Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Does Magicshine still exaggerate lumen output. It's been a long time since I've even looked up one of their lights but this is 6500 lumens and a 10500mah battery. That's bright. Even if is was 4k lumens that's gonna be bright!

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Wow. That's a nice looking design. Three up top look to provide a massive flood with the two below providing some throw...or so it tends to lead one to believe. I like the look of the outfront bar mount.

Of course a lot depends on actual output and how the UI works as to whether or not this is a decent lamp. Looks like the three top LED's are Cree XHP-50.2's...lower ones are XML2. With 15 different type of modes I'd have to wonder how easy ( or difficult ) it might be to use the UI. If they had included a wired remote I'd be more impressed. I think a more interesting combination might have been; One XHP-50 in the center with a good flood optic and then two XPL-HI's to the sides for forward throw...and of course with a remote. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The price will be a make or break but what they are showing so far looks good on paper and yeah, even at 4K lumen it is gonna be fun - and in my case I already have a 100w/hr Li Po battery to take care of things..

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, it has been unofficially hinted that it will be around the $350US mark... as nice as a light as it is, I feel that $350 is a little rich for me..

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Okay, it has been unofficially hinted that it will be around the $350US mark... as nice as a light as it is, I feel that $350 is a little rich for me..
If it's an actual 6500 lumen it might be worth the $350....maybe. A lot of that would depend though on just how useful the beam pattern and actual output is going to be. With that much output I would almost have to say that there would ( or is ) going to be a big problem with feedback reflective glare. Since the LED's are likely cool white this will exacerbate the problem even more. Too bad they didn't include a, "Hybrid II" mode using only the center top LED and the two lower. Of course if MagicShine once again is over-estimating the lumen outputs as they did on the previous models than perhaps it might not have as much reflective glare as I anticipate. Looking forward to user reviews.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Wow. That's a nice looking design. Three up top look to provide a massive flood with the two below providing some throw...or so it tends to lead one to believe. I like the look of the outfront bar mount.
Nope. Depending on lenses, but the size wise bigger lenses would produce more throw. So upper 3 are for throw and lower 2 are for flood (smaller lenses). Of curse all will produce some spill so even upper ones might make some usable beam in the near front.

I can predict the light will be shakey for downhill/MTB. For 5 led the mass should be substantial or it can't be used at hi power. At it's weight I'm sceptical on that tiny mount. It might get easily broken.

PS. I saw upper three are using XHP50.2 leds which makes beam more floddy overriding size of the lenses.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
MONTEER-6500-r-16.jpg

From looking at this spec. page listing max lumen's for the spot beam @ 1600 and 5000 for the flood looks like the 2 xm-l emitters handle the spot and the 3 xph handle the flood. Optic/reflector size is confusing.

142 gm lighthead is lighter than what I would have guessed. Probably not going to be an adequate heatsink mass for the 100f degree ride temps I see this time of year.
Mole

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
......Probably not going to be an adequate heatsink mass for the 100f degree ride temps I see this time of year.
If the max output is truly 75 Watts, that light will overheat quickly at 70F let alone 100F. It should have some kind of thermal management that will throttle the output as temp rises.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
If the max output is truly 75 Watts, that light will overheat quickly at 70F let alone 100F. It should have some kind of thermal management that will throttle the output as temp rises.
I agree. My gut is telling me this thing is likely only producing 3K-4K actual lumen. At 6K it would heat up so fast it would drop into low mode within a minute.

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
RAKC Industries
3,265 Posts
Well seeing as the reviews Francis has done on Lupine, I'm agreeing with vanc and such about the issues we will see here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yep, this. 75W is outrageous. That's always going to be the limiting factor for true lumen output, is the case size and heatsink size. We run ours at a max of just around 18-19W and you guys know how warm the case can get when the heat is effectively sinked to the outside properly. Now imagine 4x the heat in a similar case size..... :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Seems it doesent come with a helmet mount. Anyoneknow where to get a garmin helment mount?
Is the garmin computer mount same as the virb mount?

·
Registered
2 Posts
To my understanding, the basic Garmin mount is universal to all of their products.
Hello,

I managed to mount monteer 6500 with standard garmin edge mounto to my helmet.
In my case the angle is also perfect.
And cable lenght to the batterypack is just enough.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X2cdFMBjh95SC46N9

And I test wired light with normal 2s lipo to the thick power connectors.
So it's working without the two extra connector pins.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YdsbrWMKem3Rp2Xu9

Next project would be making an adapter cable for XT60 to MS 4pin connector.
So I can use "normal" RC batterys.

Too bad that only place where I can find the official exension cable is from magicshine.us so the shipping to Finland is 60bucks

Maybe I just take the connector from MS battery and make an XT60 adapter for that also.

And the charger uses only 2 pins for charging so no fancy balancing circuit there.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ed3HcTLuFQsVekBV7

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Hello,

I managed to mount monteer 6500 with standard garmin edge mounto to my helmet.
In my case the angle is also perfect.
And cable lenght to the batterypack is just enough.
Glad you found a way to mount it. Keep in mind no one yet has commented on the lamp itself. I know this is your first post but the least you could of done ( being the first to actually have the light ) was to talk about the light so others know just how useful it might be. People here want to know how bright it is, what kind of beam pattern it has, does it overheat when on it's maximum setting ??, etc, etc. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe that it gives 6500lumens.
but only for about 1minute.
Light get's really hot (not supriced) and the light dims about 50-70% of maximum output.

But it is more than enough.

I have not tested the battery Life on "full" power does the dimming also save battery.

I Will report that later.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
I believe that it gives 6500lumens.
but only for about 1minute.
Light get's really hot (not supriced) and the light dims about 50-70% of maximum output.

But it is more than enough.

I have not tested the battery Life on "full" power does the dimming also save battery.

I Will report that later.
Thanks, pretty much what I expected.

Keeping along the line of thought of triples and more emitters...Anyone else notice that Gloworm is offering a new triple ( 3 x XHP50's ) for 2019? Will be interesting to see what kind of output and beam pattern it offers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts