Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Riiiiiide...
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of my friends, 3 to be exact, have the original MagicLink CoilAir. One just had his replaced because it started to crack where the downtube meets the lower part of the frame. Now, it seems its started on my other friends frame as well.. the same thing, but on his frame the right chainstay just below the MagicLink has also developed a crack, so he's waiting for info from the LBS.

Anybody have info on these frames cracking? Is it common? Should my friends be demanding the updated version or selling off their new frames quick?

·
Trying to be helpful
2,550 Posts
Its common, do a search, those frame were insanely flexy and because of that flex had a tendency to crack very easily. Thats on of the reason Kona changed up the design.

·
Riiiiiide...
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's the thing, i did a search and couldn't find ANYTHING.. and usually i'm pretty darn good at finding things on the net. You have any links?

·
Trying to be helpful
2,550 Posts
PsyCro said:
Yeah that's the thing, i did a search and couldn't find ANYTHING.. and usually i'm pretty darn good at finding things on the net. You have any links?

sure thing, I will do a little work for you...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=688668&highlight=coilair+crack

same guy as above... http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=670446&highlight=coilair

read through the posts you will see others have broken them as well. Ive seen some on other forum as well. Good luck.

·
Riiiiiide...
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hm, how'd i miss that!? Usually i use somethin' like this..
"magic link +crack site:http://forums.mtbr.com".
The MTBR search is so shoddy that i jut don't bother with it anymore.
Thanks though!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Yeah, mine cracked in three locations and the chain stay broke. Saw another guy with a broken chain stay online too "exactly the same place mine broke." A local guy also cracked his frame too and I know he wasn't a particularly aggressive rider. Bad year for that bike for sure! I'm on a Kona Operator FR right now and I am lovin it!

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
It doesn't help that the CoilAir's collection of extra hardware often loosens in usage, and because some require removing the crankarms to access to tighten, many owners never bother to check, ride the bike with an ever loosening and flexing rear end and that increases the likelyhood of a crack forming.

·
Trying to be helpful
2,550 Posts
Has this probelm been fixed on the 2011's.

It would seem, Ive seen no reports of this issue on the 2010+ Coilair lineup. These breakage issues seem to be limited to the earlier version of Magic Link Coilairs, 08-09.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Did anyone else predict this would happen when they first saw that design? I mean the geometrical concept is sound, but the engineered execution was a time bomb of too much load in too many directions on too little material.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts