Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have two sets of old Magura brake levers. On both sets the left hand lever has the cable slot facing up. Is this the way they all came or do I have two sets that have had the left hand lever replaced with a right hand lever that has been flipped over?
The one on the DX was well used and I figured this is what had been done, but then this second set I just got looks pert near brand new and it is the same way?

Um, nevermind, I just did a search in the VRC archives and answered my own question (or actually CK answered it). The archives here at VRC are a wonderful resource.....

At least you know I don't ride motorcycles...
Cheers,
T

·
Bird watcher
878 Posts
After typing this I noticed you edited your question. To help in the future, since these threads don't get deleted and for anyone else who searches and finds this thread, Please link to the info you found or answer it!!!

Since no one else is going to answer you. The reason it is this way is that being originally designed for a motorcycle, the left lever was actually designed to pull a clutch. The clutch lever on these sets were longer than the front brake lever for leverage. To make a matching set for bicycles they used two right brake levers with the original perches.

·
Retro on Steroids
2,997 Posts
ckevlar said:
To make a matching set for bicycles they used two right brake levers with the original perches.
Or... just made a long set and a short set out of two. Magura didn't ship the lever arms separately, but through some amazing good fortune they accepted our application to be an OEM supplier so we got them at prices lower than wholesale. We seemed to be the only source in the bicycle world.

I have to say, with a cheap supply of those great and desirable levers, we may have...abused their trust slightly, by retailing them out the front door as well as putting them on new bikes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.