Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my ass reamed by some canadien dude trying to sell me a bike on pinkbike. He told me he was an "exclusive dealer" and the bike was still boxed up. Then he emails pics with the bike built up in front of an old house. So far sounding pretty sketchy, right? So I low-ball him under cost for the bike and he rejects it. But gives me a pretty good deal and after a few more emails seems to have a legit story. In the last email, he tells me where he gets the bikes that he sells online (note: this was in the reply to my questioning his legitimacy and if he could give me any other ways to show he was cool). So, I, not wanting to get boned out of $4,000 (yeah, this is a nice bike), called this joint to see if the guy really bought this bike there and if they knew him to a nice guy/kid. It turns out he works there. Needless to say he wrote back call me every name in the book and said he almost got fired. I feel like a jerk, but wouldn't anyone do the same background check to make sure of a legit $4,000 deal? I should have prefaced this with the fact that I lost $2,000 to some jerk a couple years ago, so I'm a little gun shy of large internet purchases. But still, did I do the wrong thing? Please let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
twistagrip said:
I just got my ass reamed by some canadien dude trying to sell me a bike on pinkbike. He told me he was an "exclusive dealer" and the bike was still boxed up. Then he emails pics with the bike built up in front of an old house. So far sounding pretty sketchy, right? So I low-ball him under cost for the bike and he rejects it. But gives me a pretty good deal and after a few more emails seems to have a legit story. In the last email, he tells me where he gets the bikes that he sells online (note: this was in the reply to my questioning his legitimacy and if he could give me any other ways to show he was cool). So, I, not wanting to get boned out of $4,000 (yeah, this is a nice bike), called this joint to see if the guy really bought this bike there and if they knew him to a nice guy/kid. It turns out he works there. Needless to say he wrote back call me every name in the book and said he almost got fired. I feel like a jerk, but wouldn't anyone do the same background check to make sure of a legit $4,000 deal? I should have prefaced this with the fact that I lost $2,000 to some jerk a couple years ago, so I'm a little gun shy of large internet purchases. But still, did I do the wrong thing? Please let me know.
no u had all the right in the world to question him, ur the buyer, its your money, ur job to do everything u can to not get scammed. No reason for him to throw any f-bombs.
 

·
I do small drops.
Joined
·
215 Posts
He should have let you know that he worked there ahead of time, but you didn't do anything wrong. I always demand a number where I can speak to an actual person, maybe he should have given you his instead of his boss? Oh well, hope you got the bike!
 

·
Can Tree Member
Joined
·
847 Posts
The seller is totally wrong and got caught...

...so he blames you. Classic denial...hopefully he will grow up--there are a lot dudes rotting away in jail because they never learned to take responsibilty for their actions.

Let's see...he posted a transaction, you expressed concern (not wanting to be fleeced or buy stolen merchandise). So he gives you a reference. And then gets pissed when you check it? And then, when he gets busted doing something wrong, he tries to avoid accepting responsibilty by blaming you?

This guy sounds like he's a few cogs short of a full cassette, if you know what I mean.

Maybe, just maybe, if he had been upfront with you about his supply, and asked you to "trust him" and not check out the story, he would have some beef with you. Honor among theives, or some such [email protected] But you did nothing wrong.

If he calls again, just hang up on the @sshole. What's he going to do...come down from Canada and beat you up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
Dad Man Walking said:
...so he blames you. Classic denial...hopefully he will grow up--there are a lot dudes rotting away in jail because they never learned to take responsibilty for their actions.

Let's see...he posted a transaction, you expressed concern (not wanting to be fleeced or buy stolen merchandise). So he gives you a reference. And then gets pissed when you check it? And then, when he gets busted doing something wrong, he tries to avoid accepting responsibilty by blaming you?

This guy sounds like he's a few cogs short of a full cassette, if you know what I mean.

Maybe, just maybe, if he had been upfront with you about his supply, and asked you to "trust him" and not check out the story, he would have some beef with you. Honor among theives, or some such [email protected] But you did nothing wrong.

If he calls again, just hang up on the @sshole. What's he going to do...come down from Canada and beat you up?
you know...instead of hangin up, i think id have a little fun with him, just listen to how much sh!t he talks and then put in your 2 cents on the topic. Should make for an interesting 10min
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,010 Posts
Dude...you are missing the point......it is $4000.00 dollars...yeah $4,000.00
hello McFly....I am not buying anything for $4,000.00. Unless I am abosutely sure, if he lives within 500 miles I would drive and meet him.....sorry i think you did the right thing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
Dude...you are missing the point......it is $4000.00 dollars...yeah $4,000.00
hello McFly....I am not buying anything for $4,000.00. Unless I am abosutely sure, if he lives within 500 miles I would drive and meet him.....sorry i think you did the right thing
500mi is quite the drive.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top