Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Magicshine Issues?

21 - 40 of 167 Posts

·
It ain't easy being Green
1,208 Posts
Erm... Magicshine doesn't interfere with my Polar 725... You're just like JohnJo, when your arguments are discredited you find something else to complain about.

Neither of you are exactly neutral anyways...

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
sdcadbiker said:
Erm... Magicshine doesn't interfere with my Polar 725... You're just like JohnJo, when your arguments are discredited you find something else to complain about.

Neither of you are exactly neutral anyways...
:rolleyes:

Let's see, I get whacked when I asked about Lupine's marketing and saying that unless they come out with something better their prices will decline in the face of competition from the low end - like MS.

Then I get whacked when I question MS's reliability, marketing, and unsubstantiated comments.

Hmm.

So where exactly am I biased?

J.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
JohnJ80 said:

Let's see, I get whacked when I asked about Lupine's marketing and saying that unless they come out with something better their prices will decline in the face of competition from the low end - like MS.

Then I get whacked when I question MS's reliability, marketing, and unsubstantiated comments.

J.
I guess that settles it, you are wacked. ;)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
CrashedAgain said:
VaskaS-I just received a MagicShine. I usually wear a Polar heart monitor. Can you describe the interference symptoms and I will watch for this on my next night ride.
For what it's worth, I have problems with my garmin 705 if I get it too close to my lights. I think the switching circuitry in the light control interferes with the GPS reception. If i move it away from the light, then no problem.

J.

·
SoCal mtbr
332 Posts
So far no problems and when I thought I had a problem (ended up being user error...charger plugged into wall socket that was connected to a light switch that was turned off! DOH!!!) Geoman was there to offer assistance right away. I think Geoman's c/s makes this light an even greater value! You would normally only get that kind of service from high end products. It's nice to buy an item at a great price and still get great support. I think that's what really made this light such a huge success. :thumbsup: I have converted 8 friends to Magicshine owner (all bought from Geoman!) and 3 of them already have high end lights from Nightrider, Cygolite but still couldnt' resist the great value of this light.

·
Registered
302 Posts
VaskaS said:
I'm not going to argue about the point that MS is nowdays the best choice for an average cyclist, but there are at least two reasons why I wouldn't buy one FOR MYSELF:
1 MS intereferes with my POLAR HRM (it really does).
2 I'm a headlamp manufacturer, and in case I'd wish to have a bar light I'll just pick one of my lights and instead of headgear attach it to a bar clamp :)
Taking into account the fact that my clients are mostly XC-skiers, rogainers and orienteering sportsmen who train and compete using HRM, I doubt if anyone of them should use MS wihtout refashioning.
Assuming you're a rogainer by the picture - any results? New pics to compare to the old one?

If you use a Polar HRM, do you use the "220 - age" etc. equation for fitness reference? I would like to know where 220 came from.

Now on the kinder side, you're saying that you'd be "able to make a more bright, handy and reliable light, weighing less and all for the same amount of money " but unfortunately you're too busy w/ local biz. Hmmmm, how about outsourcing it to China? Otherwise goodluck competing w/ them. I says, If this super VaskaS lighting system don't materialize by next summer then you're just full of shyts - pls prove me wrong on that! please.....

I'm serious....

·
It ain't easy being Green
1,208 Posts
JohnJ80 said:

So where exactly am I biased?

J.
You can roll your eyes til you're blue in the face but you will still be baised. Both you and Vaska are seeing MS eating into your potential market. You are both obviously experienced DIY'ers and entitled to your opinion but comments from both of you have to be viewed through this filter.

By talking down this product in these forums are you not as guilty as you claim Geoman to be? :nono:

DMD.

·
ride for fun
414 Posts
I used mine for the first time tonight, im very happy with it so far! was very bright, even brighter than one of my friends HID lights(dont remember what kind). Was brighter than my friends minewts also. Battery lasted the whole ride....no issues, it just worked.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
nick d said:
I used mine for the first time tonight, im very happy with it so far! was very bright, even brighter than one of my friends HID lights(dont remember what kind). Was brighter than my friends minewts also. Battery lasted the whole ride....no issues, it just worked.
I used mine for the first time tonight. One on bars, and one on helmet. No previous experience to compare it to, so i can just say that it was a very enjoyable ride. It was brighter than most other lights on the ride, my friends with lights were impressed, and it sounds like there will be several orders from boise in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rode with one handlebar mount this week,On high the battery lasted 2 hours 10 minutes before going red. After turning red I went to medium mode. and rode back with no issues. I also had my L&M arc as a helmet light. They made a good combo because the Arc reaches out down the trail and the MS lights up what's in front of you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow! Just look at those poll numbers!!!!

110 with no problems
1 light failed
3 batteries failed
4 Haters

It's amazing that people can bash this light for the price-point and rider it is targeted at.

To those haters, I guess I'm just curious if you have to buy the very best of every purchase you've ever made regardless of the final cost and performance gains. Is every single component on your bike of the XTR/X-0/etc line? Do people who run a LX front derailleur need to be kept off the trails and do you need to constantly remind them that your front derailleur is better and you wouldn’t be caught dead with that garbage on your bike?

It's baffling to me as to why such a product, on its way to proving what a tremendous value it really is, can be loved by the masses and hated by only a few. I too have read most of these posts to the point I’ve wanted to scratch my eyes out. And after filtering through the ridiculous amount of data, comparisons and specifications I still come to the conclusion that my MS may be my best bike related purchase of the entire year!

I don’t think I’ve quite read every single one of GeoMan’s posts, but from what I’ve read he’s more than earned my respect and business. To those who come on here and tell us why MS are garbage and how they can build it better, go ahead and build it better, but after reading how you feel the need to slam others for their product I certainly won’t be buying anything from you.

FWIW, if I was making a competitive product and was testing the MS and my HRM started acting funny, I would put two fingers on my wrist and manually double check that elevated heart rate before you go blaming the HRM. It’s a natural reaction, my heart rate increased too when I first turned on the MS!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought 14 of these for my friends and I. Probably about 70 plus rides on them between us. Not one single even minor problem. I've "sold" at least another 10 to other people who have seen ours on the trails here in Victoria BC and then bought some of their own. I don't really understand why someone would buy anything else, and I've owned several Niterider, Lupine and Cygolite products over the last 25 years.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I second the above post. It looks like most of the MS critics also own a more expensive lighting system w/c should really be better. You get what you pay for, eh! The MS works and is very AFFORDABLE for most bikers......c'mon how bright can you go w/out offending other trail users, wildlife included?

·
ride for fun
414 Posts
wingnuts73 said:
Wow! Just look at those poll numbers!!!!

110 with no problems
1 light failed
3 batteries failed
4 Haters

It's amazing that people can bash this light for the price-point and rider it is targeted at.

To those haters, I guess I'm just curious if you have to buy the very best of every purchase you've ever made regardless of the final cost and performance gains. Is every single component on your bike of the XTR/X-0/etc line? Do people who run a LX front derailleur need to be kept off the trails and do you need to constantly remind them that your front derailleur is better and you wouldn't be caught dead with that garbage on your bike?

It's baffling to me as to why such a product, on its way to proving what a tremendous value it really is, can be loved by the masses and hated by only a few. I too have read most of these posts to the point I've wanted to scratch my eyes out. And after filtering through the ridiculous amount of data, comparisons and specifications I still come to the conclusion that my MS may be my best bike related purchase of the entire year!

I don't think I've quite read every single one of GeoMan's posts, but from what I've read he's more than earned my respect and business. To those who come on here and tell us why MS are garbage and how they can build it better, go ahead and build it better, but after reading how you feel the need to slam others for their product I certainly won't be buying anything from you.

FWIW, if I was making a competitive product and was testing the MS and my HRM started acting funny, I would put two fingers on my wrist and manually double check that elevated heart rate before you go blaming the HRM. It's a natural reaction, my heart rate increased too when I first turned on the MS!
couldnt have said it better myself!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm one w/ both expensive lights (DiNotte 800L/400L) and the MS.

I've not chimed in yet on the poll as I've only had the MS for a month.

To date, it has performed w/o any problems. The batteries run time is less than a month ago due to the cold but this is the case w/ most batteries.

The MS is not as bright as the 800L and the beam is not as good. It is brighter than the 400L but not by a lot. I would guess the MS to be somewhere between 500-550 lumens.

All in all, a steal for $85.00

I'll chime in the poll after 6 mos of use.

The DiNottes have been flawless. A little over a year old.

MB

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
mb323323 said:
400L but not by a lot. I would guess the MS to be somewhere between 500-550 lumens.

MB
Very good estimation.

Someone posted some data from a German site where a fellow used an integrating sphere to study lights and got a number of 550 lumens for the MS, He compared it to a $400 Lupine Tesla 4 with output of 600 lumens. The spec on the lupine was 700 lumens.

I think 550 is great myself. With light and the eye response, we are dealing with a log scale so 550 compared to 600 is damn good. The fact the the light doesn't put out the specified 900 lumens is an issue but seems everyone realizes that and is forgiving such a lie.

21 - 40 of 167 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.