Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Maybe this has come up before but I couldn't find anything with a quick search.

TLDR: If your Magura brake levers rattle around and can move away from the bars, tough sh..

Brand new Magura MT Pro brakes, completely unridden and fresh out of the box then hoses cut and bled and I notice this:

The lever on one brake can move away from the bars. The lever does come back to position but it also now rattles around and is really annoying. I would rather my brand new brake levers didn't flop around and rattle.

The reason is that a small metal tab which acts as a stopper has sheared off. The good lever has a small metal section which overhangs the black lever blade to stop it extending away from the bar. It is hard to see in a picture but the other lever has that section snapped off. It isn't rotated or incorrectly fitted as you can see sheared off, broken metal.

Yes the stickers are removed as they look gaudy but I don't think me peeling them off broke the lever ;) :)

I have contacted Magura and they have said a wide range of things:

That part is designed to brake away in a crash to protect the rest of the unit.
Brake is fully functional if there is no other damage.
"Unfortunately, we cannot clarify the reasons that led to this cracked stopper. In any case, this does not represent a warranty defect or quality problem".
The tab is a part for the manufacturing process and assembly lines and doesn't affect brake function (a new explanation when I pressed further)
"The required force to break away this part is not very high. The lever blade is designed to return always to it´s initial position, even with the part broken away. Please note, a new purchased lever blade with this part will have a very similar behaviour."

My opinion is there is a quality problem if a crash damage limiting part can snap in the box or at a random time.
I also only bring this up because the lever now rattles around and is damned annoying on an otherwise silent bike. Stopping the lever flopping around seems like a pretty functional part to me of this stopper tab.
Also it is pretty shitty that they aren't interested in helping and don't even recommend I buy myself a new lever as they expect it to happen again at some random time as it is so fragile. That also explains the refusal to warranty as they clearly know it will just happen again.

I've talked to the LBS and they have never seen a Magura lever move both ways so feel it shouldn't be seen as normal. A poll of Magura riders locally ranges from "my brakes did that from new and I didn't notice" to "I've ridden these for years and they are rock solid".

I just thought I would share as if the rattling around bothers you on some brand new Magura lever then the solution seems to be either live with it or replace them with something else.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
a) Suck it up and live with a rattly lever
b) Try to work with the shop to get the brake exchanged or refunded. Exchanged sounds like the problem will keep coming back. Refunded might be tough if Magura claim it is still fit for purpose. I’d also still have one other brake I’d be stuck with.
c) Sell them on and buy Shimano. Every time I have deviated from Shimano I have been let down by other brands so this is sounding good.
d) Buy some Shimano levers and try the Shigura thing. Tempting

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Talking to myself a bit here... :)

... but does anyone know if any of the other brake lever Magura sell are more robust in this stopper tab area? One finger carbon levers or the hc3 maybe?

·
Registered
317 Posts
One of my MT7 levers came like that also at the beginning of the year and Magura sent a replacement. I have since replaced both MT7 levers with the aluminum version of the Loic Bruni model. I did not buy the new levers in the States, way over priced, paid half buying them from Germany with some other items (Magura pads for 1/3 the price from what they are here) to help ease the shipping cost.

I have crashed and already broken the tab off one of the new levers as well, and once in a while the reataining spring that returns the lever pops out and I have to reseat it and stop it from flopping around. Neither lever rattled when the tab broke though...

·
Advanced Slacker
15,801 Posts
Talking to myself a bit here... :)

... but does anyone know if any of the other brake lever Magura sell are more robust in this stopper tab area? One finger carbon levers or the hc3 maybe?
I think for the price of a single sh!tty plastic Magura lever you can get yourself a pair of Shimano levers.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Sucks the company did not back their product here. I would hate seeing the brand on my bike after being told "tough sh."

My experience with Shimano USA warranty was amazing. During peak covid they answered their phones and had a replacement brifter to me within days. Did not go through a dealer either.

My vote is option C.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I was a bit surprised they didn't offer to replace the lever as people had said Magura customer service was pretty good, but then the open admission that any replacement would do the same thing sooner or later explains that. A bad design that half of people get annoyed about and the other half never notice probably.

If anyone else is wondering, apparently the hc3 lever is the only lever which does not have this breakaway tab so that could be an option.

·
Registered
Fully & eMTB fully & XC HT
78 Posts
I had the same with the MT7 raceline. Contacted Magura same respons. Few weeks later the feather broke. After the bad service of Magura Netherlands I decided to install Shimano XTR levers. No more problems with air leaks etc….

Tip: throw the levers in the trashcan and go for Shigura ;-)

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have the carbotecture mt30's. They move out a bit more than your good lever but not all the way like your bad lever does. Doesn't rattle, though the carbotecture levers might mask/dampen any rattling noises unlike the aluminum levers.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I know this has been talked about in other threads, just wondering what you shigura guys think about any changes in modulation and or outright power. One thing I like about magura levers is they are long so you do get better leverage compared to shimano. I've owned a bunch of shimano brakes over the years. I had my share of lever issues with shimano too. The wandering bite issue brought me to magura, but after years with magura I've had more than one leaky lever. Not sure if mixing two brakes I've had issues with is the answer but I might give it a try?

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,512 Posts
d) Buy some Shimano levers and try the Shigura thing. Tempting
Shigura time
+1 for the Shigura treatment. Air leaks, loss of pressure with altitude changes, difficulty in bleeding all solved with Saint levers.

Unbelievably awesome braking now.
So much this. I Franken-braked some MT6 calipers to some M7100 SLX levers on my singlespeed and couldn't be happier.

If I wasn't so weird about 'brand consistency' I'd do this on my 160mm enduro bike, but everything on it is SRAM and I kinda like the "no Shimano thing", even though I have nothing against Shimano. I bet some 4-pot Magura calipers with XT or Zee levers would be money.

Riding my two bikes back-to-back, I frequently think the 2-pot Shiguras have more raw 'drop anchor' stopping power than my 4-pot TRP Slate brakes on my FS.

·
Premium Member
8,722 Posts
This is sad to hear. I have used Magura for years and the few times I had an issue, their support was top notch. Sounds like that has changed.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
So much this. I Franken-braked some MT6 calipers to some M7100 SLX levers on my singlespeed and couldn't be happier.

If I wasn't so weird about 'brand consistency' I'd do this on my 160mm enduro bike, but everything on it is SRAM and I kinda like the "no Shimano thing", even though I have nothing against Shimano. I bet some 4-pot Magura calipers with XT or Zee levers would be money.

Riding my two bikes back-to-back, I frequently think the 2-pot Shiguras have more raw 'drop anchor' stopping power than my 4-pot TRP Slate brakes on my FS.
Im currently using Zee levers paired to MT5 calipers and i can't get them to where they feel consistently good. Do you have any tips? I used magura's royal blood to bleed, so figured it would be ok...

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
This is sad to hear. I have used Magura for years and the few times I had an issue, their support was top notch. Sounds like that has changed.
They've sent me levers without going through a shop or with any pushback other than saying "odd you have another leaky lever, and are you using magura oil" I've warrantied 3 levers over leaking. I would have moved on a while ago if they didn't keep sending levers. I keep telling myself I'm going to run shimano levers but then I look are what it will cost me vs a free lever. I also prefer magura levers over shimano when talking about feel/performance. I was reading one youtube review of shigura's where the guy first raved then in the comments later talked about having leaking issues at the olive. He did use shimano barb and olive, magura hose I believe. I've also read one review were the guy said modulation wasn't nearly as good. I'm not sold as of now. Seems like the modulation would come more from the lever than the caliper so it's hard for me to see modulation not leaning more shimano, than magura. . Shimano modulation is a joke, while magura is about as good as it gets. Better than Hope IMO which many say have the best modulation on the market.

·
Premium Member
8,722 Posts
They've sent me levers without going through a shop or with any pushback other than saying "odd you have another leaky lever, and are you using magura oil" I've warrantied 3 levers over leaking. I would have moved on a while ago if they didn't keep sending levers. I keep telling myself I'm going to run shimano levers but then I look are what it will cost me vs a free lever. I also prefer magura levers over shimano when talking about feel/performance. I was reading one youtube review of shigura's where the guy first raved then in the comments later talked about having leaking issues at the olive. He did use shimano barb and olive, magura hose I believe. I've also read one review were the guy said modulation wasn't nearly as good. I'm not sold as of now. Seems like the modulation would come more from the lever than the caliper so it's hard for me to see modulation not leaning more shimano, than magura. . Shimano modulation is a joke, while magura is about as good as it gets. Better than Hope IMO which many say have the best modulation on the market.
I run Maguras on all my bikes, but do agree they are a bit touchy. They are well modulated, but need a lot less pressure on the levers than many other brakes. I have found the Storm SL rotors get rid of the touchy, provide plenty of heat dissipation, and modulate even better than the standard storm rotors. Unfortunately they no longer make the SL rotors in the 203. I am going to try the Galfer rotors which appear between the storm and storm sl in terms of surface area (Galfer is the manufacture of Magura rotors).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.