Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a pair of stainless steel crossover lines for my HS 33's. Problem is the stainless crossover line takes the one large hole in the slave cylinder. This means I have to press a barb fitting into the line that runs to my lever. WIth several unsuccessful attemps at attempting this does anyone offer a better way. I tried the vice/hammer way (as per instructions) but the barb either cam out of the side of the tubing or split it. Thanks if you can help.

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
i've had success with the hs33's by slighy opening the end of the line up with an object.(i had a pick that worked well).

Then placing it in the vise , put a little bit of mineral oil on the barb, then inserting the barb in. The key i've found is even pressure and holding the hose steady.

Hope that helps

·
Magurified
483 Posts
When I changed my hs22s to braided lines (same slave cylinder), the crossover hose had one small and one large fitting. The small one went into the cylinder where the large one came from the lever, and the large one went into the other cylinder and the bleed bolt went into the small hole on that cylinder.

·
Registered
135 Posts
usually you dont have to take the line apart but switch them around on the calipers ....
just like Isaac said...

If you do have to nail a barb fitting into the line , you can make yourself a line holder for the vice rather easy .. take two pieces of soft wood, file a half circle in them , now use one on each side of the tubing ... now u can hold the tubing in the vice firmly without crushing it ...

use a carpet knife to cut the tubing nice and square

thor

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Brakemeister said:
.........you can make yourself a line holder for the vice rather easy .. take two pieces of soft wood, file a half circle in them , now use one on each side of the tubing ... now u can hold the tubing in the vice firmly without crushing it ...
use a carpet knife to cut the tubing nice and square
thor
That's what I've got - two pieces of wood with grooves slightly shallower than the radius of the line. I leave a 1/2" sticking out and tap in with a plastic hammer. Never failed yet! I wonder where I got those tips from? :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.