of old, but I would like to know if the powdered graphite worked in the end.
If so, is the same graphite used to "lube" locks?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts