Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I am currently working on a MagLite head with triple R2's and a Rocket3 optic. But I need some good ideas for a mount. It should preferably be at visual match for the Mag head and also pretty easy to remove light from bike.

I am fairly capable in the tools section, althoug I do not have a CNC, lathe etc :)

Best regards, Morten

·
mtbr member
890 Posts
If you are using a C-cell Mag, then you can use a 30mm scope mount (I used a cheap cantilever mount from Ebay), but it will need to be filed down to fit the slightly larger diameter of the Mag body. I then used part of the corresponding "RIS" rail mounted to a Night Rider light mount.

This is how it looks (this does not show the night rider mount):

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
HuffyPuffy said:
If you are using a C-cell Mag, then you can use a 30mm scope mount (I used a cheap cantilever mount from Ebay), but it will need to be filed down to fit the slightly larger diameter of the Mag body. I then used part of the corresponding "RIS" rail mounted to a Night Rider light mount.

This is how it looks (this does not show the night rider mount):

that is slick. Nice work. Any details on what you put into the mag light and where you got the parts?

·
mtbr member
890 Posts
I have forgotten all the parts used, but it has 4 Cree Q5's and a 1000mA buckpuck (3023-D-E-1000) with an external pot to dim it. The optic is from DX, it is this one I think:

https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1915

I also used one of the DX glow in the dark switch membranes with a small blue led behind it (the button is actually a knob). The LED is just wired in parallel with a resistor to the battery so it comes on whenever it is plugged in (makes it easy to find when it is off). I just filled the switch membrane with clear silicone and mashed it down on the post of a pot, when it dried it was hard enough to use as a knob.

I forgot to mention that the heat sink I used was this one:

https://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_56_73&products_id=911

I would not however recommend it since it is too hard to put the emitters on it, and sits too low for the optic. It would be better to use LED's on stars and mount them to a chunk of aluminum round stock cut down to size with a hole in the middle like this:

Sorry MoMaTo, I am done hijacking your thread;)

·
Registered
520 Posts
I too am looking for ideas for bar mountings. My helmet mount idea has worked out in an awesomely functional way in that it also has a break-away feature in case you were to run into a branch. I used piano wire which is tougher than anything of its gage and doesn't bend easily, the same stuff the RC model airplane guys use on their landing gear. You squeeze the two ends together and it just pushes, with some force, into the two holes and it won't come out on it's own. You need to pull it with a good bit of force to remove it.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I cut the handle down to nothing I cannot use the scope-mount idea. I ordered a Night-pro mount (due to the quick release) and I think I will file something from raw aluminium that bolts directly to the mag head (there is plenty of material there to tab some M4 holes). Will post when I get it done :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts