Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would this be possible...to have a fork that uses magnetic repulsion for shock absorbancy....being able to space the magenets further for less rebound....etc.....would be virtually maintanence free...just a thought.....

...and no i am not on drugs.

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
Probably possible but I imagine to generate enough flux you would need to use rare earth magnets that are very heavy. Also the shock on the unsprung side may demagnatise it over time.

Stu

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, I've taken a bit of physics in high school--and that is not really a good idea. First, you would need some really strong friggin magnets unless. That is, unless you had the bright idea of making them electromagnets (actually, that would just be really heavy and charging your fork would be a royal pain). Oh yeah, and did I mention that magnetic force is not linear like a spring? I kinda like my bike parts to be as simple as possible so I don't have to be charging, fixing, maintaining stuff all the time.

That being said, I think that's a really cool idea and I would love to see a prototype magnetic suspension!

·
Registered
53 Posts
The magnetic controlled suspension can be I great idea, but I think that there is none magnet powerful enought to this.

I would try to use 2 concentric eloctromagnets and control the movement of one of them inside the other using electric control.

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
Rather then using magnets as suspension, what about if we use them for dampening instead??

http://www.lord.com/

http://www.lord.com/Default.aspx?tabid=718

http://literature.lord.com/root/videos/rheonetic/fluiddemo.mpg

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=6785&highlight=rheomagnetic

Do a search here and on google for "rehomagnetic fluid".

Basically you could use normal methods to provide the "spring" (be it coil or air) and then use rehomagnetic fluid in combination with an electronic control system to provide dampening.

Cheers, Dave

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
You would need to carry a very powerful electric supply to give the magnets the strength they need.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Check it...

http://www.bose.com/controller;jsessionid=C42KXh6Tm8pklLYN8WrJV7lKy9x6kTJw2s1Bt2Qvhwv31ZQvDHK4!708172928!1564217934?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_EVENT&url=/learning/project_sound/bose_suspension.jsp&pageName=/automotive/innovations/index.jsp

·
Registered
168 Posts
Um...nobody seems to have mentioned that with magnets that strong, you'll have a lot of trouble removing the bike from the roof of your car, and you'll probably pick up all kinds of small random metal objects as you ride. Rheomagnetic damping doesn't seem like too fantastic of an idea for bikes either since it requires a computer, which therefore requires power. The damper needs power too. Maybe this could be driven off of a dynohub sort of deal, but that would just be a big waste of your energy.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Kennetht638 said:
Um...nobody seems to have mentioned that with magnets that strong, you'll have a lot of trouble removing the bike from the roof of your car, and you'll probably pick up all kinds of small random metal objects as you ride. Rheomagnetic damping doesn't seem like too fantastic of an idea for bikes either since it requires a computer, which therefore requires power. The damper needs power too. Maybe this could be driven off of a dynohub sort of deal, but that would just be a big waste of your energy.
You're right. I would go for a CPU controlled variable damper a la K2 Smart Shock. I think the idea has some potential but needs a better implementation than K2 did back then.

OTOH... we bikers don't like electric controlled stuff on the bike... we hardly trust mechanical systems.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Interesting the bose suspension system, I think it can be the future in cars. After it succeed in cars and a lot of developement (to make it lighter,...) it could also succeed in bicycles.

I think that the suspension could be the energy suply of himself. Every suspension dampening absorbs energy, a magnetic suspension could absorb this energy generating electricicty, just the electricity it needs to function.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
There was a recent article in cycle world or something that was about putting that suspension system on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah, and I designed a perpetual motion device that will change the world.

J/K. There is such a thing of what you are asking, but it would require a large DC power supply. Too large for any practical use on a bicycle. Also, the fluid you are thinking about using in your suspension would have to be as dense as Mercury, and that [email protected]# is heavy.

Good luck though, let us know how it works.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Driven by the alternator no doubt ...

bmadau said:
There was a recent article in cycle world or something that was about putting that suspension system on a motorcycle.
OK, think about how heavy you are. Now think about how many paper clips those little magnet you have lift. If its on a motorcyle, they are using a power-plant to drive an eltro-magnetic system. And I'd dare say it's probably computer controlled so that you can have an infinitely adjustable suspension system.

You should file this one away in the same bin as airless tires, cvt transmissions and shaft drive. All these things have proper applications. Those application just aren't appropriate for bicycles.

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
stanfordnerd said:
Yeah, I've taken a bit of physics in high school--and that is not really a good idea. First, you would need some really strong friggin magnets unless. That is, unless you had the bright idea of making them electromagnets (actually, that would just be really heavy and charging your fork would be a royal pain). Oh yeah, and did I mention that magnetic force is not linear like a spring? I kinda like my bike parts to be as simple as possible so I don't have to be charging, fixing, maintaining stuff all the time.

That being said, I think that's a really cool idea and I would love to see a prototype magnetic suspension!
All I have to say is nice avatar. MatLab is either my best friend or worst enemy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
research is going on with magnetic hydrolic fluid

As a mechanical engineering student here in chicago there is research going on with clutches containing this fluid. delphi put shocks with the electohydrolic fluid in it. i can vouch that a 2005 STS will not lean at high cornering speeds (not recomended for people to try and if you do make sure back seat passengers are buckled up, the are prone to slide very quickly across seat) also in an interview with the VP of engineering at Sram i was basically told that the idea of magnets is a waste of time and that valving is much more useful. next year i will be doing a year of research in nanocarbon tubes most likely the arrangement of them(if anyone really cares).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.