Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Monteer 8000S light head only, 8000 lumens max, spot/food beams

I've posted that the Monteer models are available available as a "lighthead only" option on the Magicshine US site before and since this is the way I purchased mine figured I'd review it this way to show a less exensive and lighter way to buy one of these excellent lights.

There's been sooo many reviews of the 8000 version (saying it's one of, if not the best light they've ever used) so I won't go into too much detail other than to agree and touch on a couple of things I haven't seen mentioned in the other reviews and clarify performance expectations.

Everyday + ride to trail use: Floody super powerful beams are not the best for this usage and in the hybrid mode (flood + spot) it's not going to be a popular light with approaching traffic but with careful aiming and in the lower output settings is not too bad in the spot only mode. For road/path situations the extra wide beam is less important and the reduced top spill makes it easier to aim below oncoming eyes while still maintaining reasonable throw for your visibility.

Runtimes/Intensity/Efficiency: Runtimes are probably going to be more than Magicshine's claims unless the light is operated in very cold temperatures! I was shocked when my Monteer 8000 ran slightly over 2.5 hrs in the highest hybrid mode with and equal capacity rated FMA/Hunk Lee ebay battery while doing output testing. The lights output degraded quite a bit (not so much visibly) and I would have been shocked if it hadn't considering the lights overall mass/surface area compared to its output (very close to the 8000 lumen claim @ startup). I wasn't too disappointed that the light stabilized @ about 3600 lumens (81°F ambient) since that's still way more light than I normally run on the bars in any off road situation but was happy to note the linear thermal protection regulation worked smoothly and the stable output level lasted so long. I did play around with cooling the light by holding an ice pack on it for a minute or so and gained almost 1500 lumens so the light should definitely run stronger in cooler temps (and probably weaker when hotter). I also did a full high beam test (fan cooled 81° ambient) with a Vancbiker finned Gopro adapter and bar clamp and saw an increase of over 400 lumens when the light stabilized so excellent accessory for this light. The added output because of the additional cooling increased the current drawn so resulted in shorter runtimes which should continue to get shorter in colder temps.

Worth noting that vertualy all high output lights will lose some output when heating up to operating temperature. Considering the very high initial output of this light it's to be expected losses will be higher as the light is limited by its heat-sink mass and surface area. While realistic stable output of the 8000 may not be all that much greater than other lower output rated lights of similar size the runtimes of the Monteer 8000 are notably better at similar output levels indicating better efficiency.

This is what the Vancbiker Gopro adapter and bar mount look like (Monteer 3500 pictured). This is the Lopro version and the rear facing interface allows for lower mounting which is a benefit for helmet use. Considering the hot blooded nature of this light it's worth considering since with the "lighthead only" option you don't get a mount.

Here's the 5000/10000 mAh 21700 FMA/Hunk Lee ebay batteries I've been using. At 165g/310g with my old battery bags they're considerably lighter than similar capacity MS packs (290g/422g) thou they do lack some of the nice extra features.
Protected Li-Ion Battery 7.2v 10Ah for Magicshine Bike Light Flashlight 50E2S2P | eBay

So I hope this adds something to all the many other reviews out there. I wouldn't stress too much on the lumen chart as this is still the most powerful light I've used with an excellent beam and out-performs the others with efficiency too. I used a discount code I got from one of "thesweetcyclist" reviews for 15% off the MS parts so spent $218 for my 8000 lighthead and ebay battery since I already the battery bag and mounts.
Mole

https://thesweetcyclists.com/magicshine-monteer-8000s/

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Excellent information, thanks much!

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Since your battery is 30% lower capacity than the kit battery, you should expect runtimes to be >35% shorter too. It wont be a direct comparison because the lower overall capacity is less capable of maintaining a current draw without significant voltage drop.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are your thoughts on using the 8000S head with the magic shine 7.2V 7.0 Ah battery that I already have? Would this be a good match andhave similar run times to the bigger battery that comes with the complete kit?

here's the battery that I already have for my mj-906: Magicshine® MJ-6116C 7.2V 7.0Ah USB Battery Pack --Round Plug
After playing around with a few different batteries (5200mAh Magicshine that came with my Monteer 3500, 6800mAh Ituo, 8000mAh Mtiger 6 cell, 10,000mAh FMA/HunkLee ebay battery) my recommendation is to stick with a battery similar in capacity to what comes in the 8000's kit. The two smaller capacity batteries only ran for a few seconds before flashing a couple of times and reducing output to under 5000 lumens. The 8000mAh 6 cell actually had considerably higher initial lux readings but shut down after less than a minute and wouldn't restart till it had sat for a few minutes, leaving the 10,000mAh FMA battery the only one that performed normally. Your existing battery may work fine but couldn't say for sure without testing it.
Mole

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will the light head run a higher voltage pack or will it only handle 7.2v packs?
The website only says compatible with all Magicshine round plug batteries for the Monteer 8000 which are all 7.2v. The new MJ906 which uses the same battery that comes with the Monteer 8000 lists 6-12v compatibility so I'd think if that were the case for the Monteer they would have listed similarly.
Mole

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
What are your thoughts on using the 8000S head with the magic shine 7.2V 7.0 Ah battery that I already have? Would this be a good match andhave similar run times to the bigger battery that comes with the complete kit?

here's the battery that I already have for my mj-906: Magicshine® MJ-6116C 7.2V 7.0Ah USB Battery Pack --Round Plug
Late answer, Anyway, I think with such powerful light and high current flow the problem is voltage sag more than capacity itself. With more cells or bigger cells in parallel voltage sag is smaller while with ordinary 2S2P 18650 sag is significantly bigger. Then protection circuit either in light or in battery pack trip in and cut off power or downgrade output. In some older packs protection circuit the current protection has low treshold and can cut off power, too.

So yes, MrMole is right, 2S2P 21700 cells is way to go with those powerful lights. Or good 2S3P pack with 18650 cells.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts