Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,957 Posts
No, I believe there is a maximum play tolerance and I believe it’s something small like 2mm at the rotor. Check with magura. I had some cheap pinned hope “look-alike” rotors at one point and they were pretty bad for play. The magura will have a little play as I understand it.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,957 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

rotational play is normal. Even this play, according to magura its ok. Nevertheless, they replaced the disk in a form of good will.
I'm sorry I can't live with that. Braking down a steep descent I thought I had a loose headset. I wrote Magura and asked for a replacement but they didn't even respond. I spent $80 for a new one.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,957 Posts
I'm sorry I can't live with that. Braking down a steep descent I thought I had a loose headset. I wrote Magura and asked for a replacement but they didn't even respond. I spent $80 for a new one.
Yeah, it creates a knock any time you apply the brakes, which also destroys the suspension feel. Mine doesn't do this, but I'm very familiar with the effect. I'm probably going to try trp 2.3mm or the new thicker Hope rotors next in 220.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,957 Posts
I've used Hope floating rotors for years and never had this problem.
Yeah, like I mentioned earlier, I had it with some Chinese "knock off" Hope-style rotors.

·
Giant Reign Advanced 1
Giant Reign Advanced 0 2016
983 Posts
Same here: after few years of use my 203 mdr-p got the same issue with rivets.
Magura's answer:

MAGURA MDR-P rotors are 2-piece rotors with an aluminium inner ring and a outer friction ring made of steel, both being riveted together in a floating design. The friction ring is kept in position by rivets, but must be able to move relatively to the inner ring due to the floating concept. This movement, radially and in circumference direction, is limited by a special connection shape (Dovetail Interlink Technologie). Radial movement is caused by heat expansion and when cooling down. When braking, the movement in circumference direction of the outer ring is supported by the inner ring on that special shape. You can feel that movement when pushing the bike back and forth with pulled brake: the outer ring is then supported on both sides, left and right, on the special shape. With normal braking in normal riding direction the outer ring is just supported on one side towards the inner ring. This movement (radially and in circumference direction) on the MDR-P rotors is given by the design and is no defect as to quality in terms of warranty.
Obviously should there be a large amount of movement and or lost rivets, you can of course take it back to the shop whee you bought and have it returned for inspection and possible warranty.
In other words - no design flaw and that's my problem.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Update, my rotors are making a horrible metallic ringing sound when going down the trail while not breaking. It sound like the bike is about to come apart but I've isolated it to the rotor by dropping the front of the bike while holding the rotor to dampen them and the sound goes away. I can live the the rocking back and forth while holding the brake when stopped but this sound is unacceptable.

Anyone else have noisy rotors while rolling down the trail and off the brakes?

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
3,078 Posts
Update, my rotors are making a horrible metallic ringing sound when going down the trail while not breaking. It sound like the bike is about to come apart but I've isolated it to the rotor by dropping the front of the bike while holding the rotor to dampen them and the sound goes away. I can live the the rocking back and forth while holding the brake when stopped but this sound is unacceptable.

Anyone else have noisy rotors while rolling down the trail and off the brakes?
Could it be your metal to metal? check your pads. While I like the magnetic pad retention you need to keep a close watch on pad wear. The spring pad retainer (other brands) is nice as it starts to make noise before your pad is completely gone.

This happen to me, the 8.P on the rear went faster than expected and went from hero to zero fast. It toasted my MDR-P rotor even after trying to resurface it made a lot of noise.

I like the M7 feel, power and low amount of noise but they are proving to be a bit finicky and require some messing around.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Could it be your metal to metal? check your pads. While I like the magnetic pad retention you need to keep a close watch on pad wear. The spring pad retainer (other brands) is nice as it starts to make noise before your pad is completely gone.

This happen to me, the 8.P on the rear went faster than expected and went from hero to zero fast. It toasted my MDR-P rotor even after trying to resurface it made a lot of noise.

I like the M7 feel, power and low amount of noise but they are proving to be a bit finicky and require some messing around.
Pads have plenty material left. I just noticed if I grab the outer rotor, I can move it back and forth making the ringing sound. I can't do this with the rear rotor. Here is a clip showing the play and sound, it sounds worse than this when I'm on a trail.

Video link: MDR-P Noise

·
Registered
40 Posts
Pads have plenty material left. I just noticed if I grab the outer rotor, I can move it back and forth making the ringing sound. I can't do this with the rear rotor. Here is a clip showing the play and sound, it sounds worse than this when I'm on a trail.

Video link: MDR-P Noise
I had the same issue twice on the front brake. First time was almost 1000 km from new and requested a warranty replacement. Second time, took almost 3000km. Got ride of them and went with hope rotors.

Check the wear on your disk as it might be on the lower limit 1.8mm as per magura.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had the same issue twice on the front brake. First time was almost 1000 km from new and requested a warranty replacement. Second time, took almost 3000km. Got ride of them and went with hope rotors.

Check the wear on your disk as it might be on the lower limit 1.8mm as per magura.
Rotor is still in spec. I was looking at the Hope and Galfer as an alternative. I'm assuming you've had enough time on your Hope rotors to report that hey do not have similar issues? Do they squeal when they get hot? I have SRAM HS2s on another bike and like all my SRAM brakes they make make squeal/whining noises when they get really hot, where the Magura MDR-P does not.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Rotor is still in spec. I was looking at the Hope and Galfer as an alternative. I'm assuming you've had enough time on your Hope rotors to report that hey do not have similar issues? Do they squeal when they get hot? I have SRAM HS2s on another bike and like all my SRAM brakes they make make squeal/whining noises when they get really hot, where the Magura MDR-P does not.
Saints with sintered shimano pads (D02S) and hope floating rotors, on the rear everything is fine. On the front i have some noise until its working hot. I think brakes have a bit more power than the magura disks.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I had a similar experience when the Hope floating rotors when they first came out, although the play and noises weren't as bad. I would stay away from floating rotors because of the noises and they are not usually as true as non-floating rotors. This will often cause them to rub on your pads. I've seen some good reports on Hope floating rotors, but some people will just put their earphones in and ride through anything.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts