Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Magua cult Magura Clara woes

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  frogstar 
#1 ·
I forgot to read the reviews here and got burned with a pair of magura clara's, the 2000 model that used a plastic lever housing.

The bad reviews plus the fact that I have re bled them 6 times and that they still leak air makes me think the lever is a write off.

I have a pair of magura louise 2001 that are great, and they use the alloy lever.

Would the clara work if I replaced the lever? Who should I contact at magura USA?

Also I have a bunch of HS33 stuff to trade master/slave cylingers evo adaptors etc. If anyone has a lousie lever to trade we could work something out.

#3 ·
Squirrel said:
I forgot to read the reviews here and got burned with a pair of magura clara's, the 2000 model that used a plastic lever housing.

The bad reviews plus the fact that I have re bled them 6 times and that they still leak air makes me think the lever is a write off.

I have a pair of magura louise 2001 that are great, and they use the alloy lever.

Would the clara work if I replaced the lever? Who should I contact at magura USA?

Also I have a bunch of HS33 stuff to trade master/slave cylingers evo adaptors etc. If anyone has a lousie lever to trade we could work something out.
I had the same issue with my first disk brakes - the 2001 Clara. They constantly leaked air in the master piston. I contacted Magura (in Germany as I live in Norway) and they sent me the newer (alloy) master/lever assembly free of charge. They did not even ask for the old one in return. The original (plastic) lever assembly broke in a small crash, and the new alloy assembly mounted on the right hand side broke when the bike fell sideways onto the ground! I got hold of a pair of cheap Louise 2002 levers, and it worked OK. Have moved on through Avid mecs, Hayes and Avid Juicy 7 since.

- Fx

#4 ·
Sounds like you might have a problem with the master piston seal, I would contact them. If you bought them new, they'll take care of you on warrenttee, they have great CS.

I'm still running some Clara's, the black plastic masters were problematic, the silver version (still plastic) worked great. You can replace them with the Louise masters if you want.

#5 ·
itsdoable said:
Sounds like you might have a problem with the master piston seal, I would contact them. If you bought them new, they'll take care of you on warrenttee, they have great CS.

I'm still running some Clara's, the black plastic masters were problematic, the silver version (still plastic) worked great. You can replace them with the Louise masters if you want.
Yes, the CS i great - but the Maggies have proven themselves to be far to fragile for my use. Unfortunately Magura does not have a 5 year breakage-warranty :p

- Fx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.